• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Surrey and Kent- Is this the start of the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran1990

Hi all,

I see on Surrey CC’s website from late July a number of Arriva’s services are either cut down in frequency (Guildford area) or another operator is taking over (Woking area/ Uni of Surrey services)

I know Arriva have lost the contract to operate University of Surrey’s campus service (26/27/38) with Stagecoach taking over with Route 1/2/X1.
A slight bus war starting on the 26/27 route with stagecoach operating the 1 & 2 over the same route at a higher frequency, apart from Uni campus where Arriva will divert via The Chase.
I think there will 7 buses an hour in each direction over this popular circular route of Guildford.

Could this be a sign that Arriva could pull out of the Guildford/ Woking area eventually? They have lost a lot of work in the past 3/5 years. I.e Surrey Hills and Cranleigh depot closed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
I thought there had already pulled out of that area with Go ahead mopping up?

Hophead

Established Member
Go-Ahead (in the guise of Metrobus) took on the Crawley network (2001 I think) and, subsequently, Horsham (2009 or so), both from Arriva. I would suggest that they have made considerably more of the operations than Arriva would have managed.

Surreyman

No, Arriva Guildford is still alive, representing the last vestige of London Country South West and one of the last London Transport (Country Area) depots still in use.
Reported that Arriva have lost a PVR of 3 on the loss of the tenders, it's unlikely that the 26/27 will continue in their revised routing (not via Surrey University)for very long, at least not at the same frequency.
Stagecoach took over the 17 from Arriva and opened up a depot in Peasmarsh (Just south of Guildford).
Much as I would like to see Arriva exit Guildford, don't see it happening anytime soon.
More chance of First exiting Slough (now that would really make me happy!!)

Kieran1990

Reported that Arriva have lost a PVR of 3 on the loss of the tenders, it's unlikely that the 26/27 will continue in their revised routing (not via Surrey University)for very long, at least not at the same frequency.
Stagecoach took over the 17 from Arriva and opened up a depot in Peasmarsh (Just south of Guildford).
Much as I would like to see Arriva exit Guildford, don't see it happening anytime soon.
More chance of First exiting Slough (now that would really make me happy!!)

Yes I have feeling the 26/27 won’t last long at all, especially once the students are back. Safeguard already offer cheaper fares over the diverted section and the people of The Chase/ Guildford Pk are very loyal to safeguard. Who are by far the best operator in Guildford
I no longer live in Guildford but family all do and I know they and a large sector of the community would like to see the back of Arriva who are rip off and have dominated the Guildford area for over 20 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.