• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Buses (including Greenline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Was in Newcastle yesterday near the bus station and something got my curiosity up. Arriva seemed to have lots of weirdly flat roofed Gemini’s. Am I right in thinking there must be a lot of low bridges in the area served? Very odd looking buses without the nice curved window at the front.
They worked with Wright to create a lower Gemini 2 body on a Daf DB300 chassis. They are found on Yorkshire, Merseyside and North Wales as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
Seems to be an Arriva standard in provincial fleets.
It does seem to be standard for VDL and Volvo B5LHs for Arriva outside London.

Conversely, the VDLs in Leicester and Volvo B9TLs in Derby have standard non-flattened upper decks. IIRC the Volvo B9TLs on route X93 (Middlesbrough - Scarborough) have these standard rather than flattened upper decks too.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

Conversely, the VDLs in Leicester and Volvo B9TLs in Derby have standard non-flattened upper decks. IIRC the Volvo B9TLs on route X93 (Middlesbrough - Scarborough) have these standard rather than flattened upper decks too.
Although those are Gemini 1's not Gemini 2's (of the original Leicester and Derby batches). I don't think a low height top was available on the original Gemini.

gka472l

They worked with Wright to create a lower Gemini 2 body on a Daf DB300 chassis. They are found on Yorkshire, Merseyside and North Wales as well.

Also the Oxford Bus Company have a few of these low height ones on the B5LH chassis....

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

The X93 vehicles were from dealer stock so not to Arriva spec

David 90825

A further update on Darlington services due to be revised today, 9th July 2023.

Service 3 Skerne Park to Darlington​

-
Update 30 June: Arriva can confirm the following;
A NEW Service 17 operating between Darlington and Mowden will operate to a broadly similar timetable as current Service 3 for a period of 8 weeks (until 2 September 2023).
Also, a NEW Service 18 between Darlington and Harrowgate Farm will operate to a broadly similar timetable as current Service 3A for a period of 8 weeks (until 2 September 2023).
Tees Valley Combined Authority are currently considering their options for service provision from 3 September. This means that the services will not be withdrawn on 9 July as planned.

Service 12 Darlington to Hurworth

Service 12 will continue to operate to a broadly similar timetable for a period of 8 weeks (until 2 September 2023)
Tees Valley Combined Authority are currently considering their options for service provision from 3 September. This means that the services will not be withdrawn on 9 July as planned.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/north-east-july-changes

Service 12 loses a couple of peak hour return journeys between Darlington and Hurworth. Services 17 and 18 are operating the same timetables as previously operated by the Mowden and Harrowgate Farm sections of services 3 and 3A respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

northern506

A further update on Darlington services due to be revised today, 9th July 2023.

Service 3 Skerne Park to Darlington​

-
A NEW Service 17 operating between Darlington and Mowden will operate to a broadly similar timetable as current Service 3 for a period of 8 weeks (until 2 September 2023).
Also, a NEW Service 18 between Darlington and Harrowgate Farm will operate to a broadly similar timetable as current Service 3A for a period of 8 weeks (until 2 September 2023).

Service 12 Darlington to Hurworth

Service 12 will continue to operate to a broadly similar timetable for a period of 8 weeks (until 2 September 2023)

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/north-east-july-changes

Service 12 loses a couple of peak hour return journeys between Darlington and Hurworth. Services 17 and 18 are operating the same timetables as previously operated by the Mowden and Harrowgate Farm sections of services 3 and 3A respectively.
From what I gather, services 12 and 17 are going to be merged come September. That opens up some interesting new links (e.g Yarm to Darlington).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
From what I gather, services 12 and 17 are going to be merged come September. That opens up some interesting new links (e.g Yarm to Darlington).
Yeah but links that have been tried several times before and been unviable. The 80 Darlo-Stockton stopped in 1985, there was the 21 than ran from Middlesbrough via Yarm to Teesside Airport and I think even another service did in the 2000s - might’ve been an extension of the 74/12 to Stockton

