• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arup wins £60m Bristol rail link design new Portishead station

Status
Not open for further replies.

fv43576

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2015/07/28/arup-wins-design-or-60m-bristol-metrowest/

Construction Enquirer said:
Arup has been appointed by Network Rail to undertake the outline design for the £60m Phase 1 of the MetroWest project in Bristol.

This first step marks the beginning of £100m investment in the area’s rail infrastructure.

A new station will be built at Portishead as a part of the project, and Pill station and 5km of previously disused railway line will be re-opened by May 2019.

The line will restore the rail link between Portishead and Bristol city centre. Enhancement works at Bathampton and Avonmouth complete the scope.

I have been look on Google maps bird eyes of Portishead, the old Portishead station is where the car park and building is. So the new it will not be allocation on the same where the old was?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have edited your post to include a quote from the link you have posted, as required by the forum rules :smile:

As to your question; the new station won't be on the site of the old station because they don't want to have trains run over a level crossing.

MarkyT

Established Member
As to your question; the new station won't be on the site of the old station because they don't want to have trains run over a level crossing.

Across a new(ish) road that was built across the old alignment without any thought, let alone active or passive provision, for rail reinstatement.

MarkyT

Established Member
The location of the new Portishead station was finalised back in March. Details can be read on page 10 of the following document:

http://travelwest.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/consultation-leaflet-june-august-2015.pdf

Yes I know that. I was merely noting a road was built, I believe in the last decade or so, across the old formation which has practically prevented the reinstated railway reaching its former terminus or a site considered nearby. I'm not complaining about the decision, and now think the current plan is the best practical option given the circumstances. The site will serve new housing at the Bristol end of town very well whilst being a reasonable walk from the older parts.

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread. (Admin please move if Not.)

I have a few questions regarding the Portishead line.

With most of the line from Parson St to Portbury the line will share its tracks with regular freight traffic to and from Portbury dock. This will be a pain for the planners of the upgrade of the line and the timetable creators. I have a couple of questions listed below, I am not a engineer or a train planner just a railway station worker so your help in understanding these questions.

With freight using the line all year round and is used a number of times a day. What will happen to the freight traffic when the line is upgraded?

The line is currently Token and single line. Is the line being doubled to handle the traffic and would there be a line speed increase from the current 25mph?

What will happen when late or early freight services leave Portbury or Bristol before Passenger trains. Will it just be delay the passenger train and get some angry customers?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

HowardGWR

Established Member
There will be two lines through Pill, but only one platform. The freight will use one line, pax trains, both ways, the other (IIRC)..

MarkyT

Established Member
Don't know precise details but I expect that along with the track changes the token signalling will be replaced with modern colour lights operating under TCB rules with axle counters for train detection. That should provide sufficient capacity for the planned half hourly passenger service interspersed with at least an hourly freight path in one or the other direction.

fgwrich

Established Member
There will be two lines through Pill, but only one platform. The freight will use one line, pax trains, both ways, the other (IIRC)..

Is this a Penryn type solution I wonder or is Pill station too far to effectively become a junction with two parallel lines - similar to Crediton and the Okehampton/Barnstaple Branch separation?

MarkyT

Established Member
Is this a Penryn type solution I wonder or is Pill station too far to effectively become a junction with two parallel lines - similar to Crediton and the Okehampton/Barnstaple Branch separation?

Not a Penryn loop as far as I know, rather the single line will likely split just Bristol side of Pill station. The time a passenger will spend on the single line beyond out to Portishead (including the Pill stop in either direction and the turnround at the terminus) should be sufficient to allow a freight to run in either direction between Pill and Ashton Gate, so that's actually one freight path in both directions every hour. If an up freight was exiting the docks, it could be waiting at Pill junction ready for the passenger train from Bristol to arrive then after departing promptly as soon as the passenger is clear of the junction it should be well out of the way before the passenger returns. Similarly in the down direction a freight could follow a down passenger and again be well out of the way before it returned in the up direction. In the down direction in particular an additional intermediate block signal (+ distant) provided midway between Ashton Gate and Pill Junction would be useful to enable the freight to folllow the passenger as closely as possible. At around 12km from the end of double line at Ashton Gate to Portishead, out and back should be achievable within 30 minutes with a reasonable turnround and only one intermediate stop.

