• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Buses (including Greenline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerOut

Drivers are leaving because Jesmond is closing and they don't want to move to Blyth or Ashington.

I’m guessing in that case that there will be a lot of ‘dead ‘running then? Drivers starting early in the morning will have to travel to Jesmond presumably to start the routes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RELL6L

I’m guessing in that case that there will be a lot of ‘dead ‘running then? Drivers starting early in the morning will have to travel to Jesmond presumably to start the routes?
This was discussed quite a bit a few posts back. Yes, largely, but probably not to central Newcastle, eg Cramlington for the 43. Assuming drivers do transfer!

philjo

Established Member
Arriva buses in Hertfordshire are affected by a strike on 5 and 6 September.

Details from the Intalink site:
https://www.intalink.org.uk/arriva-planned-strikes-hertfordshire-network

Arriva strikes planned on Hertfordshire network​

2 days ago Fri 2nd Sep 2022

Strike action across Arriva services is planned for Monday 5th September from 03:00 until Wednesday 7th September at 03:00 across Hertfordshire.
During this time please check ahead before you travel and leave more time to complete your journey, there will be considerable disruption across the Hertfordshire network. If your journey is not essential we recommend not travelling.
Services run by other operators and not operated by Arriva will be running as normal but are expected to be considerably busier, particularly in areas where affected Arriva services operate.
The only Arriva services that will be operating during this time are the 86 and 724 services.
In addition, there will be a limited service on 310 Hertford - Waltham Cross and 331Hertford - Buntingford which will operate around school requirements.
For more information please visit the Arriva website for details on strike action.
The following services will NOT be operating for the duration of the strike.
2 Bennets End to Woodhall Farm
3 Hemel Hempstead to Grovehill
4 Grovehill to Warners End
6 Welwyn Garden City to Shire Park
8 Watford to Mount Vernon Hospital
9 Watford Town Centre to Leavesden Park
10 Abbots Langley to Holywell Estate
20 Hemel Hempstead to Holywell Estate
55 Letchworth to Stevenage
66 Waltham Cross to Debden
97/98 Hitchin to Stotfold
100/101 Stevenage to Luton
251 Waltham Abby to Hammond Street
301/302 Stevenage to St Albans & Hemel Hempstead
308/309 Thorley Park to Bishop's Stortford
308/380 Cuffley to Hertford
311 Bishops Stortford to Stortford Fields
321 Luton to Watford
324 Ware to Welwyn Garden City
335/336 Watford to Amersham
357 Harpenden to Borehamwood
378/379 Stevenage to Hertford
390 Ware/Hertford to Stevenage
395 Hertford to Ware
401 Welwyn Garden City to Panshanger
403 Welwyn Garden City to Haldens
500 Watford to Aylesbury
508/509/510 Harlow to Stansted Airport
821 Watford to Maple Cross
824 Adeyfield to JFK Kennedy School
856 Six Hills Way - John Henry Newman School
C1 Rosedale Estate to Cuffley Railway Station
M2 Ware Railway Station to Kingsway
M3 Ware Railway Station to Wareside
M4 Ware Railway Station to Wareside
M5 Ware Railway Station to Lower Bourne Gardens
SB1 Stevenage Bus Station to Chells Manor
SB2 Stevenage Bus Station to St Nicholas
SB3 Stevenage Bus Station to St Nicholas
SB4/SB40 Stevenage Bus Station to Broadwater
SB5/SB50 Stevenage Bus Station to Broadwater
SB6 Stevenage Bus Station to Shephall
SB7 Stevenage Bus Station to Great Ashby
SB8/SB9 Stevenage Bus Station to Symonds Green/Bragbury End
SB10 Stevenage Bus Station to Old Town
SB11 Stevenage Inner Circle to Old Town

Mwanesh

They have gone on strike due to a slight difference in pay. One side of the Old Shires business will be on £15.09 and the other will be on £15.00.They have asked for parity but you know management.

SteveHFC

Arriva in Luton are also on strike today - publicity about it has been very poor. Just back from a walk and found people waiting for buses (at stops that are only served by Arriva) and had no idea the buses weren't running today or tomorrow.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
A lot of strikes in Arriva divisions, more so than the other big bus groups.