Last edited:

darloscott

Yeah but links that have been tried several times before and been unviable. The 80 Darlo-Stockton stopped in 1985, there was the 21 than ran from Middlesbrough via Yarm to Teesside Airport and I think even another service did in the 2000s - might’ve been an extension of the 74/12 to Stockton
They had the 20 which ran from the Airport to Middlesbrough and various extensions beyond there over the years. When that got binned they combined the lot as a ‘12’ all the way from Middlesbrough to Hurworth… I gather something similar is out for tender to start in September.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They had the 20 which ran from the Airport to Middlesbrough and various extensions beyond there over the years. When that got binned they combined the lot as a ‘12’ all the way from Middlesbrough to Hurworth… I gather something similar is out for tender to start in September.
Thanks for correcting me on 20 rather than 21 (it’s too long ago) and same for confirming that there was an extension for the 12.

It’ll be a waste of time as the three previous occasions, I imagine, but hope to be proven wrong

Pub

Taken from The Leader Wrexham:

Arriva investigation underway after bus got stuck under railway bridge in Wrexham

The bus became stuck under a bridge on Bangor Road in Johnstown. (Image: User generated content)© Provided by The Leader
ARRIVA has said an investigation is underway after one of its buses collided with a bridge in Wrexham.
The Leader reported on Saturday night that the Wrexham to Llangollen bus became wedged under a railway bridge on Bangor Road in Johnstown.
The road was blocked for a number of hours before the bus was freed, and police urged motorists to avoid the area.

The bus had been diverted from its normal route via the A539 Llangollen Road through Ruabon and Acrefair due to flooding.

Snex

It won't be a tender unless they want to duplicate the 17, most of the 17 route is still commercial. It'll be sold as a link to Houchen's pet project - the airport, which similarly, has been attempted numerous times and the same thing has happened every time.

sammyg901

I heard that Arriva are pulling out of Aylesbury route 9 but couldn't see anything official, does anyone have any Intel?

It's one of the main routes left in Aylesbury so doesn't bode well for that depot if true !!

sonic2009

Established Member
I heard that Arriva are pulling out of Aylesbury route 9 but couldn't see anything official, does anyone have any Intel?

It's one of the main routes left in Aylesbury so doesn't bode well for that depot if true !!

Received
22 Jul 23
Effective
3 Sep 23
Cancelled
cancelled

Operating between Aylesbury and Stoke Mandeville given service number 9 / 9A / 9 effective from 03 September 2023.

darloscott

I did wonder how much longer they would last on the single remaining town route… another win for Red Group there then!
Interestingly it appears the Wycombe town network is all up for a reorganisation and the longer distance services just show timetable changes. Will be interesting to see what the network looks like soon!

overthewater

Established Member
What is happening with Arriva in Watford, as they have posted a pic on their Facebook page asking for passenger views?

We want to know what you would like to see for the future of our Arriva Watford Network?

Send your thoughts and ideas to [email protected]

Attachments

• 362675259_762474622544763_7006958387173996960_n.jpg
    362675259_762474622544763_7006958387173996960_n.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 55

Lynford1976

I did wonder how much longer they would last on the single remaining town route… another win for Red Group there then!
Interestingly it appears the Wycombe town network is all up for a reorganisation and the longer distance services just show timetable changes. Will be interesting to see what the network looks like soon!

Yes - after seeing the post about Aylesbury route 9 I checked the Wycombe registrations on the same site. All the local services are shown as "cancelled" with timetable changes registered against the inter-urban routes. We shall wait and see!

What is the current situation with the operations in Northumbria? Has Walkergate closed yet, and are the two Blyth operating centres still scheduled to be combined into one?

sammyg901

Yes Red Rose will be pleased. Whenever I've seen a 9 or a 10 they've been quite sparsely populated. I wonder if they'll extend back to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

darloscott

Yes - after seeing the post about Aylesbury route 9 I checked the Wycombe registrations on the same site. All the local services are shown as "cancelled" with timetable changes registered against the inter-urban routes. We shall wait and see!

What is the current situation with the operations in Northumbria? Has Walkergate closed yet, and are the two Blyth operating centres still scheduled to be combined into one?
The Wycombe locals are all reregistered with lower numbers, I too thought they were binning the lot until I did a bit more digging!

