• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail London - Qualified Driver - Chingford Depot (22/06/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

20atthemagnet

Unlikely for a qualified vacancy, there won't be hundreds of applications.
Likely, as there are still at least 70 people on hold from the last qualified ad that will be re-applying, plus anyone with new applications.

Tbh it's LO tho. They have some of the best T&Cs if I've not heard wrong

You are not wrong. There have been enquiries from some suprising TOCs associated with some of the most sought after kind of work in the country. The DFT vs TfL landscape over the past few years of uncertainly has certainly shaken up the way people think for sure.

Last edited:

Ebee

Does anyone know the answer, or can point me to a thread with diagrams, working pattern, and whether they are block leave please? Thankyou!

Samzino

Likely, as there are still at least 70 people on hold from the last qualified ad that will be re-applying, plus anyone with new applications.

You are not wrong. There have been enquiries from some suprising TOCs associated with some of the most sought after kind of work in the country. The DFT vs TfL landscape over the past few years of uncertainly has certainly shaken up the way people think for sure.
indeed

20atthemagnet

Does anyone know the answer, or can point me to a thread with diagrams, working pattern, and whether they are block leave please? Thankyou!

Diagrams are 6-9 hrs (maximum 9). Average length 7hr30…(vast majority are 6hr30 to 8 hrs) PNB rostered 55min or 1hr10 usually (minimum 40min) Most jobs are round trips consisting of Chingford-London-Enfield or Cheshunt-London-Chingford with the same after a PNB

CHI is 26 mins
CHN is 36 mins
ENF 32 mins

Also sign Ilford EMUD.

4 day week sundays extra (Committed)

Week blocks of annual leave Winter1/Spring1/Summer2/Autumn1/Winter1 all swapable/Moveable.

Ebee

Diagrams are 6-9 hrs (maximum 9). Average length 7hr30…(vast majority are 6hr30 to 8 hrs) PNB rostered 55min or 1hr10 usually (minimum 40min) Most jobs are round trips consisting of Chingford-London-Enfield or Cheshunt-London-Chingford with the same after a PNB

CHI is 26 mins
CHN is 36 mins
ENF 32 mins

Also sign Ilford EMUD.

4 day week sundays extra (Committed)

Week blocks of annual leave Winter1/Spring1/Summer2/Autumn1/Winter1 all swapable/Moveable.
Thanks so much. So just to make sure I'm not being a complete idiot. It's 4 on 3 off type things. Sundays are part of the working week?

20atthemagnet

Thanks so much. So just to make sure I'm not being a complete idiot. It's 4 on 3 off type things. Sundays are part of the working week?

4 rostered days per week Mon-Sat. Sundays are NOT part of the working week but are commited. If you put yourself “not available” on the weekly sheet and there are enough people who want to do extra you get it off. If there arent you are “declined” you come in and work.

There are 26 sundays in a year period so it’s not every week. You can choose how you want to do it. Some people put not available every week and never work a Sunday, some people put their name down extra to work every single Sunday as as it’s +25%. Some people do their rostered ones only.

Some typical week patterns sun to sat would be:

OFF RD RD W W W W
OFF W W W W RD RD
ON W W RD RD W W

They try to keep the rest days together, but not always. You also get a long weekend if you work the beginning of one week in the end of the next with no Sunday. Most people swap lines and stick to one shift pattern (Lates/Earlies/Nights) Very few people follow the roster.

Ebee

4 rostered days per week Mon-Sat. Sundays are NOT part of the working week but are commited. If you put yourself “not available” on the weekly sheet and there are enough people who want to do extra you get it off. If there arent you are “declined” you come in and work.

There are 26 sundays in a year period so it’s not every week. You can choose how you want to do it. Some people put not available every week and never work a Sunday, some people put their name down extra to work every single Sunday as as it’s +25%. Some people do their rostered ones only.

Some typical week patterns sun to sat would be:

OFF RD RD W W W W
OFF W W W W RD RD
ON W W RD RD W W

They try to keep the rest days together, but not always. You also get a long weekend if you work the beginning of one week in the end of the next with no Sunday. Most people swap lines and stick to one shift pattern (Lates/Earlies/Nights) Very few people follow the roster.
Ah thanks so much.
Do you work for them?
So it's all block leave. Are there any floating days etc?
I have applied for the qualified driver role, just weighing my options.
Do they have any taxi arrangements?
Do you know the earliest start/latest finish etc? And there are nights you say?

Sorry about all the questions.
And thanks again for the info! Really appreciate it.

WA_Driver

I have applied for the vacancy for qualified drivers at New Cross Gate on 19th April and still haven’t heard a thing.

Does anyone have contact details for recruitment? As the E-Mail address on the website doesn’t work and the switchboard number doesn’t work or the voice message box is full.

