• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

arriva pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfitz123

Hi,
This is probably the wrong place to ask but I have an arriva bus staff pass and dont know the full list of services I can travel free on. Every time I e-mail arriva they give me some stupid answer like, "we cannot give any further information on this matter." Does anyone know what TOC's I can travel free on.... Thanks:) apart from ATW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
One of my relatives works for Arriva London, as far as he is aware he isn't valid on any TOC, including Arriva Trains Wales - do you have anything to show that isn't true?!

As he works on a TfL route, however, he also has a TfL pass which allows him on restricted NR routes in London.

danfitz123

One of my relatives works for Arriva London, as far as he is aware he isn't valid on any TOC, including Arriva Trains Wales - do you have anything to show that isn't true?!

As he works on a TfL route, however, he also has a TfL pass which allows him on restricted NR routes in London.

I think it may be different in london because i'm not allowed free travel anywhere in London:-x, Im unsure whether he will be able to travel on ATW. I have been on ATW a lot and never been refused. Has he ever tried?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Hi,
This is probably the wrong place to ask but I have an arriva bus staff pass and dont know the full list of services I can travel free on. Every time I e-mail arriva they give me some stupid answer like, "we cannot give any further information on this matter." Does anyone know what TOC's I can travel free on.... Thanks:) apart from ATW

Well I work for First, and a First Rail staff pass is not valid on buses. A First Bus staff pass is not valid on trains, including a First TOC. As far as I know, the same applies with all other bus companies that have train companies as well. In the case of First, our passes do allow us to buy heavily discounted special tickets for use on the other mode of transport, so bus staff can use their bus pass to buy very cheap tickets for use on a First train - but not on any other TOC.

I would be very surprised if an Arriva Bus staff pass is officially valid on ATW - I suspect some folk may get away with it because train staff have been lenient.

danfitz123

Well I work for First, and a First Rail staff pass is not valid on buses. A First Bus staff pass is not valid on trains, including a First TOC. As far as I know, the same applies with all other bus companies that have train companies as well. In the case of First, our passes do allow us to buy heavily discounted special tickets for use on the other mode of transport, so bus staff can use their bus pass to buy very cheap tickets for use on a First train - but not on any other TOC.

I would be very surprised if an Arriva Bus staff pass is officially valid on ATW - I suspect some folk may get away with it because train staff have been lenient.

I once got an email off ATW saying I can use my pass anywhere on thier network but not XC trains. I will upload a pic of my pass as soon as my camera has charged.

First class

Established Member
Arriva Bus Employee Pass valid as follows:

On all Arriva buses outside of London
On all Arriva Trains Wales services
On all Greenline coach services to various Airports
On all Arriva Scandinavian/European bus services, (where they are directly operated under the Arriva brand), but not rail.

NOT valid on CrossCountry trains.

Arriva released a 'memo' to many depots in the Merseyside area informing staff their pass was valid on services provided by Arriva Trains Wales in mid-2009.

Arriva staff in London do not get these concessions, and as such, other staff cannot use their passes in London.

Unofficially, in the North West, all operators accept each others staff passes, particularly First, Stagecoach and Arriva.

Last edited:

danfitz123

Is this true about cheaper rail fares?:p on XC trains

Last edited:

CarterUSM

Established Member
Is this true about cheaper rail fares?:p

First send you some friends and family vouchers to use, these allow you to purchase discounted rail tickets on first franchises between any two stations on the specific franchise, for a princely 5 pounds each or 2 pounds for children. You or your spouse MUST travel with them. Hull trains are slightly different, you can make 4 bookings a year for a maximum of 4 passengers per booking, one way tickets 5 pounds or 10 pounds return. You have to apply by post though with the date, route and time required etc. EDIT; I didn't realise you meant on cross country. :)

danfitz123

First send you some friends and family vouchers to use, these allow you to purchase discounted rail tickets on first franchises between any two stations on the specific franchise, for a princely 5 pounds each or 2 pounds for children. You or your spouse MUST travel with them. Hull trains are slightly different, you can make 4 bookings a year for a maximum of 4 passengers per booking, one way tickets 5 pounds or 10 pounds return. You have to apply by post though with the date, route and time required etc. EDIT; I didn't realise you meant on cross country. :)

its ok I mean all TOC 's really I just thought it was unlikely on first

richw

Veteran Member
you'd think surely they'd issue you with a list of where its valid, my employer has a website full of places where i can get discount! My company have arranged so many deals with big companys for us to get discount, or some kind of offer

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Quite strange, I was under the impression arriva passes from the bus side of things were valid, mine certainly is or was valid on one of the bus companies

Aictos

Established Member

Officially First Rail staff passes are not valid on First Buses but unofficially staff on the buses are usually very good as long as it's in date.

I've used them once before on First Buses in the Edinburgh area and didn't get refused.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Officially First Rail staff passes are not valid on First Buses but unofficially staff on the buses are usually very good as long as it's in date.

I've used them once before on First Buses in the Edinburgh area and didn't get refused.

I think you were lucky mate, i don't mess about when it comes to my passes!! First allow their rail staff to purchase a weekly scratchcard for the buses, valid on all first bus networks with the exception of London. I haven't come across many bus staff looking for free travel with their staff pass for a while, but i didn't like to take the chance giving them a 'freebie', as it were.:|

Aictos

Established Member
I think you were lucky mate, i don't mess about when it comes to my passes!! First allow their rail staff to purchase a weekly scratchcard for the buses, valid on all first bus networks with the exception of London. I haven't come across many bus staff looking for free travel with their staff pass for a while, but i didn't like to take the chance giving them a 'freebie', as it were.:|

Indeed, not that I didn't mind paying what ever the fare was.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I hope you're not accessing the Internet via the company phone - although you could claim that you are accessing a valuable railway information site. :lol:

The wap doesn't work on mine anymore, free internet on my personal phone though! :)

Aictos

Established Member
The wap doesn't work on mine anymore, free internet on my personal phone though! :)

The FCC Blackberries are filtered plus they get audited every week by the responsible line manager so luckily I've got my own personal Blackberry with internet access :)

Means I can ask questions here without it flagging up on the FCC servers even if it is a valid query such as ticketing for example....

CarterUSM

Established Member
The FCC Blackberries are filtered plus they get audited every week by the responsible line manager so luckily I've got my own personal Blackberry with internet access :)

Means I can ask questions here without it flagging up on the FCC servers even if it is a valid query such as ticketing for example....

Seems pretty sensible, ours just got done away with, end of!

Darandio

Established Member
The thread had me baffled until I read through, I thought you were a driver in need of assistance, not a child with a pass! Where does that give you the right to even expect discounts/free travel?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The thread had me baffled until I read through, I thought you were a driver in need of assistance, not a child with a pass! Where does that give you the right to even expect discounts/free travel?

My sentiments exactly. With a BUS PASS On what basis do you even think or expect free or reduced price Rail travel on any train companies at all? I had a bus driver the other day with an Arriva Bus Drivers pass who insisted it was valid on TPE from Manchester to Hull. I pointed out it wasn't, and he got quite rude and aggressive in his attitude - he insisted his Bus Pass gave him free travel on all train companies. I extracted the money from him eventually, but it took some doing. Cheeky. I don't mind giving fellow rail colleagues rides around, but not bus drivers trying it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.