Walkergate is due to close in September with services 43/44/45/47/553 running from Blyth and 51-55 abandoned.

Parebunks

The changes to Arriva and other operators in Bucks from the end of the month can now be seen here: https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-transport/bus-passes-and-travel/changes-to-bus-services/. It doesn't look great for Arriva in Aylesbury - losing the 9 as remarked on above, and also facing serious competition from Redline on the Aylesbury-Oxford route, with their X20 now running with the same daytime frequency as Arriva's 280, though without Arriva's Thame shorts, and with times that at least look coordinated. Wycombe's looking a bit better, with various frequency increases and the renumbering of the town network. Can't quite see the point in it myself, and splitting the 32 and 33 also seems an odd choice.
High Wycombe:

30: High Wycombe to Downley (Arriva)​

Service renumbered as route 10. Revised timetable operating between High Wycombe and Downley up to every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and hourly on Sunday.
Start date: Sunday 3 September 2023
View the bus route 10 revised timetable (PDF, 155 KB)

31: High Wycombe to Penn (Arriva)​

Service renumbered as route 11. Revised timetable operating between High Wycombe and Penn up to every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday and hourly on Sunday.
View the bus route 11 revised timetable (PDF, 200 KB)

32: Booker to Micklefield via High Wycombe (Arriva)​

Changes:
  • service split into 2 new services: route 2 and route 12
  • route 2 will operate between Booker and High Wycombe town centre
  • route 12 will operate between Micklefield and High Wycombe town centre
  • both routes will run at revised times and will run more often on weekdays
View the bus route 2 revised timetable (PDF, 175 KB)
View the bus route 12 revised timetable (PDF, 195 KB)

33: Castlefield to Totteridge via High Wycombe (Arriva)​

Changes:
  • service split into 2 new services: route 3 and route 13
  • route 3 will operate between Castlefield and High Wycombe town centre
  • route 13 will operate between Totteridge and High Wycombe town centre
  • both routes will operate at revised times with changes in frequency
View the bus route 3 revised timetable (PDF, 155 KB)
View the bus route 13 revised timetable (PDF, 160 KB)

35 and 37: High Wycombe to Bourne End/Maidenhead (Arriva)​

Services renumbered as routes 5/5A and 7/7A with revised times.
View the bus route 5 and 7 revised timetable (PDF, 250 KB)

36: High Wycombe to Bourne End (Arriva)​

Service renumbered as route 6/6A with revised times.
View the bus route 6 revised timetable (PDF, 175 KB)
Aylesbury:

9 and 10: Aylesbury to Stoke Mandeville Hospital via Hawkslade (Arriva/Red Rose Travel)​

Changes:
  • Arriva route 9 service withdrawn
  • Red Rose Travel will partially replace this on Monday to Fridays with journeys to operate between Aylesbury and Stoke Mandeville Hospital up to every 15 minutes as route 9
  • Saturday and Sunday journeys will operate as route 10 between Aylesbury and Hawkslade only
  • alternative weekend routes to Stoke Mandeville Hospital can be found on routes 130 and 300
View the bus route 9/10 revised timetable (PDF, 205 KB)
Interurbans:

150: Aylesbury to Milton Keynes (Arriva)​

Changes:
  • route changed to additionally serve The Open University and Milton Keynes Central Railway Station
  • some early morning and evening journeys are extended to serve Heath & Reach
View the bus route 150 revised timetable (PDF, 205 KB)

250: Heath & Reach to Aylesbury (Arriva)​

Minor change to timetable. Route altered to serve Leighton Buzzard, West Street instead of High Street.
View the bus route 250 revised timetable (PDF, 110 KB)

280 and X8: Aylesbury to Oxford (Arriva)​

Minor timetable changes.
View the bus route 280 and X8 revised timetable (PDF, 340 KB)

300 and X30: Aylesbury to High Wycombe (Arriva)​

Minor timetable changes.
View the bus route 300 X30 revised timetable (PDF, 305 KB)