Makes you wonder what's going on with the big bosses. They've already had to back down in Yorkshire and Merseyside and they've also trashed any remaining goodwill they had in those areas, I can't see it ending any other way elsewhere. Maybe they think the withheld pay from strike days will pay for the wage rises?

RogerOut

Well if Arriva up north is paying a higher salary than their colleagues in the South East, you can see their reasons for striking..

Typhoon

Established Member

philjo

Established Member
I see the 97/98 will also be rerouted via Purwell which will lengthen the journey between Hitchin and Letchworth.

RELL6L

And the 500 split in Hemel, with a 508 running Hemel to Watford to Mount Vernon, taking over the 8. Maybe this will end the joint operation between Aylesbury and Hemel Hempstead depots. Seems sensible, the 8 was a long way from base.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
And the 500 split in Hemel, with a 508 running Hemel to Watford to Mount Vernon, taking over the 8. Maybe this will end the joint operation between Aylesbury and Hemel Hempstead depots. Seems sensible, the 8 was a long way from base.
That's correct, Aylesbury will just do the 500.

Russel

Just something I've been thinking about in regard to Arriva, they seem to have ended up in the state First were in around 2010, shabby fleet, no investment...

When was the last decent sized order Arriva placed for new stock?

A0wen

On Moderation

Breaking the Watford - Aylesbury link which dates back to London Transport days (301 and 706 in LT / LCBS days).

sk688

Breaking the Watford - Aylesbury link which dates back to London Transport days (301 and 706 in LT / LCBS days).
ironic that Sundays will see a better Watford-Aylesbury direct link now , with the 501 remaining

A0wen

On Moderation
ironic that Sundays will see a better Watford-Aylesbury direct link now , with the 501 remaining

Not the only example in Herts.

The weekday 242 operated by Metroline only runs Potters Bar - Cheshunt, with most journeys only going between Cuffley and Cheshunt, yet the Sunday service - which Arriva are taking over from Uno continues from Potters Bar to Hatfield and Welwyn Gdn City.

philjo

Established Member
I saw an Arriva minibus running the 97 stotfold to Hitchin service this evening. Looked like a 15 seater or thereabouts. It is normally a full-size bus. Wondering if this is due to a vehicle shortage, or an attempt to save fuel ?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not quite Arriva but something that may influence what happens to it... https://www.reuters.com/business/au...l-schenker-logistics-unit-sources-2022-09-08/

According to Reuters, The German Government has agreed in principle with Deutsche Bahn to sell its Schenker logistics business.

lg.php

Banking sources value Schenker between 12 and 20 billion euros ($19.97 billion), although valuation calculations will be influenced by the state of the global economy and impact from the war in Ukraine and the ongoing energy crisis.

A sale of the logistics company began following the transition to Germany’s coalition government, led by Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s Social Democrats (SPD) last year.

The supervisory board of state-owned Deutsche Bahn will approve the sale as soon as possible, potentially this year, sources told Reuters.

hst43102

Just something I've been thinking about in regard to Arriva, they seem to have ended up in the state First were in around 2010, shabby fleet, no investment...

When was the last decent sized order Arriva placed for new stock?
To be fair, Arriva have been doing some limited investment in the last year or so - sizeable orders of Streetdecks and Streetlites for Merseyside, Volvos for Luton and Enviro's for Northumbria. Still hardly compensates for the lack of orders in the last few years though.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
To be fair, Arriva have been doing some limited investment in the last year or so - sizeable orders of Streetdecks and Streetlites for Merseyside, Volvos for Luton and Enviro's for Northumbria. Still hardly compensates for the lack of orders in the last few years though.
Limited is being charitable. They have taken less than 100 new vehicles which could be understood given the state of the industry, but it compounds the issue of insufficient investment in the past.

They got away with it because people were far too obsessed with giving pelters at First, long after Moir had gone and the rights issue and the various divestments. Arriva's decline has been evident for a long while but folks were too concerned with First.

hst43102

Limited is being charitable. They have taken less than 100 new vehicles which could be understood given the state of the industry, but it compounds the issue of insufficient investment in the past.

