• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Stansted, Gatwick etc. "London airports"?

Wolfie

Established Member
You might also want to contact a few others too, such as BBC's Watchdog and the Guardian's consumer champions (contact details at the bottom of the piece).

I do find it very strange that these airports can call themselves "London" airports when they're nowhere in London. Southend is in Essex, Luton is in Bedfordshire and Gatwick is in Sussex!
Stansted is of course also in Essex. The only two major airports actually in London are City and Heathrow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Stansted is of course also in Essex. The only two major airports actually in London are City and Heathrow.

The only airport in London is City Airport because it is the only one that has a London post code.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The only airport in London is City Airport because it is the only one that has a London post code.
Royal Mail are always clear to admit that a postal code is just that. Its NOT a geographical location. It's purely their way to sort and route mail.

jfollows

Established Member
To me, they're all London airports because I've got to go to and through London to get to them - well, I drove to Stansted once I guess.
To me it comes down to perspective, when I lived in Portsmouth I liked Gatwick because it was easy to get to and didn't need a trip via London, and I'd have been less likely to describe it as a "London" airport than I do now.

It's less an issue than Paris, where if you're not careful you end up on "connecting" flights which use different airports. I'm not sure that happens much in the UK, other than deliberately by the passenger.

Wolfie

Established Member
To me, they're all London airports because I've got to go to and through London to get to them - well, I drove to Stansted once I guess.
To me it comes down to perspective, when I lived in Portsmouth I liked Gatwick because it was easy to get to and didn't need a trip via London, and I'd have been less likely to describe it as a "London" airport than I do now.

It's less an issue than Paris, where if you're not careful you end up on "connecting" flights which use different airports. I'm not sure that happens much in the UK, other than deliberately by the passenger.
Re your last para it happened more when BAA owned all of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted.

Ted633

You can get from Gatwick to Central London in half an hour. I think that's good enough to be called a 'London' airport.

Cdd89

Established Member
Travel time (by the fastest available ground transport option) is probably the most useful metric; any airport that can be reached in less than an hour from Central London, in line with most cities' international airports, is a London airport. This means further airports can be brought into the fold as rail infrastructure improves.

Frequency and onward connections matter though; the time needs to account for the average waiting time for a train, and any connections from the London terminus to somewhere reasonably in Central London. That probably caps it at a 15 minute frequency (minimum), and a 40 minute journey time (maximum).

PTR 444

Established Member
Travel time (by the fastest available ground transport option) is probably the most useful metric; any airport that can be reached in less than an hour from Central London, in line with most cities' international airports, is a London airport. This means further airports can be brought into the fold as rail infrastructure improves.

Frequency and onward connections matter though; the time needs to account for the average waiting time for a train, and any connections from the London terminus to somewhere reasonably in Central London. That probably caps it at a 15 minute frequency (minimum), and a 40 minute journey time (maximum).
Does that mean Birmingham will become a “London” airport once HS2 opens?

There's no question about Gatwick being a "London Airport".

The modern day Gatwick was originally built in the late 1950's (opened in 1958) specifically as London's 2nd airport, replacing several older, smaller London area airports.
It replaced the last remnants of Croydon airport, which had already run down to almost nothing after WW2, as well as Blackbushe and Bovingdon airports.
Most of Northolt's substantial commercial traffic, moved to Heathrow in the mid 50's.

The new Gatwick, was built mostly on the old racecourse and farmland to the north and west of the original 1930's airport of the same name.
The original 1930's "Beehive" terminal building, still stands in the middle of an industrial and business area, located half a mile to the south of the eastern end of the present day Gatwick runway.

gerjomarty

There is actually a (maybe, sorta) definitive answer here. IATA has a list of Metropolitan Area Airport Codes that are three character codes designed to include all of the airport codes in a metropolitan area. Wikitravel have a full list here.

I haven't cross checked with the official IATA database, but the linked page gives these airports to be in the LON code for London:

• London Biggin Hill IATA: BQH
  • London City IATA: LCY
  • London Gatwick IATA: LGW
  • London Luton IATA: LTN
  • London Heathrow IATA: LHR
  • London Southend IATA: SEN
  • London Stansted IATA: STN

Dr_Paul

Established Member
So, no London Oxford, then? :lol:
I'm pretty sure that a few years back I saw a proposal to make Kidlington another London Airport. Having Kiddles as 'London Oxford Airport' would be like having Denham as 'London Slough Airport' or Elstree as 'London Watford Airport'.

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that a few years back I saw a proposal to make Kidlington another London Airport. Having Kiddles as 'London Oxford Airport' would be like having Denham as 'London Slough Airport' or Elstree as 'London Watford Airport'.
It’s not just a proposal, it’s how they brand themselves https://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/
Or did you mean being added to the IATA code for London?

BJames

Established Member
It's satire about Ryanair labelling Beauvais as "Paris Beauvais" and Girona as "Barcelona Girona". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you :lol: had no idea they did this but the reason I even looked it up in the first place was because I genuinely considered that they might have done it... :D

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Thank you :lol: had no idea they did this but the reason I even looked it up in the first place was because I genuinely considered that they might have done it... :D

They used to do Copenhagen (Malmo) and Vienna (Bratislava) as well, which was endlessly amusing for me.

But then again, look at Frankfurt-Hahn, which was branding itself that way for a long time.

Bergamo airport (Orio) only became known as Milan-Bergamo, when Ryanair set up camp there, about 20 years ago.