• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
The Queen Street TrainCrew messroom at York station is allegedly full of Poltergeists.

One Manchester driver, who shall remain nameless ran screaming across the car park back to the main station one night at 3am. Fool.

Xo)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2561Minoru

This one in particular (from the paranormal database) spooks me:

Steam Locomotive

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Weather Dependent: Foggy weather
Further Comments: Said to reappear in the same spot since an accident in the 1920s which killed four people, this large steam locomotive gently glows in its foggy environment.

If im ever in the area, i might actually check this out, i would like to see this haunted loco for myself

Kingmush

One time I was in the centre of Macclesfield when I heard a chime whistle; once, twice, three times. Me and my two friends (both rail people) heard it and rushed down to the station to see the train. Nothing. We asked some station staff if a streamliner on a special diverted came through, the staff said no. Later that day, about 6:00 at night (September time so it was dark) the whistle was heard again. I live half a mile away from the station and it was clearly heard. This continued at 4:00 and at 6:00 daily for a week. Later in the year in august, I was standing at Macc station with my class from school (11 of us) when I heard the rails 'whine' as if a 390 or a 323 was approaching. Nothing came but as the whine became louder and then a sudden wind and then the wining dissipated slowly. It felt like an invisible, silent train had gone through the platform. I asked a girl behind me if she had heard it, she hadn't. My friend next to me, he hadn't. I was the only one in my set to hear it and the only one in my set who's familiar with railways.
Later on a 390 going to London I google'd Macc station ghost. No results. Macc station accident. 1 relevant result. in autumn 1952 a man was in the four-foot when an A4 let out three whistles. As the man jumped into the six-foot, his leg got run over by the train (Huskisson?) and the resultant blood loss killed him within the hour.

Was this the ghost of the A4 that killed this man? Are only people who are familiar with railways able to see this ghost?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Could you post the link to that result please? Tried Googling it myself for more details only this thread keeps coming up, and of course Googling Huskisson just brings up the better known instance of that name being a victim over 100 years earlier...

Just had a thought: It would be very spooky to an extreme if the Macclesfield Huskisson was related to William Huskison wouldn't it?

LE Greys

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, did A4s regularly work through Macclesfield in the 50s? It sounds unusual.

Kingmush

@Peter/ His name isn't Huskisson, just a similar case with the leg. I google'd it on my old phone, but I remember what I google'd, hang on...
Googles 'Macclesfield railway station accident 195*'

Darn... seems the result is either moved pages or been deleted.

It was in 2008 however. Also no other incidents since I have been there many times to go to Manchester.

@Le Greys/ Under BR didn't locomotives move around a-bit back then. Or the A4 could've been covering for another locomotive that had failed.

--Post modified after Peter's post --

I am giving you guys all the story as I can remember from my point of view. Do bear in mind the date (2008), that is a while ago for me.

-forethought--

I have what I think is the reason for the rails humming and the odd breeze. Could it be air turbulence in the Macc tunnel (about 300 yards from the station) that caused the noise?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
OK thanks, I'll have another look on Google later myself, but not tonight. Maybe someone else will find it first?

Kingmush

Ok, I gave up on page 5. I have forgotten that the link was called so it could be any of them

Just to clear up any ill-thoughts. I am not fabricating this. Even if we can't find this site, it definitely happened. Like I said, I am recalling to the best of my abilities of an event that others deny.

My friends and I all heard the chime and so too my parents.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Oh I believe you about hearing the chime and other noises ( as you had no pre-knowledge of anything ). Curious about the 1950s incident that could have led to it...

Kingmush

I questioned my-self as well about the A4 in Macc, but an old guy (who has sadly moved on) remembers streaks in Macc.

Another thought occurs, they was the man in the four-foot when a train was due?

Strange@Crewe

Great discussion! Right down my line.. I see you have Herbert's book mentioned. Also see Railway Ghosts by JA Brook, 0711702454 and for an american flavour Ghost Train - American Railroad Ghost Legends, 1883089417.

I also have been given information about experiences around Crewe Station which form part of a ghost tour. ;)

Cheers,

Tim

Kernowfem

Great discussion! Right down my line.. I see you have Herbert's book mentioned. Also see Railway Ghosts by JA Brook, 0711702454 and for an american flavour Ghost Train - American Railroad Ghost Legends, 1883089417.

I also have been given information about experiences around Crewe Station which form part of a ghost tour. ;)

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for that. Ive got the JA Brooks book too, and it makes for a very good read. Also the ghost now standing at platform one is another good book. So tell us, what exactly is strange at Crew...i'd love to hear about it :)

Strange@Crewe

...not giving it all away ;)

Sounds of Children playing between platforms 9 / 10 (Chester terminus) and 11, a ghostly footprint of a child by a cleaner in one of the staff toilets she'd just cleaned, and uncanny presence in the first class lounge during the night picked up by two people individually without cross reference.

Many thanks,

Tim

Thought I'd get this thread going again.