X20: Aylesbury to Oxford (Redline Buses)​

Monday to Saturday service increased to every 30 minutes. Minor changes to Sunday timetable with no change to frequency.
Start date: Monday 4 September 2023
View the bus route X20 revised timetable (PDF, 225 KB)

X60: Aylesbury to Milton Keynes (Arriva)​

Minor changes to timetable, with earlier last buses from Milton Keynes.
View the bus route X60 revised timetable (PDF, 185 KB)

Last edited:

RELL6L

The changes to Arriva and other operators in Bucks from the end of the month can now be seen here: https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-transport/bus-passes-and-travel/changes-to-bus-services/. It doesn't look great for Arriva in Aylesbury - losing the 9 as remarked on above, and also facing serious competition from Redline on the Aylesbury-Oxford route, with their X20 now running with the same daytime frequency as Arriva's 280, though without Arriva's Thame shorts, and with times that at least look coordinated. Wycombe's looking a bit better, with various frequency increases and the renumbering of the town network. Can't quite see the point in it myself, and splitting the 32 and 33 also seems an odd choice.
High Wycombe:

Aylesbury:

Interurbans:
Lots of interesting changes here, some good, some bad.

In Aylesbury Arriva look to be giving up on their last local route, the 9. At present this runs every 20 minutes each way round the circuit to Stoke Mandeville Hospital, a key traffic objective, with 3 buses. Now they are just giving up on it. Red Rose will run during the week and there are plenty of inter-urban services passing it, but this is such a come down from when Arriva and predecessors ran most of Aylesbury. Yesterday they seemed to have virtually given up on it already with (usual caveats about BusTimes) only one bus of three running for much of the day and the last two circuits each way missing.

Minor changes to the 280/X8, still mainly every 15 minutes between Thame and Oxford. But there are strange gaps, no arrival in Oxford 15.44 to 16.30, then gaps in departures from Oxford 16.00-16.35, 17.05-17.35, 17.45-18.15, peak gaps of 30 minutes or maore, not much changed from now. No wonder Redline sense an opportunity with their increased X20, every 30 minutes during the day but extra evening peak journeys out of Oxford.

Minor changes to the 300/X30 from Aylesbury, still every 20 minutes via Naphill during the day while some peak journeys operate direct. This leaves big gaps, at present the first High Wycombe arrival from Naphill after 08.00 is at 08.51, with the new timetable it will be 9.00. Surely this is a key time period with town centre workers arriving? I don't understand why they run any journeys via the X30 when Redline's 130 covers this, I would have thought they should stick to the Naphill route.

Many changes in Wycombe, mostly for the better.
The 30 to Downley becomes the 10 and increases from every 30 minutes (mostly run off the 800/850) to every 20 minutes (probably stand alone)
The 31 to Penn becomes the 11 and is increased between the peaks from every 60 minutes to every 30 minutes. I guess this might now run off the 800/850.
The 32 is split into the 2 and the 12, the 2 to Booker and the 12 to Micklefield, both legs increased from every 20 minutes to every 15. As both services appears to arrive and depart the bus station at the same time I suspect they continue to work together, but the allocation will go from 5 buses (6 in peaks) to 7 all day.
The 33 is split into the 3 and the 13, the 3 to Castlefield staying every 15 minutes while the 13 to Totteridge is reduced from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes. At present this route uses 4 buses, it looks like the 3 and 13 could each be standalone using 2 buses each. This is no change to resources but a worse service to Totteridge, presumably in the cause of reliability.
The 35, 36 and 37 to Bourne End and Maidenhead are renumbered 5, 6 and 7 but no significant change, still 5 buses out during the day. These routes are generally where the double deckers are concentrated, at least during the day, we'll see if this continues.
The 48 is renumbered to the 4, but no real change.

On the 800/850 to Reading there is an improvement with the evening service on the 800 now running through to Reading. I wonder if this is commercial or if there is some support. Also, at long last, they have realised that the 850 takes quite a bit longer to get into Reading than the 800 and now buses will switch routes at Reading, so an 800 in will be an 850 out. This should improve reliability of the 850, but will initially confuse passengers leaving Reading as the times are largely swapped. Confusingly most times are 5 minutes earlier than now, so some people will miss the bus for a while! Also there are some bigger gaps in the service, at present there are departures from Henley to Wycombe at 07.30, 07.45 and 08.00, all fairly well used. Now 07.15, 07.45, 08.25, the last will be too late for Marlow schoolchildren so the 07.45 will be very busy. I'd put money on a duplicate or extra journey by the end of September...

