• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Wales on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Had a bulletin at work about Arriva Wales running amended timetables on Sunday with a lot of bus replacements. Anyone know what is going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Had a bulletin at work about Arriva Wales running amended timetables on Sunday with a lot of bus replacements. Anyone know what is going on?

I posted this on RF two weeks ago

Wales & Borders October engineering programme
From ATW , October Engineering, alterations Wales & Borders.for your interest

A Telford Central to Wolverhampton
Sundays 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st October
Trains between Birmingham International and Aberystwyth / Holyhead will be replaced with road transport between Telford Central and Wolverhampton serving all stations via Cosford in both directions. Customers travelling between Wolverhampton and Birmingham International are advised to travel with another train operator as no Arriva Trains Wales services will operate between these stations on these dates.

B Wrexham Central / Shotton to Bidston
Saturday 16th October and Sundays 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th October
Trains between Wrexham Central / Shotton and Bidston will be replaced with road transport between Shotton and Bidston, serving Neston, Heswall, and Upton in both directions on Sundays 3rd, 10th, and 24th October. On Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th October trains between Wrexham Central and Bidston will be replaced with road transport serving all stations via Shotton in both directions.

C Bridgend to Rhoose
Saturday 9th October and Sundays 10th and 24th October
Trains between Cardiff Central and Bridgend via the Vale of Glamorgan will be replaced with road transport between Bridgend and Rhoose serving Llantwit Major in both directions.

D Radyr to Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil, & Treherbert
Sunday 10th October until 1640
Trains will be replaced with road transport between Radyr and Aberdare / Merthyr Tydfil / Treherbert serving all stations via Pontypridd in both directions until 1640.

E Hereford to Craven Arms (Shrewsbury & Broome until 1330)
Sunday 17th October
Trains between West Wales / Cardiff Central and Crewe / Manchester Piccadilly / Holyhead will be replaced with road transport between Hereford and Craven Arms (Shrewsbury & Broome until 1330) serving all stations via Ludlow in both directions.

F Chester to Wrexham General
Sunday 17th October
Trains between Holyhead / Chester and Shrewsbury / Birmingham International will be replaced with road transport between Chester and Wrexham General in both directions.

G Chester to Rhyl
Sunday 17th October
Trains between Holyhead / Chester and Crewe / Manchester Piccadilly / Cardiff Central will be replaced with road transport between Chester and Rhyl serving Shotton, Flint and Prestatyn in both directions.

H Cardiff Central to Barry Island / Bridgend via VoG / Penarth
Sunday 17th October until 1215
Trains will be replaced with road transport between Cardiff Central and Barry Island / Bridgend via VoG / Penarth serving all stations in both directions until 1215.

I Cardiff Central to Rhymney
Sunday 24th October until 1540
Trains will be replaced with road transport between Cardiff Central and Rhymney serving all stations via Caerphilly in both directions until 1540.

J Newport to Hereford
Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October
Trains between West Wales / Cardiff Central and Crewe / Manchester Piccadilly / Holyhead will be replaced with road transport between Newport and Hereford serving all stations via Abergavenny in both directions.

Squaddie

The OP was asking specifically about the short-notice bus replacement services on ATW this coming Sunday, which your list does not cover.

Customer Services confirmed to me earlier today that they are due to an unexpected shortage of drivers available to work on Sunday.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The info screens this afternoon at Llanelli advised passengers to check Sunday jurneys due to industrial action by some members of staff.

merlodlliw

Established Member
The info screens this afternoon at Llanelli advised passengers to check Sunday jurneys due to industrial action by some members of staff.

this as been put up & sent out to ATW stations, seems OK in the North except for engineering.

Changes to Services, Sunday 3rd October
01 October 2010
Arriva Trains Wales is advising passengers that there will be changes to services in SOUTH WALES on Sunday 3rd October with some services replaced by buses.
A normal train service will run between:
Chester and Manchester
Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth / Pwllhelli
Swansea and Shrewsbury (Heart of Wales line)
North Wales Coast (Holyhead - Llandudno - Chester services)

Buses will replace trains between:
Cardiff Central and Ebbw Vale Parkway - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
Cardiff Central and Barry Island / Bridgend / Penarth - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
Pontypridd and Aberdare / Merthyr Tydfil (connecting with the amended train service between Cardiff Central and Treherbert at Pontypridd) - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
Shotton and Bidston (this is planned engineering work)
Telford Central and Wolverhampton (this is planned engineering work)

There will be no trains between:
Cardiff Central and Cardiff Bay (Passengers should travel on Cardiff Bus services) - Bay Car Timetable
Cardiff Central and Gloucester. Passengers should travel on CrossCountry services - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)

An amended train service will run between:
Cardiff Central and Carmarthen / Fishguard / Milford Haven / Pembroke Dock - with a slightly reduced train service - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
Cardiff Central and Manchester - Buses replace trains in the morning and the evening between Cardiff Central and Hereford and between Hereford and Shrewsbury - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
Crewe and Chester - 2 late morning trains are cancelled
Cardiff Central and Treherbert - amended train service all day - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
Cardiff Central and Rhymney - amended train service all day - Amended Timetable (Adobe Acrobat PDF)

For further information about the amended timetables for 3rd October 2010, please contact Customer Relations on 0845 606 1660, 8:00am to 8pm Mondays to Saturdays, and 11am to 8pm on Sundays.

Pacerpilot

As per usual, ATW whipping up a bit of propaganda. Its not industrial action. Sundays are NOT contracted as part of our working week and subsequently we are not obliged to work them. I don't see taking my day off as industrial action.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Neither do I mate! When I read the screen, I thought, 'funny that's the first of heard of it', then I thought with the golf on, perhaps a lot more staff than usual don't want to work.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Just as I thought! There were a few cancellations more than usual when Cardiff were in the FA Cup, it should be no surprise to find fewer volunteers when there are major sporting events on!

emoaconr

Good to see they were using the capacity on a Sunday, though I'd be interested to see the reaction if ATW used a six car 150 on the WAG Express...:roll:
It did fill up considerably with mostly Americans at Newport. I think I made the mistake of sitting in the middle unit!

I don't actually mind the 150's. They're nice and light inside and they just seem a more sociable unit. My main bugbear with them is the lack of bloody legroom (and I have long legs!), and the awful groaning noise they make when they go nearer 70mph.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Currently, yes. That's why they're refusing to work sundays, and like has been said, they don't have to

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it isn't an Arriva thing, if that's what you're interested in. I think it's a British Rail thing? There's still a fair few TOCs that haven't managed to negotiate a change (and it is a big change) to T&Cs with the unions to bring Sunday into the working week. It's a bargaining the chip the unions are very keen to hold on to. The agreements in place also ensure that new employees get the same T&Cs with regards to hours of work.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, it's a powerful bargaining tool for unions, and it will also cost more for TOC's to implement bringing Sundays inside the working week. And so, where it exists, the status quo will continue for the foreseeable future!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Yes, it's a powerful bargaining tool for unions, and it will also cost more for TOC's to implement bringing Sundays inside the working week. And so, where it exists, the status quo will continue for the foreseeable future!

agree, I wonder if the likes of W/S and other open access operators have a 7 day rota, as open access wont come under Take over of undertakings regs.
Good bargaining deals of course to buy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.