• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail - London Overground - Trainee Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo86

As per the title, they're taking on trainees at New Cross Gate and Willesden. If you're applying then do it ASAP as we all know these positions are highly sought after and often get taken down before the deadline. Good luck.

http://www.arrivaraillondon.co.uk/careers/vacancies

Trainee Train Driver
Job Code: 903
# of openings: 1
Description
Trainee Train Drivers

Location New Cross Gate, Willesden TMD

Working Pattern Full Time

Basic Salary £27,848

Issue Date 06/11/2017

Closing Date 20/11/2017 at 17:00

About the role:

Arriva Rail London are seeking applications from highly motivated individuals for a number of Trainee Train Driver roles who can help to support our vision to proudly deliver a world class railway for London.

These positions will be based at New Cross Gate and Willesden TMD.

Train drivers are required to drive large volumes of passengers safely and efficiently. This level of demand carries with it a high level of responsibility in terms of passenger safety. ARL are looking for Trainee Drivers who can commit to helping provide a punctual and reliable service for London.

Following an intensive training programme inclusive of regular progress assessments, you will become technically and occupationally competent to drive trains in a safe and punctual manner, dependent on successfully passing the required criteria.

About you:

To succeed, applicants will require excellent concentration and communication skills, good attention to detail and the ability to work alone for long periods of time, whilst maintaining focus and awareness.

A proactive, ‘can do’ attitude, and excellent decision making skills are also essential. Key to the role is the ability to work as a team player, communicating with the Control function and delivering excellent customer service skills at all times.

The ideal candidate will be someone who can think on their feet and keep calm under pressure.

Candidates will be required to pass the medical standards for the role including a drugs and alcohol test and will need to live within proximity to our depots. Flexibility is required as the role will involve early starts, late finishes, night shifts alongside weekend and bank holiday working.

Salary and benefits:

A trainee driver salary of £27,848 rising to £45,639 after completion of training and circa £58,483 once first year of driving has been completed.

You’ll also be able to make the most of great benefits including a final salary pension scheme and travel discounts plus the satisfaction of making a significant and lasting difference for the network.

For further information on our recruitment process, please visit our Trainee Train Driver FAQ page on the link below:

http://www.arrivaraillondon.co.uk/page/trainee-driver-faqs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Anyone know the travel time maximum for this TOC??

I seem to recall they specified 45 mins from NXG on a previous round of recruitment.

The current advert specifies you must live within the specified time/distance, but doesn't say what that time is!

Saracen_83

I seem to recall they specified 45 mins from NXG on a previous round of recruitment.

The current advert specifies you must live within the specified time/distance, but doesn't say what that time is!

That’s what I was thinking!!!! I’m an hour away from Willesden 45 from new cross!!!!! So hoping it one of them!!!

Anyone know what the company is like to work for? Shift patterns etc??

TTDARL

There are current drivers based at Willesden tmd that live out in Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, and Buckinghamshire to name just a few. As long as you can get in for the early starts 4am ish and get home after the late finishes, 130am ish by car or public transport. (Thameslink run 24/7 for example.)

TTDARL

Just get in there quick.... thousands apply and the advert can disappear pretty quickly as a result...

Bromley boy

Established Member
There are current drivers based at Willesden tmd that live out in Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, and Buckinghamshire to name just a few. As long as you can get in for the early starts 4am ish and get home after the late finishes, 130am ish by car or public transport. (Thameslink run 24/7 for example.)

Those will be people who moved after getting the job. They are very strict with time/distance requirements for new trainees.

Once you are through the door they can't stop you living wherever you wish, although a long commute to and from work is asking for trouble on driver shift patterns, in my view.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Anyone know what the company is like to work for? Shift patterns etc??

Have a dig through the previous threads from the last rounds of recruitment (google works better for this than the forum search tool!).

The work is very, very intense even by commuter TOC standards, NXG sign the East London Line and part of the Brighton Main Line which runs from Highbury & Islington down to West Croydon, Crystal Palace and NX/NXG.

Pay and conditions are pretty good by all accounts, to balance out the intense work!

Jambo86

The work is very, very intense even by commuter TOC standards, NXG sign the East London Line and part of the Brighton Main Line which runs from Highbury & Islington down to West Croydon, Crystal Palace and NX/NXG.

Bromley Boy, would you be able to elaborate a bit on what makes it so intense? I'm currently an LU driver who may be interested, but not sure if I want to rock the boat and apply for a new job with loads of new learning for not much more money (should I get through the process).

theking

Bromley Boy, would you be able to elaborate a bit on what makes it so intense? I'm currently an LU driver who may be interested, but not sure if I want to rock the boat and apply for a new job with loads of new learning for not much more money (should I get through the process).