It does generally seem positive around High Wycombe, with the Carousel 1/1A/1B to Amersham becoming every 15 minutes instead of every 20 minutes too - although like most of the Arriva changes this is only going back to how it used to be. Is any of this funded by Bucks' small amount of BSIP money I wonder?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Full details on website and socials but some minor service alterations in Maidstone and Medway from early September, mostly a rearranging of the deck chairs in terms of who operates which tendered services at certain times or indeed at all but some time table tweaks as well for reliability purposes as well as the withdrawal of the six five three

In the Medway towns for the last few weeks it's been a game of "spot the bus that is not on diversion"

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Full details on website and socials but some minor service alterations in Maidstone and Medway from early September, mostly a rearranging of the deck chairs in terms of who operates which tendered services at certain times or indeed at all but some time table tweaks as well for reliability purposes as well as the withdrawal of the six five three

In the Medway towns for the last few weeks it's been a game of "spot the bus that is not on diversion"
Let's actually name a proper source, rather than the vague "full details on website and socials".

cav1975

Let's actually name a proper source, rather than the vague "full details on website and socials".
This is from the Arriva news website - note the timetable links go to the current timetables so are not useful!

Gillingham​

-
Service 100
Additional journey will be introduced – click here for timetable
Some journeys will be changed or removed following tender revisions on services;
Service 140/141click here for timetable
Service 190click here for timetable
Service 191click here for timetable
Service 193click here for timetable
Service 693
Service will be withdrawn
Minor timetable changes will be made to all other services to improve reliability.

Maidstone​

-
One journey on Services 5 and 72 will be removed due to tender loss (these journeys will be run by Nu-Venture instead).
Service 5 click here for timetable
Service 72click here for timetable

Tunbridge Wells​

-
Service 277
Early Monday – Friday) journeys moved earlier to offer better arrival time at the hospital – click here for timetable
Service 582
Times are revised due to school time changes – click here for timetable
Tendered services 771 and 773 will no longer be operated by Arriva.

Dartford​

-
Service 414
Times revised to align with new school times and the short journey will be removed – click here for timetable
Service 497
Times revised to align with new school times – click here for timetable

Arriva have recently filed their company accounts for Arriva Merseyside and Arriva North West for the year ending December 2021. These accounts should have been filed by September 2022, so they are nearly a year late filing their accounts. I always think it is quite telling on the state of a company's organisation and finances if they take so long to put a set of accounts together and get them audited. They managed to file accounts consistently on time until 4 years ago - but has gone downhill since then.

Still, they are more prompt than some of the other subsidiaries, Arriva Yorkshire and The Shires have not filed any accounts for 2021 yet.

The other odd thing about the Merseyside accounts is that they have written off the whole value of the bus fleet - all £48m of it (plus another £2m write off of property assets), turning what would have been a tidy £7m profit into a thumping loss. I can't really get my head around why they would do this..effectively saying there is no value to the bus fleet. Anyone got any ideas ?

Arriva have recently filed their company accounts for Arriva Merseyside and Arriva North West for the year ending December 2021. These accounts should have been filed by September 2022, so they are nearly a year late filing their accounts. I always think it is quite telling on the state of a company's organisation and finances if they take so long to put a set of accounts together and get them audited. They managed to file accounts consistently on time until 4 years ago - but has gone downhill since then.

Still, they are more prompt than some of the other subsidiaries, Arriva Yorkshire and The Shires have not filed any accounts for 2021 yet.

The other odd thing about the Merseyside accounts is that they have written off the whole value of the bus fleet - all £48m of it (plus another £2m write off of property assets), turning what would have been a tidy £7m profit into a thumping loss. I can't really get my head around why they would do this..effectively saying there is no value to the bus fleet. Anyone got any ideas ?
With link to the Companies House for the accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.