• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail North Timetable/Travel Advice on Strike Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Using Skipton as example, am I right in thinking that the class 333s normally work in multiples of two? Can they operate as 12 car? By the way, also thanks to Starmill (where are my manners?).
All are four car.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
Are there many chances to double up units on the various lines? I'll admit I am very ignorant about Northern services, but I am interested of course.
Bolton Manchester shuttles get 6 carriages. Definitely more than regular services (2-4). Can use this website to check the number of carriages under CIS Summary Widescreen (but only on the day of travel)

Veteran Member
Is this typical of what's been provided up until now? You get an hourly service from cities to surrounding towns and "the shop shuts" at about 1700 (last trains)? I suppose you can get Saturday shopping done, but it's too tight if attending the football (for instance). (l looked up Skipton, Macclesfield and Buxton as examples).
Fairly typical for the last few weeks. For the first couple of months services had run till about 1900.

Andyh82

Established Member
Using Skipton as example, am I right in thinking that the class 333s normally work in multiples of two? Can they operate as 12 car? By the way, also thanks to Starmill (where are my manners?).
Are there many chances to double up units on the various lines? I'll admit I am very ignorant about Northern services, but I am interested of course.
I believe all 333s are only ever run as single units.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I believe all 333s are only ever run as single units.
Thanks to all answers. My point I suppose was obvious, but it was that if there is a much reduced frequency of service, it would be very useful if units could double up, so as to reduce overcrowding. Those last trains on the Saturday afternoon are going to be cosy aren't they?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks to all answers. My point I suppose was obvious, but it was that if there is a much reduced frequency of service, it would be very useful if units could double up, so as to reduce overcrowding. Those last trains on the Saturday afternoon are going to be cosy aren't they?
Coupling up 333s is risky business, they often throw wobbles.
Something you definitely don't want on strike days.
Sam

Bevan Price

Established Member
Coupling up 333s is risky business, they often throw wobbles.
Something you definitely don't want on strike days.
Sam
Apart from Leeds, I doubt that there are many stations with platforms long enough to accept 2x333 formations.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Apart from Leeds, I doubt that there are many stations with platforms long enough to accept 2x333 formations.

One which spring to mind are the 2 long platforms at Bradford Forster Square, maybe one of the platforms at Shipley [the one where the LNER Bradford service uses], Ilkley.

Smidster

To be honest on the Airedale line (Skipton - Leeds) I don't think there have been overcrowding issues.

I got the penultimate train on the 15th and there were spare seats - the strikes have simply decimated the trade

northernchris

Established Member
To be honest on the Airedale line (Skipton - Leeds) I don't think there have been overcrowding issues.

I got the penultimate train on the 15th and there were spare seats - the strikes have simply decimated the trade

When the last train was the 1856 they were some overcrowding issues, one week a replacement bus was sourced for those left behind and another Northern managed to run an additional unadvertised service to transport those unable to board. Finishing at 5pm has certainly reduced passenger numbers though

Status
Not open for further replies.