• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva trains improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlarriva

Hello,
I have just been talking to a couple of friends about how in recent months the train service of Arriva trains Wales has improved considerably over the first quarter of the year. This is pleasing to see as a customer and an Arriva train enthusiast. Has anyone else from the community noticed this?
Carlarriva

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jones

A flippant answer would be they have spare staff from the Cambrian and possibly a spare unit or two?:D

But I'm impressed with all my recent travels and there have been a lot.

eisenach

I'll let you know ! My wife is travelling to and from Reading quite a lot over the next few weeks. It usually involves a missed connection at lovely Newport, and with the current works between Newport and Cardiff, I'm not optimistic. Leominster station carpark loses its charm after a bit, but at least it's (still) free !

trainophile

Established Member
I don't think they have sorted out the regular overcrowding situation yet, especially on Sundays when they bring out the Sprinters. But if I do get a seat (which I generally do, at least in one direction, as I start from where the train starts from!) I've no real complaints.

Occasionally freaked out by tweets that the **30 from Manchester Piccadilly will be started from Crewe, but touch wood I haven't had that experience personally yet. They do seem to have more than their share of "this is due to a faulty train" situations.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I don't think they have sorted out the regular overcrowding situation yet, especially on Sundays when they bring out the Sprinters. But if I do get a seat (which I generally do, at least in one direction, as I start from where the train starts from!) I've no real complaints.

Occasionally freaked out by tweets that the **30 from Manchester Piccadilly will be started from Crewe, but touch wood I haven't had that experience personally yet. They do seem to have more than their share of "this is due to a faulty train" situations.
These instances are usually due to signalling problems

Tracky

These instances are usually due to signalling problems

Or freight trains failing on the marches.

I am a little concerned about fleet needs for the hourly Cambrian service taking 158s off the North Wales - Manchester jobs. I like 150s but they are not suited to the route and seem to be turning up more frequently as it is. Only going to get worse when Aber goes hourly.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Hello,
I have just been talking to a couple of friends about how in recent months the train service of Arriva trains Wales has improved considerably over the first quarter of the year. This is pleasing to see as a customer and an Arriva train enthusiast. Has anyone else from the community noticed this?
Carlarriva

In what way have they improved? With all due respect your first thread is very open! First quarter to March?
Are they cleaner, better time keeping, or what inspired your colleagues, are you North or South based?

Last edited:

Y961 XBU

I would not agree that Arriva are improving, in fact i would say they are going downhill, the Capacity of the Llandudno - Manchester Pic/ Manchester Airport seems to be dropping with it getting more and more regular a 2 car train is on the service instead of a 3 car Train, The Trains themselves are also not as good as they used to be, for Example i had a 158 Class from Manchester Pic - Warrington Bank Quay before, one of the doors had a fault with it so the conductor kept having to shut it by hand, 1 of the Toilets was out of order and i got stuck in the other.... Recently not been Impressed at all.

Rant over :P

Parallel

Established Member
I've noticed Arriva have been doing really well recently, though I noticed two things whilst travelling over the last week.

I caught a service from Newport (ex Carmarthen) to Shrewsbury (continuing to Manchester) last Tuesday, my train was about 8 late from Newport but was nearly 30 minutes late by Craven Arms/Church Stretton/Shrewsbury and I almost missed the Cambrian & Cambrian Coast service from Shrewsbury! I always try to have at least half an hour to change and I'm glad I did this as if I had taken the recommended Holyhead train, I would have missed it, had to wait nearly two hours and then changed at Machynlleth as well as get replacement bus transport at Barmouth.

The trains have also been delayed on the coast line in the last week but this is understandable, particularly because the line has just re-opened to Harlech. Trains have been hanging around at Tywyn for over 15 minutes waiting for another train to pass, and at some stations, the departure board does not update any further delays and just wipes the train off when it's still over 5 minutes away. This isn't really an issue though due to the relatively few services. Another thing is that some stations along the Cambrian coast only list the train as going as far as Machynlleth, and then you get on there are reservations to stations like Wolverhampton. Obviously it forms the front half of the Birmingham services, but some of the stations said it was going to Birmingham New Street, some were saying Machynlleth and the onboard displays were saying it was going to Birmingham International, and if you're doing a long journey, none of these show up on the national rail website. Slightly confusing!!

