• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any remaining trains with slam doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangyiscute

Established Member
I know the GWR night Riviera still uses coaches with slam doors, but are there any other regular passengers services which still use slam doors? I might have to go to Paddington one evening and just open and close a door for a bit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I know the GWR night Riviera still uses coaches with slam doors, but are there any other regular passengers services which still use slam doors? I might have to go to Paddington one evening and just open and close a door for a bit.
No, no other passenger slam doors now - there are still plenty of crew operated slam doors of course.

In theory, passengers shouldn't operate any doors manually on the National Rail network as sufficient stewards should be provided on all railtours for all doors and they alone should operate the doors.

You may draw rather a lot of attention to yourself if you start playing with the doors at Paddington without good reason.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No, no other passenger slam doors now - there are still plenty of crew operated slam doors of course.

In theory, passengers shouldn't operate any doors manually on the National Rail network as sufficient stewards should be provided on all railtours for all doors and they alone should operate the doors.

There are heritage units with central locking and slam doors which don't need to be steward operated (unless there has been additional unnecessary regulation).

KC1

Love that last comment. Brilliant.

I really miss that sound of the slam doors, the scenes of busy commenter trains pulling into platforms and the doors flying open whilst the train is still moving.

Those days. Now we just have the crud’s of soulless, characterless 700s.

:D:D:D

Established Member

You may draw rather a lot of attention to yourself if you start playing with the doors at Paddington without good reason.
I slammed a door when I alighted the Night Riviera at Paddington. I was one of the last off, no crew in sight and nothing to indicate I shouldn't.

It was only as I did it I realised how much I missed that sound! I might have reopened it and closed it again... I'd have just said I didn't think it was properly shut if I'd been challenged for that.

If its the sound you miss, the guard's doors on the remaining HSTs are still slam doors. It is for this reason I tend to sit in these coaches where possible (and because they are usually emptier being at the ends).

KC1

If its the sound you miss, the guard's doors on the remaining HSTs are still slam doors. It is for this reason I tend to sit in these coaches where possible (and because they are usually emptier being at the ends).
What services do they remain please?

FOH

165/6s and 465/0s, if you close your eyes give a similar sound effect

On Moderation
XC, GWR and Scotrail still have HSTs with the singular non-passenger slam door
Not ScotRail - there is one slam door next to the buffet but it is for emergency use only, so you won't hear it slam.

Speed43125

Not ScotRail - there is one slam door next to the buffet but it is for emergency use only, so you won't hear it slam.
Oh yeah that's true, they're dispatched from a service door.

Have seen it open once in the very early days at Queen Street, but as you say, they are meant to be emergency doors.

_toommm_

Established Member
150/1 have the slam door for the crew door, so if you're after the sound of a slam, you'll hear that when one is dispatched.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Even some brand new trains have a slam hinged door for the driver - eg the 195s, 331s, 80x fleet. However, the frequency of use of this door is less than any other aperture.

LowLevel

Established Member
Just go to a heritage railway and you too can operate a slam door of varying vintages from the 19th century to the 1970s without looking like you're a few pennies short of a pound.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I really miss that sound of the slam doors, the scenes of busy commenter trains pulling into platforms and the doors flying open whilst the train is still moving.
Those days. Now we just have the crud’s of soulless, characterless 700s.
The Siemens Desiro classes (350, 450, 185 etc) make quite a good fist of emulating the Southern EMU door "c_r_ump" as they close (noisily).
As they were initially ordered for SWT, I always suspected they put that in the spec. ;)
But it's an unusual sound to hear along the WCML and TP routes.

507 001

Established Member
The WCRC Jacobite service runs with slam door Mk1/Mk2 sets, and doesn’t have a Steward at each door (or even in each coach).

Supercoss

Whilst not passenger stock as such is the New Measurement Train HST the only 100mph+ stock without central door locking ob skam doors ??

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Deutsche Bahn still has a few knocking around, though they are becoming rare now.

Status
Not open for further replies.