20atthemagnet

Ah thanks so much.
Do you work for them?
So it's all block leave. Are there any floating days etc?
I have applied for the qualified driver role, just weighing my options.
Do they have any taxi arrangements?
Do you know the earliest start/latest finish etc? And there are nights you say?

Sorry about all the questions.
And thanks again for the info! Really appreciate it.
You can use lieu days for individual days which are credited for working a bank holiday or rest day. You can choose whether to bank a lieu day or take the enhanced pay for that day worked.
No taxi arrangements other than taxis within job diagrams.
Earliest start is 0500 latest finish 0130, 1 line of nights every 8 weeks if following roster.
I wonder why they don’t take trainee at Chingford.
Because they've never needed to. Compared to NX/Willesden, both depots have a relatively high turnover in comparison. Infact Chingford is 0 other than retirements. Between 2015 and now they've grown the establishment by 15 drivers and they could fill those with internal transfers from NX/Willesden. They then advertise for trainees for the gaps left at other depots. They only need drivers now as there new plans that mean the establishment again will have to grow pretty sharpish. Chingford is also completely different in terms of T&Cs, work intensity and pay (For now).

Last edited:

anglian96

You can use lieu days for individual days which are credited for working a bank holiday or rest day. You can choose whether to bank a lieu day or take the enhanced pay for that day worked.
No taxi arrangements other than taxis within job diagrams.
Earliest start is 0500 latest finish 0130, 1 line of nights every 8 weeks if following roster.

Because they've never needed to. Compared to NX/Willesden, both depots have a relatively high turnover in comparison. Infact Chingford is 0 other than retirements. Between 2015 and now they've grown the establishment by 15 drivers and they could fill those with internal transfers from NX/Willesden. They then advertise for trainees for the gaps left at other depots. They only need drivers now as there new plans that mean the establishment again will have to grow pretty sharpish. Chingford is also completely different in terms of T&Cs, work intensity and pay (For now).
What is the salary at chingford? Its not advertised on the job post. Thanks

baz962

Established Member
63.6k not including sundays.
Although they don't take trainees I do remember that the trainee wage at Chingford was higher than the other overground depots , despite the qualified salary is lower. Always thought that was nuts. Are you at Chingford?

20atthemagnet

Oh wow wasn't expecting it to be that much lower than the other depots. Thanks

Without sundays though. Include them and your past the other depots with alot less intense work content, which is why people are happy to transfer in on to the lower base salary and probably partly why they don’t recruit trainees directly on T&Cs they feel are from the past.

Either way wherever a person ends up its not just about the money its a good company, with a bright future with long term plans. Where TOCs seem to be trying to shave down everything to bare bones with the wider nationwide disputes, for companys like ARL and MTR Elizabeth Line its been business as usual for the most part and expansion. Thats in itself is worth its weight in gold in this climate and industrial relations even now are relatively postive. Signs are good for the future.

Good luck to those applying, doubtful you’ll regret it.

Samzino

I've always said money alone isn't always best when deciding a move. T and Cs are very important if not imo more than the salary as the bonuses on certain conditions can pay off quite well.

anglian96

Without sundays though. Include them and your past the other depots with alot less intense work content, which is why people are happy to transfer in on to the lower base salary and probably partly why they don’t recruit trainees directly on T&Cs they feel are from the past.

Either way wherever a person ends up its not just about the money its a good company, with a bright future with long term plans. Where TOCs seem to be trying to shave down everything to bare bones with the wider nationwide disputes, for companys like ARL and MTR Elizabeth Line its been business as usual for the most part and expansion. Thats in itself is worth its weight in gold in this climate and industrial relations even now are relatively postive. Signs are good for the future.

Good luck to those applying, doubtful you’ll regret it.
100% agree mate T&Cs over money anyday of the week.

Amex88

I thought they only recruited internally? Thats what they told me the last time they advertised, they said the internal list was high so they closed the vacancy.
I did turn the job down at NXG. Too much of a heavy work load tbh.
Yeah good money but a lot of content.
Lets see what they say about this one.. just cant see it happening.

whoosh

Established Member
Just to clarify, as the original post is about Chingford, but there are some replies here about New Cross Gate:

Chingford are based on 'former West Anglia conditions', which are Sundays OUTSIDE the working week (but look like they are committed now - they are overtime but you are expected to work them, unless you can find someone else to cover for you).
All other London Overground depots (including New Cross Gate) have Sundays INSIDE the working week.

Chingford have a slightly less basic salary as a result.
34 hour average week at all depots (at Chingford, not including Sundays).

OneLowban

It will be the same as any driver managers interview in the UK. Its personal chat with managers about you. Really high turnout for this one, well into the 3 digits.
Thanks yeah I just wondered if there might be any specifics as I’ve heard/experienced some different kinds of DMI but also wondered how a qualified driver DMI might differ to a trainee driver one.

Oh wow that is a lot.

Ebee

Sooo, I've just checked my application. It has gone from in process, to end of process. Does that mean unsuccessful?

Status
Not open for further replies.