Everything else has been super though, the staff and the service and I have been really impressed recently. I even saw a 2x 175 operating together on Bank Holiday Monday!

Last edited:

gareth950

The Valley lines are definitely NOT improving at the moment. The Cardiff area signalling renewal programme has resulted in quite a few catastrophic signalling failures across the valleys network in recent months. The worst being in March when about 3pm on a Friday afternoon multiple signal failures across the network caused the entire Valley lines network to grind to a halt.

I was stuck at Cardiff Queen Street and then Cardiff Central for over 3 hours before I eventually got home that evening.

OK so signalling problems are not specifically ATW fault, but the state of the trains is and it's disheartening when a shiny, newly painted 143 or 150 pulls into the station to find it's still just as tatty and worn out on the inside. Or when random valley lines services are cancelled due to a 'train fault' or a 'broken down train'.

Still no definite news on the Valleys electrification either. So ATW are doing great right now :(

merlodlliw

Established Member
I note all Holyhead/Cardiff ATWs are terminating at Shrewsbury, I understand for a month. I used the late running 1642 out of Ruabon to Shrewsbury, this 175 2 car then became the 1730 out of Salop to Mancherster (Full & Standing).

Due to the pathing between Newport & Cardiff, Only the ATW Manchester to South Wales are running down the Marches,In my opinion as the Holyhead/Cardiff are lightly loaded, better to send the heavily used Manchesters through.

Not surprising, not a word from the OP!

eisenach

Wife came back via Newport yesterday afternoon. The 17.07 arrival at Leominster was 15 minutes late, the previous train had been cancelled and the 17.07 was only a 2 car 175 (175 002 on the front). Two trains-worth of passengers, so standing room only all the way from Newport and cattle truck conditions from Hereford to Leominster where it's heavily used by sixth form college students.
Not what I'd call doing well ! We'll see how next week's journeys go.

headshot119

Established Member
I note all Holyhead/Cardiff ATWs are terminating at Shrewsbury, I understand for a month. I used the late running 1642 out of Ruabon to Shrewsbury, this 175 2 car then became the 1730 out of Salop to Mancherster (Full & Standing).

Due to the pathing between Newport & Cardiff, Only the ATW Manchester to South Wales are running down the Marches,In my opinion as the Holyhead/Cardiff are lightly loaded, better to send the heavily used Manchesters through.

Not surprising, not a word from the OP!

I like how nothing about the Holyheads/Cardiffs at terminating at Shrewsbury is stated on NRE. :roll:

HowardGWR

Established Member
Wife came back via Newport yesterday afternoon. The 17.07 arrival at Leominster was 15 minutes late, the previous train had been cancelled and the 17.07 was only a 2 car 175 (175 002 on the front). Two trains-worth of passengers, so standing room only all the way from Newport and cattle truck conditions from Hereford to Leominster where it's heavily used by sixth form college students.
Not what I'd call doing well ! We'll see how next week's journeys go.

Same on our trips where midday, the 175 units were packed tighter than cattle, e.g. between Newport and Abergavenny. It seems to me, as an outsider, that Arriva are trying to cater for local commuters and shoppers at the same time as longer distance traffic. It was the same between Newport and Swansea. In any event they need a 50% increase in capacity to handle demand. Daft Q perhaps, can the 175s take an extra intermediate carriage without denting performance hugely?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Same on our trips where midday, the 175 units were packed tighter than cattle, e.g. between Newport and Abergavenny. It seems to me, as an outsider, that Arriva are trying to cater for local commuters and shoppers at the same time as longer distance traffic. It was the same between Newport and Swansea.

That pretty much sums it up. There is a lot of local demand south of Hereford, and the stations there really could do with a local service so that the long distance trains can miss out calls at Pontypool Road, Abergavenny and Cwmbran.

But there isn't any stock to run such a service, so we end up where we are now.

