• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there still any 'bashers' on today's railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crewe Exile

Im wondering if there are still haulage enthusiasts on today's railways?...are there any survivors from the 70s/80s heyday where bashers seemed to be everywhere?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
There are plenty still posting on this very forum! I'm sure they'll check in when they see this.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Click on the "New Posts" link and you will find at least 166 of them on the first page.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Replying directly to post #1 it may depend on whether you think travelling by units counts as "haulage". There are plenty of unit bashers out there and from experience I know some of them are "time-served" loco-bashers. Indeed on a trip to Scotland once I came across a couple of guys who appeared to be indulging in this in an incognito manner and engaged them in conversation. The enthusiasm was still there but when I broached the subject of nostalgic reminiscences they asked me not to. It was, apparently, too dispiriting to remember how good things used to be on that front. Of course the younger generation of bashers don't really know what they missed; where have I heard that before...?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If you know where to go, there are some units that really do "thrash" enough to get the adrenaline flowing, believe it or not.

Sitting at the back of the upper deck of the trailers on a Z20500 from Paris Gare de Lyon surface with first stop Melun is a particularly good sector and class of train to try this.

Keith Jarrett

Well, I'm still here in my 41st year of bashing - had quite a few years off and on. OK locos don't often come my way these days but I've been logging everything since 1978 and logged a lot since 1973. I still need various locos but most are caged on preserved railways and I have yet to venture beyond these shores.

fowler9

Established Member
I think there are plenty. I am not among them as units just don't do it for me but fair play for anyone who enjoys it, as long as they enjoy I won't knock them for it. It does baffle me when people say they got amazing thrash off something like a Northern 319 though. I still love travelling by train and for those who still go bashing I reckon it is a great and informative pastime as you will get to see some places you otherwise wouldn't which broadens the mind and if you get like a 158 that you consider to be a real catch then again fair play.

There is plenty of bashers still about I am one of them !.Nothing will beat the early 80s peaks,duffs,cromptons,tractors etc.All took for granted then especially when you lived in Sheffield summer Saturday heaven :p,turning up at Sheffield finding the gen from the main men then just deciding NE/SW for NB peaks and duffs or Yarmouth for the 40s or skeggy for 20s/31s or the famous tinsley 37 to blackpool oh how I miss them days doing everything to avoid the trams (125) now I chase the damn trams o_O

fowler9

Established Member
There is plenty of bashers still about I am one of them !.Nothing will beat the early 80s peaks,duffs,cromptons,tractors etc.All took for granted then especially when you lived in Sheffield summer Saturday heaven :p,turning up at Sheffield finding the gen from the main men then just deciding NE/SW for NB peaks and duffs or Yarmouth for the 40s or skeggy for 20s/31s or the famous tinsley 37 to blackpool oh how I miss them days doing everything to avoid the trams (125) now I chase the damn trams o_O
Those were the days indeed.

The amount of duffs ive turned down in the 80s was unbelievable now in gods train set :rolleyes: never to be bashed didn't bash the WCML sparkys either thinking they would go on for ever regrets big style,now im chasing the 91s before they go to give way to plastic junk .Give this man a tardis and a freedom of Scotland and a ALR

fowler9

Established Member
The amount of duffs ive turned down in the 80s was unbelievable now in gods train set :rolleyes: never to be bashed didn't bash the WCML sparkys either thinking they would go on for ever regrets big style,now im chasing the 91s before they go to give way to plastic junk .Give this man a tardis and a freedom of Scotland and a ALR
Ha ha. I skipped loads of duffs as well, gutted. Did manage to get all the 87's and most of the 86's.

I need 3 87s for haulage and 1 is still running on the sleepers :p so hopefully in the book got about 75% of 86s .Best thing is the one 45 I need for haulage to clear what was running when I started in 79 is good old 45041 so I can clear them providing it does not go bang

fowler9

Established Member
I need 3 87s for haulage and 1 is still running on the sleepers :p so hopefully in the book got about 75% of 86s .Best thing is the one 45 I need for haulage to clear what was running when I started in 79 is good old 45041 so I can clear them providing it does not go bang
Good luck mate. Ha ha. At least is still doable.

