• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail North Staff Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Does anyone know if former Northern staff are still entitled to free travel on Merseyrail? What are the arrangements for staff travel for ARN employees?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Does anyone know if former Northern staff are still entitled to free travel on Merseyrail? What are the arrangements for staff travel for ARN employees?

As I understand it from briefing notes, all existing arrangements and now expired staff passes are valid as before until the end of June. This is due to both the new TOCS not having managed to sort out any new passes or arrangements yet.

Further long term details, and new passes, are expected in the coming weeks / months.

Jonfun

Established Member
As of yesterday Arriva Northern are part of the Arriva group reciprocal travel scheme, so now get free travel on Arriva Trains Wales/Chiltern/CrossCountry/Grand Central/LOROL/Tyne and Wear Metro.

willas00

As of yesterday Arriva Northern are part of the Arriva group reciprocal travel scheme, so now get free travel on Arriva Trains Wales/Chiltern/CrossCountry/Grand Central/LOROL/Tyne and Wear Metro.

Not entirely true.

According to a guard I know LOROL is not currently included for some reason.

Although I suspect that will change soon

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Also worth noting that ARN staff can't have free travel on XC services that run parallel to ARN services at "Peak Time".

Example:

ARN employee travelling on 1145 Bournemouth - Manchester (1436 through Birmingham), would have to alight no later than Stoke-on-Trent, or pay Priv/use a box for travel from Stoke-on-Trent to Manchester.

ARN employee travelling on 1445 Bournemouth - Manchester (1736 through Birmingham) can travel free throughout.

Not sure yet how it works with the 1527 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth (presumably have to pay from Stockport), and 1507 Manchester Piccadilly - Bristol Temple Meads (presumably free)

Jonfun

Established Member
Not entirely true.

According to a guard I know LOROL is not currently included for some reason.

Although I suspect that will change soon

I'll double check in the morning, but I'm fairly certain the guard you know is mistaken.

Yes, there are restrictions on XC and GC. Though how strictly they'll be enforced is anybody's guess.

Minilad

Established Member
So. Free tractors :)

LOROL has been part of our free travel scheme for some while now.
I am OK to show my XC pass on Northern? Has it been officially announced yet. I have been off work this week so haven't seen anything on XC noticeboards

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also worth noting that ARN staff can't have free travel on XC services that run parallel to ARN services at "Peak Time".

Example:

ARN employee travelling on 1145 Bournemouth - Manchester (1436 through Birmingham), would have to alight no later than Stoke-on-Trent, or pay Priv/use a box for travel from Stoke-on-Trent to Manchester.

ARN employee travelling on 1445 Bournemouth - Manchester (1736 through Birmingham) can travel free throughout.

Not sure yet how it works with the 1527 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth (presumably have to pay from Stockport), and 1507 Manchester Piccadilly - Bristol Temple Meads (presumably free)

I can see what they are getting at, but that all sounds immensely complicated.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
LOROL is not currently part of the agreement that has been made available to ARN staff.

So. Free tractors :)

LOROL has been part of our free travel scheme for some while now.
I am OK to show my XC pass on Northern? Has it been officially announced yet. I have been off work this week so haven't seen anything on XC noticeboards

As far as I am aware, yes you can.

I can see what they are getting at, but that all sounds immensely complicated.

Immensely complicated and incredibly unlikely to ever be enforced

The other routes I can think of that have been mentioned are York-Leeds/Doncaster-Sheffield and Newcastle-Darlington, the latter not being too popular amongst staff in the Northeast.

Manglements counter argument seems to be "it'll be reviewed each April and can be withdrawn at any time".

Last edited:
Cheers for that. I am back in on Tuesday so will so if there is any confirmation at our end.
Strange for LOROL not to be included for Northern staff though

Potentially (not at all sure on this) it might have something to do with LO being a TfL issued concession rather than a DfT issue franchise, are LO considered a TOC as such to allow staff travel? Or considered now along the lines of LU?

Minilad

Established Member
Potentially (not at all sure on this) it might have something to do with LO being a TfL issued concession rather than a DfT issue franchise, are LO considered a TOC as such to allow staff travel? Or considered now along the lines of LU?

I don't know. But we have had travel on LOROL included in our free scheme for quite awhile now. Seems strange that Northern are left out. Unless we are all to be left out at some point.

greatkingrat

Established Member
There is already reciprocal travel between LOROL and Chiltern/XC/ATW/GC so I don't why adding Northern would be a great problem. Maybe it just needs to be officially signed off by someone at TfL before they can announce it.

gray1404

Established Member
Does anyone know if the arrangements have been finalised yet? More specifically if Northern staff can travel free on the Arriva run Tyne and Wear Metro?

I am making a trip with my friend who works for Northern end of next week. He said that the information given been patchy and they have been slow to update things like this under the new franchise (along with other things). He is going to find out for sure when he is back in work next week (on leave now) but I thought someone here might know the the mean time?

Thanks in advance! :)

UPDATE: Just learnt from my friend who has asked a colleague and been pointed to a document on their online portal, that according to the Arriva staff travel agreement that a Northern employee would indeed me entitle to leisure travel on the Type and Wear Metro. Also that Merseyrail (going back to the OP) is included still and will be subject to review. Happy days!

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....He said that the information given been patchy and they have been slow to update things like this under the new franchise (along with other things). He is going to find out for sure when he is back in work next week (on leave now) but I thought someone here might know the the mean time?....

Strangely enough I think the travel facilities is probably one of the things Arriva Rail North have advertised the best to staff, but that really isn't saying much. what I would suggest is that you friend makes sure his Northern pass has been renewed.

Last edited:

Anvil1984

Established Member
Northern staff have had free travel on Tyne and Wear Metro for at least the last 5 years it's not just an Arriva thing

gray1404

Established Member
what I would suggest is that you friend makes sure his Northern pass has been renewed.

His current one doesn't expire just yet. I am assuming that he would be able to use his "old" Northern one and renew the existing one he holds shortly before it expires? Or are you saying he should renew it sooner?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
His current one doesn't expire just yet. I am assuming that he would be able to use his "old" Northern one and renew the existing one he holds shortly before it expires? Or are you saying he should renew it sooner?

If he is an employee he should already have his new pass (some haven't arrived and need to be chased up), but it has been known for staff using "old Northern" passes to find they are not being permitted free travel by some TOC Guards (not Tyne & Wear Metro to my knowledge), even though they are entitled to it.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
OK, thanks. He certainly is an employee. I just asked him and he said he hasn't has his yet but will chase it up with his Manager when he is back in work next week.

gray1404

Established Member
Just by way of update, my friend returned to work and upon signing on he was asked to sign for his new staff ID card and return the old one. They kept that same photo as what they had on file so it was there waiting for him. He also had no problems this being accepted on the Metro, both by gateline staff and Revenue Protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.