PeterY

Established Member
Last week I followed the Portishead route by bike. I'm not familiar with the Bristol area at all but it looks like the track bed had been cleared of weeds. I don't know the name of the station but I'm sure someone does.

The Portishead route would be a lovely scenic line should it ever re-open.

Attachments

• Bristol 2015 (33).jpg
    Bristol 2015 (33).jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Bristol 2015 (34).jpg
    Bristol 2015 (34).jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 202

fgwrich

Established Member
Last week I followed the Portishead route by bike. I'm not familiar with the Bristol area at all but it looks like the track bed had been cleared of weeds. I don't know the name of the station but I'm sure someone does.

The Portishead route would be a lovely scenic line should it ever re-open.

There's something almost rather Thomas the Tank-y about the first photo. I suspect most of those Silver Birches will be cleared within the next year or so.

Henbury Loop

Project now delayed.
http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Opening-...delayed-year/story-28570892-detail/story.html

THE long awaited opening of Portishead's defunct railway line could be delayed by up to a year – due to technical and construction issues.It had initially been hoped the three mile section of the line would be open in early 2019, but this could now be pushed back to early 2020.

The Portishead rail line opening is the first part of the MetroWest project which will see the town's branch line reinstated, a new station built in the town and the Pill station re-opened.

It is understood the delay in the Portishead scheme will not impact other MetroWest project improvements planned across the Bristol area.

The delay is being blamed on a number of technical, construction and access issues which have emerged as the project moves forward.

These include the work needed to the Pill tunnel as well as the fact that Network Rail will also have to change signalling around the Bristol area to cope with the impact of more trains.

The extent and detail of the issues are due to be revealed in a report which will be discussed by the West of England Partnership Joint Transport Board at the end of the month.

The hold-up also follows the publication of the Sir Peter Hendy report to scrutinise Network Rail's future projects across the UK.

Network Rail is investing in the biggest programme of railway modernisation since the Victorian era.

The Transport Secretary asked Sir Hendy to develop proposals for how the rail upgrade programme could be put on a realistic and sustainable footing.

All the implications of the report are not yet known.

Work on building a new station in Portishead to serve the railway was due to start next year.

It is not yet known whether that building work will go ahead as planned.

A Metrowest spokesman said: "The combined impact of the constructability issues and the Hendy report is pushing the opening date for MetroWest Phase 1 into late 2019 or the first half of 2020.

"This is a complex project.

" As the project progresses there are technical, construction access and construction issues that have emerged.

" The details will be available in a full report that is going to the Joint Transport Board on January 29.

The news comes at the same time as it was revealed that 95 per cent of people who took part in a consultation backed plans for the re-opening of the Portishead line.

The re-opening the Portishead branch line includes plans for a new Portishead railway station at Quays Avenue, the reopening of Pill railway station, the provision of new footbridges across the line and other work including double tracking through Pill.

The opening of the Portishead line is a key priority of the Metrowest Phase One project being pioneered and funded by the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and is expected to cost up to£58 million.

Passenger services from Portishead to Bristol were cut in 1964, although the line to Portbury Dock reopened in 2002 for freight trains only.

A study in 2010 showed that travel time from Portishead would be 17 minutes compared to an hour by road during peak times.

I want to know where they have got this info from.....

HSTFan57

There are plans to re-open the Portishead line to passenger traffic in 2020. I'm considering taking a job in Portishead, and it would be nice to commute by train in the future.