They got away with it because people were far too obsessed with giving pelters at First, long after Moir had gone and the rights issue and the various divestments. Arriva's decline has been evident for a long while but folks were too concerned with First.
Agreed, and the investment is still very limited compared to that from Stagecoach, Go-Ahead and especially First, who have been investing in a fair few batches of vehicles in recent years. Also worth noting that Arriva hasn't invested in any alternative-fuel vehicles, compared to lots of new electric vehicles with Stagecoach (Manchester, Aberdeen, Cambridge, others), Go-Ahead (Salisbury, Newcastle), First (Glasgow, Leeds), Transdev (Harrogate)...the list goes on. As I said in the previous post, Arriva has completely neglected regional fleets in recent years - when was the last order of vehicles before the current batch, 2017 or so? Obviously partly to do with the (non-existent) sale of the company, but it really is awful to see the decline.

In my local area, which has just benefited from new deliveries, the state of some of the fleet is really terrible. Until very recently there were 2001-2002 B7TLs working express services, along with Solos dating from 2008, many of which had never even been repainted. There are still multiple buses running around in the old (pre-2009) livery.

Typhoon

Established Member
For the last few days (I think since Wednesday) I have been trying to access the Arriva website. The response is:
Under construction
We are having some work done, we’ll be back soon!​

'There is no need for paper timetables/ travel centres, it is all on the internet', except it is inaccessible. I know that I can use 'bustimes' or 'traveline' but the general public don't. In any case, my query is about multi journey tickets. I could e-mail them but I've been down that road before ... It just means that the trip I had planned (and replanned) has been put on hold (possibly never to be taken as it uses a route with a short life span) and another, using Stagecoach and an independent, promoted because their information is accessible. A minor loss of revenue but just appears typical of the organisation. Others have less option. I know there have been timetable changes recently of which the occasional user may not be aware. As Roger French regularly identifies, you can't depend on there being an up-to-date (or any) timetable in the case at stops.

I would have thought that you ensure that the new system works before you take the old system down. It maybe 'under construction' but at least if I visit a building site, I can see how close to completion it is, this I have no clue!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
For the last few days (I think since Wednesday) I have been trying to access the Arriva website. The response is:

'There is no need for paper timetables/ travel centres, it is all on the internet', except it is inaccessible. I know that I can use 'bustimes' or 'traveline' but the general public don't. In any case, my query is about multi journey tickets. I could e-mail them but I've been down that road before ... It just means that the trip I had planned (and replanned) has been put on hold (possibly never to be taken as it uses a route with a short life span) and another, using Stagecoach and an independent, promoted because their information is accessible. A minor loss of revenue but just appears typical of the organisation. Others have less option. I know there have been timetable changes recently of which the occasional user may not be aware. As Roger French regularly identifies, you can't depend on there being an up-to-date (or any) timetable in the case at stops.

I would have thought that you ensure that the new system works before you take the old system down. It maybe 'under construction' but at least if I visit a building site, I can see how close to completion it is, this I have no clue!
Working fine for me...

A0wen

On Moderation
I saw an Arriva minibus running the 97 stotfold to Hitchin service this evening. Looked like a 15 seater or thereabouts. It is normally a full-size bus. Wondering if this is due to a vehicle shortage, or an attempt to save fuel ?

If it was after 6pm, I doubt having such a vehicle on the route was a problem.

I remember back in the 80s/90s Luton and District routunely used minibuses (Ivecos mainly) on routes like the 733 Hitchin - Watford or the 92-99 Luton - Hitchin - Letchworth etc on evenings snd Sundays.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Searched for Arriva Bus, get this, click on top result View attachment 120856
Works fine (well, as fine as their website ever does) for me. I suspect you have ended up with the "under construction" page cached, which means the browser has stored it on your computer to avoid the need to keep loading the same data - this shouldn't really happen for data such as that page that is expected to change frequently, but if Arriva have set something up wrong then it might have anyway.

Are you using Google Chrome? If so, try going back to that page and clicking the refresh button while holding down the CTRL key. This should clear the cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.