• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Trains Wales Diagram Anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Hello everyone,
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, as I cannot work it out.
The 1510 Swansea to Chester service is book to arrive at Chester in platform 3. It is not shown as leaving this platform, and 10 mins later the 1710 London Euston to Holyhead service comes through platform 3. I assume the 175/0 that is booked to work the 1510 from Swansea goes to Chester DMU depot, but this is not shown. Does anyone know where it goes?

Adam :D

I understand it goes for servicing?, this train replaced "Gerald" on the 1621 ex CDF service, when the Premier service traveled to Holyhead, perhaps its the return of the 0830 Llandudno/Cardiff service, that somehow gets to Swansea,

Bob

headshot119

Established Member
If that particular voyager is only a 5 car, it's possible that the 175 sits in 3A, and the voyager uses 3B via the crossover half way down the platform.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Nope, it's a 10 car. After pulling in at 1915, one unit continues to Holyhead at 1921, the other forms a Euston service at 1935.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Yeah, it is deffo a 10 car Voyager. I assume the 175 must go to the depot, but with a path that isn't shown in the system.

Erniescooper

I would imagine the ferryman would do shunt move from platform 3 to 4 and couple to the terminating 1D33 and take two units across as 5D33 . You can't get onto the depot reception from platform 3 and most units are brought over to the depots in twos or threes .

SprinterMan

Established Member
I would imagine the ferryman would do shunt move from platform 3 to 4 and couple to the terminating 1D33 and take two units across as 5D33 . You can't get onto the depot reception from platform 3 and most units are brought over to the depots in twos or threes .

This is an excellent suggestion, and it seems quite likely that this is what happens. The only problem I can see with this theory is that the 1730 Holyhead to Shrewsbury uses platform 4 to reverse in after the Voyager comes though. They could both fit in the platform, but then the DMU from Swansea would be at the wrong end of the platform to let 1D33 terminate in it, unless platform 4 is long enough for a 158 and 2 175s, which it might be.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Platform 4 is plenty lomg enough. Prior to December, it went on own to Depot having shunted out via East End and via DTL. Would assume now shunts out via East End to Pl 4 and awaits 1D33 to attach and save ECS move to Depot.

SprinterMan

Established Member
If anyone is interested, I witnessed the arrival of 1W91 at Chester yesterday. What happens is it terminates in Platform 7, then shunts into the carriage siding next to Chester station to act as a standby unit. It does not form part of 5D33, that is just formed of the unit from 1D33.

When you witnessed 1D91 what type of train was it?
I know Realtimetrains isn't dependable for train type but I'd like to hope that it wasn't a 150 from Swansea...

SprinterMan

Established Member
When you witnessed 1D91 what type of train was it?
I know Realtimetrains isn't dependable for train type but I'd like to hope that it wasn't a 150 from Swansea...

It is only timed for a 150 because it is a Swanline stopper for the first part of it's trip. It is booked for a 175/0, which is what I saw (175005). Full diagram is:

5H78 0321 Chester D.M.U.D. to Chester
1H78 0334 Chester to Manchester Airport
1D30 0533 Manchester Airport to Llandudno
2D55 0802 Llandudno to Llandudno Junction
2D56 0817 Llandudno Junction to Llandudno
1V34 0830 Llandudno to Cardiff Central
5V34 1212 Cardiff Central to Cardiff Canton Sidings
5B65 1302 Cardiff Canton Sidings to Cardiff Central
2B65 1314 Cardiff Central to Swansea
1W91 1510 Swansea to Chester

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Iv34 the ECS movement between Shrewsbury and Cardiff!

Ah yes, the old WAG2. This really needs to class at Hereford and Abergavenny at the very least to become a viable service. Some combination of those two and Cwmbran/Ludlow/Leominster would be even better. Both the old and new northbound WAGs call at Hereford and Abergavenny, with the old one also doing Cwmbran. Arriva really need to sort this out.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Ah yes, the old WAG2. This really needs to class at Hereford and Abergavenny at the very least to become a viable service. Some combination of those two and Cwmbran/Ludlow/Leominster would be even better. Both the old and new northbound WAGs call at Hereford and Abergavenny, with the old one also doing Cwmbran. Arriva really need to sort this out.

its a mess that one it duplicates terribly eastbound traffic on the North Wales Coast and forces the Birmingham train to go via Crewe. It empty's at Shrewsbury having replaced the Birmingham via Wrexham which everyone then transfer onto when it catches up via Crewe being longer than via Wrexham from Chester to Shrewsbury. It then heads south with less than 20 on it and adds nothing to what was already there between Llandudno and Shrewsbury. An utter waste of half a working day for a unit.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It's still got to get to Cardiff but the main culprit is the Single Line between Wrexham and Saltney shortly, hopefully, to be doubled for part of the route. It just took up the old WAG2 path specified to run via Wrexham.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Yes with the routing is has to get to Cardiff,our local Rail User Group were hoping the Birmingham train would have been reinstated via Wrexham when WG pulled the plug,

The Llandudno to Cardiff is a mess I agree, a stop at Hereford would have helped to fill the train.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.