How likely is it that the line will actually re-open? Is there a risk that politics or other events could cause project to be seriously delayed or abandoned, or is it almost a certainty at this point?

pdeaves

Established Member
How likely is it that the line will actually re-open? Is there a risk that politics or other events could cause project to be seriously delayed or abandoned, or is it almost a certainty at this point?

Based on what I have heard from the project team, I think it highly unlikely that it won't reopen. Things could crop up and cause timescales to slip (as could happen on any big project), but it will reopen.

HowardGWR

Established Member
There are plans to re-open the Portishead line to passenger traffic in 2020. I'm considering taking a job in Portishead, and it would be nice to commute by train in the future.

Depends where you will be living. If in central Bristol, or a northern suburb, you will have a very pleasant journey in the morning under the Suspension bridge with the sun behind you to light up the colours in the Avon Gorge. It will also be spacious, as the commuter flow will be mainly the other direction*. The same will be the case on the return journey in the late afternoon / evening.

* I have wondered whether pax will come off the motorway and park and ride from Portishead. I have also wondered what will happen when the proposed P and R station near Avonmouth is built and opened. It could be that pax from the north will leave the M5 and use that existing P and R, whilst pax from the south will use Portishead. It could lead to the re-opening of Portbury (see photo earlier in thread) and perhaps a big car park constructed there. Actually there is already a huge one there that you see when crossing the M5 bridge and is mostly half full of import / export cars.

jimm

Established Member
Interestingly a new bridge which is being constructed over the current Portbury freight line has been increased in height at a significant cost to future proof the electrification of the Portishead branch.

https://travelwest.info/metrobus/metrobus-build/winterstoke

I doubt it has been "increased in height at a significant cost" - it will have been designed and costed from the word go to allow for possible installation of overhead wiring in the future, much as has been the case for new and replacement bridges all over the network for many years now.

tpm

I doubt it has been "increased in height at a significant cost" - it will have been designed and costed from the word go to allow for possible installation of overhead wiring in the future, much as has been the case for new and replacement bridges all over the network for many years now.

See WoE Joint Transport Board - 17 June 2016 Agenda and Papers (zip) - PDF document Item 8 - Major Transport Projects 17 Jun 2016, Appendix 3 "MetroBus Programme Exception Report" for more details:

* Network Rail issued plans in 2011 showing how MetroWest (dual track)
and MetroBus (skew bridge) could fit together, on behalf of the
promoting Authorities. This plan shows the MetroWest dual track, the
existing road level crossing, a design for the skew bridge and notes
horizontally clearances at various relevant points. The vertical
clearance of rail to (skew) bridge soffit is shown to be 5.1m. This plan
was done at GRIP2 stage of the MetroWest design and before Full
Approval stage for AVTM, so it remained a risk that the schemes would
change at detailed design stage and/or rail standards move on.

* AVTM MetroBus checked the vertical and horizontal clearance
requirement at various points in the design development including May
2015, each time receiving confirmation that 5.1m vertical clearance
was suitable. Other existing bridges in the area (owned by Network
Rail) are approx. 4.75m. AVTM design and construction programmes
progressed.

* During summer 2015 informal advice from Network Rail was that the
vertical clearance may be different because of future aspirations for
electrification combined with proximity of the Ashton Lane level crossing.

* In September 2015 a definitive statement was provided by Network
Rail that 7.2m clearance from rail to bridge soffit was one of a number
of conditions that AVTM MetroBus should meet to gain approval.

* AVTM MetroBus temporarily paused work on the near-ready skew
bridge design (that had been part-checked by Network Rail) and
resumed with the decision to base this on the previous horizontal
alignment and a vertical alignment allowing 7.3m from assumed rail to
skew bridge soffit.

* In parallel MetroWest design was progressed towards GRIP3 and the
conclusion of this process would allow a more definitive statement on
fit with AVTM MetroBus, largely based on horizontal alignment. The
draft MetroWest alignment design was ready in December 2015 and
final alignment design to seek scheme approvals was ready in
February 2016.