Here's an image which has popped up on the WNXX forum a few times: http://simon71.fotopic.net/p34884903.html

Have to say, this s**t me up when I first saw it. Whether it's just the shape of the smoke creating what appears to be a person or whether it really is the genuine article or not I don't know. For the record, I can't find any account of Tangmere itself being haunted.

Dai.

Established Member

Here's an image which has popped up on the WNXX forum a few times: http://simon71.fotopic.net/p34884903.html

Have to say, this s**t me up when I first saw it. Whether it's just the shape of the smoke creating what appears to be a person or whether it really is the genuine article or not I don't know. For the record, I can't find any account of Tangmere itself being haunted.

Looked at the picture closely, not a haunting, just someone moving out of the engine as the pictures snapped.

Dai.

Established Member
But you have to take into account depth - how far away from the camera is he, where was he moving, what were the camera shutter settings, how quickly did it take the picture. You can clearly see his legs at the bottom of the picture, I'd say he's stood almost centre in the cab, and he's about 6ft.

Kernowfem

Really interesting picture! whoever he is he doesnt look very pleased lol. Its hard to say what it could be as im not photography expert, but certainly worth looking at. Thanks for sharing.

Hydro

Established Member
Judging by the way the steam appears, that just looks like a long exposure capturing the fireman moving. Long exposures of brief moving objects can produce a ghostly effect.

Judging by the way the steam appears, that just looks like a long exposure capturing the fireman moving. Long exposures of brief moving objects can produce a ghostly effect.

If I'm dead honest (no pun intended), I hadn't noticed the legs when I made my original posting. You're quite right, it could easily be a long exposure. And besides anything else, Tangmere has never reputed to have been haunted.

The only loco rumoured to be haunted, to my knowledge, is DRS machine 37069. It's No.2 cab is said to contain a nasty presence. Apparently a Thornaby driver was tragically killed when a large object smashed through the front window, killing him out right. But despite this, some DRS drivers have never reported anything strange in either cab.

(Off-topic) By the way, if anyone is wondering about the signature... I'm a big Duran Duran fan and their new album is stonking, so I felt the need to spread the word about it. Best record I've heard in a long time and certainly the best album they've made since "Rio" (and it also sounds like the "Rio" album, if you're into that sort of music).

Last edited:

Dai.

Established Member
When you zoom in on the image, you can clearly see his feet and legs, although his one foot is oddly shaped!

kentuckytony

That picture really made me do a double-take!
The face on the fireman is a doppel-ganger for my brother.
(He is in San Diego, CA.)
I had to send the link to him to see what he thinks.
Johntimes2.jpg

One on the left is my brother last July.

Hydro

Established Member
Blimey, is your brother Race Bannon from Johnny Quest?

kentuckytony

He probably could have been! :D

Jonny Quest was a bit after our youth, so I had to look up Race Bannon.
Maybe Race was modelled on my brother.

My brother agrees the "ghost" looks like him.
For Hydro he says, "No one has ever before accused me of looking like the square-jawed, rugged he-man type. All compliments gladly accepted!!"

Last edited:

Clint

exactly !!!
and have you ever noticed 2 people have never seen a ghost its always 1 person..

At between 2 and 3 in the morning, a standard lamp shot from one side of my friends' pub to the other, and there were 3 of them there to see it!

uk_guy_1971

i found this information out for you guys tho Steam scenes at Macclesfield

http://www.astronomiainumbria.org/a...canica/easyweb.easynet.co.uk/_chrish/macc.htm

Are our railways haunted? good topic ;) answer to that question is yes hundreds of haunted railway locations up & down the whole of the UK even the very old disused railways especially with them having no rail tracks for trains to fly down on but witnesses still hear old steam trains running down them :o

for a example,

Clanks of the Carriage

Location: Nottingham (Nottinghamshire) - Thorneywood Station (no longer operational) and tunnel (now bricked up)
Date / Time: 1960s, 1970s
Further Comments: Sounds of old steam engines, and the clanking of carriages were heard around this former station, even though the last train to pass through was in 1951. The tunnel was said to be haunted by the sounds of footsteps that crunched on the gravel, and some say that a ghostly train still travels through it.

also another good one i would like to share with you all,

Steam Engine

Location: Nottingham (Nottinghamshire) - Mapperley Tunnel, southern end
Date / Time: 1970
Further Comments: Two school children playing in the tunnel heard a steam engine rapidly approaching them - terrified they ran out into the fresh air. A few seconds after their escape they realised that the train could not have existed, as the north end of the tunnel was barricaded.

Chapeltown WW2 Soldiers
The alleged ghosts are said to be WWII soldiers, killed by bomb blast whilst on the train to the old tank factory in Chapeltown, Sheffield.

The disused railway station can be found by trekking though approximately a mile of dense woodland from the west (J35A), from White Lane. Part of this once-beautiful building is still lived in.

& here is the location of the old railway station

chapeltownhauntedrailwaystation.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.