It doesn't help that the 175's don't have enough capacity at busy times without there being overcrowding. If there's only a two car unit on it's carnage!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A regular feature if the trains service is reduced due to Engineering Work, but it makes wonder at times if TOCs give any thought on how to accommodate the passengers. But, I appreciate that it could entail additional resources which, of course, are not there. Just wondering though, if there could have been any leeway to put 3 coach 175s on all Manchester trains..

merlodlliw

Established Member
I like how nothing about the Holyheads/Cardiffs at terminating at Shrewsbury is stated on NRE. :roll:

I can not understand why ATW or others have not informed the public that 8 daily Cardiff bound trains will terminate/start at Shrewsbury,it was only when I saw the screens at Ruabon did I realise something was amiss.
Not a poster or anything in sight. All Nat Rail say is 2 out of 4 lines in operation between Newport & Cardiff.Not a word about cancelled services.

Bakers1970

I can not understand why ATW or others have not informed the public that 8 daily Cardiff bound trains will terminate/start at Shrewsbury,it was only when I saw the screens at Ruabon,did I realise something was amiss.
Not a poster or anything in sight. All Nat Rail say is 2 out of 4 lines in operation between Newport & Cardiff.Not a word about cancelled services.

Just a thought.... does this include the Wag Express?? and doesnt ATW have additional spare stock sat waiting in Canton?? seems madness if the overcrowding is this bad...

I am very puzzled by the rationale for this 'improvement' to the service provided by Arriva in new timetable

"05.35 Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog - Calls additionally at Tal-y-Cafn"

Currently this train is not timetabled to stop at any of the request stops - e.g. Dolwyddelan - and according to Wikipedia Tal-y-Cafn was used by 1,666 passengers in 2012-3. In reality, every train stops at Tal-y-Cafn for the crossing gates to be opened.

Welshman

Established Member
I can not understand why ATW or others have not informed the public that 8 daily Cardiff bound trains will terminate/start at Shrewsbury,it was only when I saw the screens at Ruabon did I realise something was amiss.

I agree- the ATW website mentions engineering work between Cardiff and Newport & Chester and Crewe, but says nothing about turning all North Wales -Cardiff [with the exception of "Gerald"] services back at Shrewsbury. I happened to find out by accident from the departure screens at my local station!!

Incidentally, it does rather put the dogma that there must be a two-hourly service from Holyhead to Cardiff [instead of to Crewe, etc - see recent debates on this forum] into perspective when these "vital" trains can suddenly be truncated at Shrewsbury without any prior publicity.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

It does have this on ATW website:

'Between 01st and 19th May, Network Rail will undertake essential maintenance work between Cardiff Central and Newport / Ebbw Vale Parkway. Arriva Trains Wales services will be running to an amended timetable.

During this period, Journey times may be extended, and the origin + destination stations may differ to the normal timetable.'
-
That might cover it but not a great deal of information!

Welshman

Established Member
It does have this on ATW website:

'Between 01st and 19th May, Network Rail will undertake essential maintenance work between Cardiff Central and Newport / Ebbw Vale Parkway. Arriva Trains Wales services will be running to an amended timetable.

During this period, Journey times may be extended, and the origin + destination stations may differ to the normal timetable.'
-
That might cover it but not a great deal of information!

Agreed - it isn't!

How many [non rail enthusiasts] turning-up to make their usual journey from, say Bangor to Hereford or Llandudno to Ludlow will realise their services will be affected by maintenance work between Cardiff Central and Newport/Ebbw Vale Parkway?

That would seem miles away and of little interest to them. The implications of a reduced number of paths between Newport and Cardiff need to be spelled-out for them and their particular journeys.

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Agreed - it isn't!

How many [non rail enthusiasts] turning-up to make their usual journey from, say Bangor to Hereford or Llandudno to Ludlow will realise their services will be affected by maintenance work between Cardiff Central and Newport/Ebbw Vale Parkway?

That would seem miles away and of little interest to them. The implications of a reduced number of paths between Newport and Cardiff for them need to be specifically stated.

Given that regular journeys between Bangor and Hereford and Llandudno Ludlow are very very small in number there may not be anyone effected in the period involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.