* Whenever further information from the MetroWest design process was
made available it was used to check the AVTM design. MetroWest and
Network Rail facilitated and participated in these reviews. This
contributed to enabling work on the AVTM skew bridge design and
procurement to avoid further delay. This approach was agreed and
approved by AVTM Project Board.

* Re-design and re-programming the construction of the revised AVTM
skew bridge design took a number of months and was submitted to
Network Rail for checking, permissions and approvals.

* The completed skew bridge design meets the Network Rail conditions
for vertical clearance, and other conditions in the technical clearance
commentary.

* Comparison and review of AVTM against the MetroWest designs by
the Network Rail team leading the design have also returned a no-
objection. Therefore the design fits with the requirements for
MetroWest in what is a very constrained area of the network.

* The cumulative impact of the above has been to move the completion
date of this section of AVTM MetroBus contract 1 from October 2016 to
end June 2017.

* The cost impact is being managed within the MetroBus programme.

I believe cost impact mentioned elsewhere was £1-2m, but I do not have a source for that at hand.

Henbury Loop

I'm sorry but that is not true.

A new bridge at Ashton Gate for the MetroBus will have to be increased in height - at a cost of at least £1million a metre.

The bus-only bridge has had to be increased in height in case the rail track between Portishead and Temple Meads is eventually electrified after the line starts taking passenger trains.

Preparatory work on the "Skew Bridge", which will take the new single deckers over the railway line which runs parallel to Winterstoke Road, has already begun.

When the bridge was originally designed, there was no talk about the prospects of the Portishead line being electrified.

But when the MetroBus designers realised that electrification was a possibility - albeit some years in the future - theytook the decision to redraw the plans so it could accommodate the overhead gantries for the electric cables.

The revised bridge is longer and two metres higher - and the cost has increased from £6million to between £8-9million.

Facts and figures:
+ Original cost of the bridge: expected to be around £6m

+ Cost of redesigned bridge: £8-9m

+ The overall length of the bridge and approach ramps is approximately 340m.

+ The reopened Portishead line will increase the Britain's passenger rail network by 10 miles and connect an extra 35,000 people to the railway network.

+ MetroBus is expected to carry more than 20,000 passengers each day – more than double the 7,500 passengers who daily use the Severn Beach railway line and more than 15 per cent of the 128,000 passengers who use First Group's buses in Bristol on an average weekday.

+ The number of passengers who will use MetroBus instead of travelling by car is forecast to be 2,000 per weekday and 600,000 per year.

These passenger numbers are for the first year only and would be expected to grow.

Estimates of initial passenger numbers often prove to be conservative, when the Cambridge Busway opened passenger numbers were 46 per cent higher than predicted.

The re-design has not altered the target date for this MetroBus route coming into use by the summer next year because other works - such as the new bridge at Bathurst Basin next to the Louisiana pub - will take longer.

Building work will start within the next couple of weeks and lead to road diversions in the area for several months.

A spokesperson for MetroBus said: "The bridge has been designed to allow MetroBus to cross the railway line without taking space from the road.

"The change in height is to ensure that the forthcoming Portishead railway line can be electrified in the future.

"The delay caused by the changes to the bridge will not impact on the start date of MetroBus services."

The spokesperson explained that the new Skew Bridge would mean MetroBuses will be able to avoid the busy Cumberland Basin which usually sees traffic grind to a halt at peak times.

Which roadworks will be in place while Skew Bridge is being built?
A slip road from Winterstoke Road to the Cumberland Basin will be closed to traffic while the Skew Bridge is under construction.

There will also be temporary traffic lights at the level crossing which gives access to the industrial estate off Winterstoke Road.

Construction will start with the piling of the bridge foundations, followed by building the approach ramps and the high bridge piers and abutments.

The bridge's beams will be lifted into place in autumn/winter 2016 which will be followed by the final construction of the bridge's deck.

Access to Ashton Vale Road industrial estate will be maintained during the construction works.

