• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any restrictions on this ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

Via my work I can get a special ticket at a good price (Cant disclose) It is a First Anytime Single (Virgin Trains Only) from Glasgow to London Euston. Ticket states
TICKET TYPE - ANYTIME
DESCRIPTION. - Flexible ticket with no time restrictions on when you can travel.
VALIDITY. - Your journey must be on the date, or the day after the date, specified on the ticket.
BREAK OF JOURNEY.
You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel.
Route. - Only valid on booked Virgin Trains services.
Questions
1. Can I do a break of Journey and stop overnight in Wigan
2. Could a Colleague from Wigan also use this ticket and start short at Wigan on Outbound and leave train at Wigan on return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Questions
1. Can I do a break of Journey and stop overnight in Wigan
2. Could a Colleague from Wigan also use this ticket and start short at Wigan on Outbound and leave train at Wigan on return.

1. Yes

2. If they have their own ticket then yes they can but you can't give them your ticket to let them use the validity from Wigan to London and back.

sdrennan

Thanks. the Wigan to London passenger would have their own ticket as I would be on the same train

furlong

Established Member
Via my work I can get a special ticket at a good price (Cant disclose)

What is the discount code on the ticket? This might impose additional restrictions on its use.
What is the ticket's face value?

furlong

Established Member
Validity can also be affected by where and for whom the tickets are originally purchased. You shouldn't attempt to use the tickets unless you're 100% sure they were acquired legitimately and you are adhering to their full terms and conditions.

sdrennan

I think the ticket price was 246.50 with a heavy discount. This was corporate booking

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, a passenger can either break their journey and resume it (as you will be doing) or start 'short' (as your colleague will be doing)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think the ticket price was 246.50 with a heavy discount. This was corporate booking

£246.50 is the normal price for an Any Permitted First Anytime Single (no point buying it anyway if you plan to use Virgin WC direct, there's a VTWC ONLY ticket which is £244.50).

I've not heard of open, Any Permitted tickets being *heavily* discounted for corporates by travel agents before because the full value still needs to be redistributed via ORCATS, meaning any discount leaves the retailer at a loss (or eradicates their commission)!

sdrennan

Thanks Yotkie.

It was discounted from 246.60 to a corporate price which makes it managable to pay the difference compared to an off peak return

furlong

Established Member
So are you saying it's just a normal ticket with one of the discounts for business customers applied, which might be 25% off this particular ticket?

gray1404

Established Member
Are you sure the ticket is not "Virgin Trains Only" or "Virgin Trains West Coast Only"? Its just if the ticket is any Anytime ticket in terms of ticket type, it could not have a further restriction of Only valid on booked Virgin Trains services. Anytime tickets are valid on any train (subject to any route/or train company restrictions shown) and cannot be booked train only.

sdrennan

One error with the info I gave
The original price is shown as £244.50 and states
Only valid on booked Virgin Trains services.
Flexible ticket with no time restrictions on when you can travel.

And the discount is a lot lot more than 25 %

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
One error with the info I gave
The original price is shown as £244.50 and states
Only valid on booked Virgin Trains services.
Flexible ticket with no time restrictions on when you can travel.

Not wishing to cast doubt on what you've said but I've never heard of discounts for corporate clients of "a lot lot more than 25%" particularly on flexible first class Anytimes. They'd usually sell carnets or a special product for that.

I used to work for VTWC and now work for the civil service which has one of, if not *the* largest corporate agreement with respect to train tickets in Britain, and the prices we are offered on flexible tickets aren't at that kind of discount!

Are you sure this sales channel is legit? How much are you/your work being asked to pay exactly and through which channel?

najaB

Veteran Member
I used to work for VTWC and now work for the civil service which has one of, if not *the* largest corporate agreement with respect to train tickets in Britain, and the prices we are offered on flexible tickets aren't at that kind of discount!
I agree. My previous employer spent something in the region of £15M a year on train travel and we didn't get discounts like that.

furlong

Established Member

Are you talking about TADA? (I.e. a priv-like discount available to travel agency staff to use on a limited number of occasions determined by the agency's volume of business)
Tickets issued under that scheme are subject to some additional time restrictions.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Are you talking about TADA? (I.e. a priv-like discount available to travel agency staff to use on a limited number of occasions determined by the agency's volume of business)
Tickets issued under that scheme are subject to some additional time restrictions.

This is the only discount I can think of too.

sdrennan

The ticket is booked via Trainline (Business) so definitely legit. My Company mandates we make all bookings via them and they settle the costs centrally.

I have previously seen large discounts which gave a price of about £130 for First class single (About the same as a Standard Off Peak single at the time but this offer is even better.

I just have to justify why I use it over the normal off peak ticket which is cheaper

furlong

Established Member
I have previously seen large discounts which gave a price of about £130 for First class single (About the same as a Standard Off Peak single at the time but this offer is even better.

Sounds like a promotional fare similar to this one last year

We’re pleased to be working with Virgin Trains West Coast to offer a special new one way first class anytime fare exclusively for sale through selected travel management companies.

The fare of £96 is available between 29 April – 24 June 2016 on Virgin Trains West Coast services between London Euston – Glasgow Central, Birmingham New Street – Glasgow Central and Birmingham New Street – Edinburgh Waverley.

Contact your TMG account management team for further details or to make a booking, this fare is available to book via our online system as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.