Established Member
Still a few generally quietly building mileage on 68s. Sure TPE starting will bring some more doorstep challenge people out the woodwork.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The great thing about this hobby is that you make it whatever you want to make it.

Some people find enjoyment hunting down the last surviving members of a class, some people want to get all of the newest units while on their first runs; some people want to just see, some have to photograph, some have to ride onboard, some have to ride for 100 miles etc. etc.

Oscar46016

Yes!!!
I was thinking the same thing - I've only reconnected with "trainspotting" in the last couple of months - by way of working in an office that overlooks Cardiff Central.
I used to "bash" in the late 70s early eighties.
Started off as just collecting different locos for haulage, then tried to get as many miles as possible out of the remaining class 45s/46s ( Hence the Avatar )!
I used to do quite a few trips to crewe on the Cardiff Crewe trains with 25's and the odd occasional Peak.
There are not many locos these days, however I am planning a trip to get some 68's between Brum Moor St on the Marylebone runs.
Oscar

Oscar46016

I agree - loved the Manchester Reg as well - top loco.

The_Train

Established Member
You will love them. Great noisy beasts.

I've become a massive fan of the 68s since getting back into this earlier this year. A couple were opened up as they went past my place on the flasks earlier and I had to readjust my pictures afterwards :lol:

theblackwatch

Established Member
how sad that most today "bash" units. Hardly worth bothering about tbh.

A bit like non-premier league football teams? :lol:

Still plenty to bash, especially if you broaden your horizons (the days of getting a load of engines on a West Yorkshire Day Rover or Devon Day Ranger are gone!). This year, I've managed to score 29 BR/Ex BR locos, plus a 3 figure number abroad. I'll also go out for rides behind locos that I enjoy, and yes, I do go after units too.

fowler9

Established Member
I've become a massive fan of the 68s since getting back into this earlier this year. A couple were opened up as they went past my place on the flasks earlier and I had to readjust my pictures afterwards :lol:
Getting a few Trans Pennine ones past the back of my house now on driver training and they make a decent racket. I'll be out and about more once they start running from Lime Street.

Not had a 68 yet ive heard them they sound awesome,booked on a marylebourne to brum trip in june bloody unit turned up instead <( came back on pendo going to London this wknd for a 5 day spotting fest with a day trip to brum on sat but no 68s at decent times so WCML both ways .And all for the sum 0f £11.30 pendo up vomiter back .

route101

Established Member
Not had a 68 yet ive heard them they sound awesome,booked on a marylebourne to brum trip in june bloody unit turned up instead <( came back on pendo going to London this wknd for a 5 day spotting fest with a day trip to brum on sat but no 68s at decent times so WCML both ways .And all for the sum 0f £11.30 pendo up vomiter back .

Happened to me on the Chiltern , 168 vice MK3 set . Though been on the Fife Circle Class 68 set .

I suppose im a route basher , im interested in travelling in all the routes you can . I notice a lot of the younger enthusiasts will have a favourite unit or something.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
how sad that most today "bash" units. Hardly worth bothering about tbh.

I'm sure most people would love to be back in the 70s bashing endless streams of BR Blue locomotives on every working, or travelling out to Eastern Europe for giant ex-Soviet beasts and old BR electrics, but alas money and time are somewhat limiting. So you have to make the best of what is available!

AJM580

I started recording haulage in 1981, and still find there's plenty to get interested in. 68s are probably the best things on the rails at the moment, although round here we have the 37 hauled set for a bit. I expect that when all the new stuff that is coming to Greater Anglia arrives on these shores I'll be out sampling them. I also find that some of the preserved railways offer a good deal of nostalgia as well

Status
Not open for further replies.