When the bridge is completed, the traffic light system at the level crossing junction will be upgraded.

Source: http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/new-metr...ight-cost-1m/story-29310704-detail/story.html

jimm

Established Member

Fair enough, though in the normal scheme of things, 5.1m clearance should have been fine for wiring purposes, but the mention of the nearby level crossing suggests to me that someone got worried due to the issues being experienced at Steventon on the GWML over getting wires high enough over a level crossing and then down low enough to go under a nearby bridge, and this prompted a rethink at this site.

And the first paragraph of the document quoted by tpm makes clear they were warned a long time ago that requirements could change as design work proceeded.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Looking at the Wikepedia article I do hope that the charmingly named Nightingale Valley Halt will be reopened :D

It is charmingly named! But sadly it was only open for 4 years, between 1928 and 1932. I can't see Ham Green Halt, Portbury or Clifton Bridge stations opened either. Ashton Gate may be more likely to open once the line is already up and running.

Henbury Loop

Disappointing news this morning.

Source: http://www.northsomersettimes.co.uk...west_project_soars_100m_over_budget_1_4922718

The first phase of the MetroWest project - which is being partially funded by North Somerset Council – would see trains run half-hourly between Portishead and Bristol with the existing railway station at Pill reopened. The project would also include improvements to the Severn Beach branch line service and upgrading stations and services between Bristol Temple Meads and Bath.

It was initially expected to cost £58million when it was first announced, but the Times reported in January the cost was likely to be ‘considerably more’. The total cost of implementing phase one is now believed to be between £145-175million and has been deemed unaffordable by the team implementing it.

At a press briefing in Bristol yesterday (Wednesday), representatives from North Somerset and MetroWest announced the project’s fate would be sealed at the next meeting of the West of England Joint Transport Board on March 17.

MetroWest and the council are now urging the board to approve splitting the project into three stages – the second of which (stage B) would see trains run to Portishead once an hour in 2021 – in an attempt to reduce costs. The first stage (A) would see improvements made to connections between Bristol and Bath and the Severn Beach branch line, while the third stage (C) would eventually see trains run to Portishead every half an hour as originally promised.

According to MetroWest, the project’s initial estimated cost of £58million has risen by so much because the full impact of works needed to run trains through Avon Gorge every half an hour had been underestimated. The organisation claims running trains at 50mph through the Gorge – which is needed for a half-hourly service – is more expensive and difficult to implement than running them at 30mph once an hour, as this is the speed currently in place along the existing Portbury freight line.

The council’s director of development and environment, David Carter, said: “The process we are suggesting and recommending is to look at stages A and B as they would significantly reduce the cost.

“We believe the work will be done and it will still be delivered in 2021, assuming the funding can be found.

“Stages A and B will still need to attract additional funding, but we believe there will be a significant reduction for A and B compared to C. However, until we have done the work, it is difficult to say exactly what that is.

“We are working with Network Rail and the Department for Transport to close that funding gap.”

For a full reaction to the announcement, pick up a copy of next week’s Times.

How could the project now be delivered?

MetroWest and North Somerset Council are advising the West of England’s Joint Transport Board to split the phase one project into three stages – A, B and C. If the board accepts their recommendation and appropriate funding is found, the stages will be progressed as follows:

A - Carrying out service improvements to the Severn Beach branch line and Bristol-Bath corridor.

B – Reopening the Portishead railway line to provide an hourly service between Portishead and Bristol Temple Meads, with trains running at 30mph.

C – Reopening the Portishead railway line to full capacity, meaning trains will run every half hour at 50mph.

Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Given the cost issues identified re raising the line speed for a half-hourly service, this is probably *good* news on balance - they've identified a way of getting the line open with reduced capacity rather than abandon the whole idea. If as expected the line is successful that will create the momentum to improve the service (and maybe even show that the demand is there to increase the capacity beyond the originally planned half-hourly service).

Status
Not open for further replies.