• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva -New Cross Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elllll20

Hi I had an email about a possible opening for New Cross Gate.

I just wondered if anyone had information regarding this depot, and what it’s like to work for.
Any idea what the shift pattern is like, Sundays inside/outside etc, annual leave?

Thanks
Eli

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member

I just wondered if anyone had information regarding this depot, and what it’s like to work for.
Any idea what the shift pattern is like, Sundays inside/outside etc, annual leave?

Thanks
Eli
I wasn't New cross gate I was willesden, but it was the same pretty much. Sunday is part of the four day average week. Annual leave is 32 plus two for Xmas and boxing day, rising to 34+2 after five years.

Elllll20

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t suppose you have any idea what the shift patterns are like now do you? With Sundays part of the working week would that come with any extra pay or just a flat rate?

baz962

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

I don’t suppose you have any idea what the shift patterns are like now do you? With Sundays part of the working week would that come with any extra pay or just a flat rate?
No extra. Just part of the salary. I have no idea about the actual shift patterns though.

Elllll20

No extra. Just part of the salary. I have no idea about the actual shift patterns though.
Thanks again. Sorry last question. The annual leave is that done as a block leave or are you free to book the days you like so long as your within the minimum

baz962

Established Member
When I was there you got four weeks as block. One week spring. Two for summer and a week winter. So if on them weeks you would of been in on say 18 days, then you would have 16 left for floating days and would need two for Xmas and boxing day, unless those days were your rest day anyway. You could swap with other drivers or ask the union to swap into a vacant leave block if available.

diego1234

This for a trainee or qualified position? What's the current salary at ARL? Thanks

baz962

Established Member
70,000 and in talks for this year raise too I believe.

Kelki

Thanks
Eli
Hi can I ask when you received this email and if you have heard anything since.

Kyle2409

I recently got an email last week asking if i would still be interested in the role with change of location to New cross instead of Willesden.

They have said passed on my information to hiring manager and will get in touch with next steps.

This was for the trainee driver role.

Kelki

I recently got an email last week asking if i would still be interested in the role with change of location to New cross instead of Willesden.

They have said passed on my information to hiring manager and will get in touch with next steps.

This was for the trainee driver role.
Thanks for the update. I received this email in Feb so still waiting for next steps.

Kyle2409

Final interview stage.
Thanks

I had already completed my DMI and was literally awaiting a medical and job offer.
Had sort of accepted this was not gunna happen and accepted another job offer being shunt driver @ Hornsey depot.

But will see if it comes to anything.

Good luck

Will post on here if i hear anything more

Amex88

I got the same email, then a phone call to ask my notice period and expected salary. I may get an interview however I am unsure. I have heard about the roster and sundays inside the week. And looks like nearly every other sunday and saturday working too.
isit worth the extra money? I do not know. And i think that depot has pratically stopping work non stop

Driver_Shez

Its very similar to the tube in terms of stop start on the core route. I was a driver there for 3 years.

Established Member
And i think that depot has pratically stopping work non stop

That goes for all of the ARL depots, to be fair. Then again it’s a good place to get a key and get a lot of experience quickly.

Kelki

T
Thanks

I had already completed my DMI and was literally awaiting a medical and job offer.
Had sort of accepted this was not gunna happen and accepted another job offer being shunt driver @ Hornsey depot.

But will see if it comes to anything.

Good luck

Will post on here if i hear anything

Thanks and same to you. They did say in my email that final interviews will have to be repeated.

Amex88

Its very similar to the tube in terms of stop start on the core route. I was a driver there for 3 years.
Isit worth going there? What isit like working there? Atm i drive for a TOC that runs high speed services. Yes I do stopping work and branch lines too.
For me Arriva is closer to home and also quite a bit more in salary.
Really do not know what to do!

Skoodle

Isit worth going there? What isit like working there? Atm i drive for a TOC that runs high speed services. Yes I do stopping work and branch lines too.
For me Arriva is closer to home and also quite a bit more in salary.
Really do not know what to do!

Swings and roundabouts really. For a lot of people who start here and no no different, it is what it is. If you're coming here from a TOC that runs high speed services you may find it too intense, but that's only as you're driving slower and stopping more frequently. A lot of the T/Cs at ARL are much better than other TOCs so it's not all about the driving. I've been at NXG since the very beginning and think it's great, just not for everyone but it's down to personal preference. I'd probably get bored going to somewhere with higher speed and less stops.

nithen

Got a call today saying they are only progressing with Qualified drivers at the moment
Yes they are in need of drivers at NXG. Obviously they want to get qualifieds in but failing that, they were going to go down the trainee route but because they have enough interest from qualifieds there is no longer any need for trainee's, so that has been nipped in the bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.