Extremely short signal sections, gradients, multispad signals, busy trains with multiple station stops all doo.

Basically the underground with national rail rules.

Jambo86

Extremely short signal sections, gradients, multispad signals, busy trains with multiple station stops all doo.

Basically the underground with national rail rules.

Thanks, very helpful, sounds like a pain in the thingy if I'm honest and I'm probably best off staying where I am. On a side note, I hear that standards are very high and SPAD's are almost non existent, is this true?

Bromley boy

Established Member

From what I've read on here, and having spoken to a couple of drivers who worked there previously, it's the number of station stops. I've seen mention of up to 150 stops per shift - I do purely metro work and would average around 90-100, which is more typical for a commuter TOC.

As theking mentions, short signal sections, 3 aspect signals etc.

Of course if you are coming from the underground you would probably not consider it intense as you are used to that kind of work, unless you are on an ATO line?

That should definitely not put you off. I've heard good things about the culture, and it's a way to get a key and then become very marketable to other TOCs should you wish to move in future.

Jambo86

From what I've read on here, and having spoken to a couple of drivers who worked there previously, it's the number of station stops. I've seen mention of up to 150 stops per shift - I do purely metro work and would average around 90-100, which is more typical for a commuter TOC.

As theking mentions, short signal sections, 3 aspect signals etc.

Of course if you are coming from the underground you would probably not consider it intense as you are used to that kind of work, unless you are on an ATO line?

That should definitely not put you off. I've heard good things about the culture, and it's a way to get a key and then become very marketable to other TOCs should you wish to move in future.

I'm from a manual line so the changeover wouldn't be *as* difficult as if I were coming from an ATO so that's a plus, and like you mentioned, the license itself is one of the biggest draws for me..... Thanks for the info, I shall ponder.....(but not for too long!).

Bromley boy

Established Member
I'm from a manual line so the changeover wouldn't be *as* difficult as if I were coming from an ATO so that's a plus, and like you mentioned, the license itself is one of the biggest draws for me..... Thanks for the info, I shall ponder.....(but not for too long!).

I would definitely give it serious consideration mate. I know a driver at my depot (not overground) who is ex LU. He says he joined the mainline largely to get away from automation and says he much prefers it - less time at work (4day week) or more money if you choose to do rest days, depending on which way you look at it.

Apparently he is the only person in the history of the depot to pass out in the minimum hours as his train handling was excellent (as you'd expect) and he was effectively route learning right from the start.

Monopoli

Hopefully someone can answer this.
I have passed the train assessment part with a different TOC. Will I be required to do it again?

Adamski

I have passed the train assessment part with a different TOC. Will I be required to do it again?

Depends how long ago and who the TOC was, some use the the same assessments, some are different and then have some have different benchmark scores.

TTDARL

Monopoli. ARL require enhanced passes FYI. And ARL also have a couple of additional tests not done by some other TOCS during their recruitment processes.

TTDARL

Matt711.

Recent Trainees applied whilst living in Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire, and Bedfordshire FYI. Bromleyboi is incorrect in what he says about them moving out after they got the job. ARL’s main concern as I said is that you can get in on time for whatever shift and get yourself home. They will ask this at the DM interview also.

Adamski

Matt711.

Recent Trainees applied whilst living in Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire, and Bedfordshire FYI. Bromleyboi is incorrect in what he says about them moving out after they got the job. ARL’s main concern as I said is that you can get in on time for whatever shift and get yourself home. They will ask this at the DM interview also.

So worth applying even if I live in Ashford?

TTDARL

Well from New Cross gate Ashford is just over an hour. As long as you can satisfy the ability to turn up for work and on time at various times of day then why not.....
As a train driver, you have to have 12 hours between shifts (minimum.) You don’t want a large portion of your rest periods taken up by commuting.

Adamski

Well from New Cross gate Ashford is just over an hour. As long as you can satisfy the ability to turn up for work and on time at various times of day then why not.....
As a train driver, you have to have 12 hours between shifts (minimum.) You don’t want a large portion of your rest periods taken up by commuting.

I'll apply and see what happens. Thanks for that.

TTDARL

ARL (previously LOROL) have realised that they were missing out on good candidates in the past due to them previously only taking trainee drivers living in or close to London. Hence they now consider those living a bit further away.

Adamski

ARL (previously LOROL) have realised that they were missing out on good candidates in the past due to them previously only taking trainee drivers living in or close to London. Hence they now consider those living a bit further away.

Interesting to hear. Not sure im either but will find out soon enough lol

Status
Not open for further replies.