• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ash39's Trip Reports & Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
I didn't go on the tour, as I was meant to be working when it was booked! I'm sure I could've paid on the day, but I was happy enough to go into London anyway.

I never know which services or which end of the 700's are declassified so never risk it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not a bad day on the rails Ash. Mobile problems are a mare, makes you wonder how the hell we survived without one.
I would suggest getting yourself a powerbank off ebay. Think mine was only £8 including postage. Great to have if your out bashing units.
Sounded like a profitable day though.

noddy1878

Established Member
I echo what @47403 says regarding a powerbank! Life savers. You just need to remember to keep that charged too! :lol: Good day nonetheless.

ash39

Established Member
I've been meaning to purchase a power bank for some time, but it wouldn't have helped in this case anyway (other than being able to charge the work phone on the move after I collected it)

Until I get a new phone, I'll be taking both with me!

ash39

Established Member
My mate has been on at me for a while to update this thread. Totally tongue-in-cheek, nothing extraordinary to report, but we had a couple of small moves in October that I'll briefly write up.

Saturday 6th October, a very last minute decision was made to meet at Garforth for an afternoon of West Yorkshire Day Rover action. Garforth was the only choice as once again Northern were on strike and it was the only real option east of Leeds with a service after 6pm.

We took 158909 & 158816 the 'wrong' way, to East Garforth, for a quick change onto 158795 towards Leeds.

After waiting at Leeds for a while and scoping out what was around, my mate eventually spotted 185132 pull into platform 13. As it was one of my last two required 185's, we took it to Dewsbury, returning on 185112.

We decided to try our luck on the Harrogate line, which proved to be a good decision. 153317 was leading 155346 on the next departure, the latter being the final member of the class we both required. It was good to finally get it ticked off.

155346 Headingley 06/10/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

As an additional bonus, our return was formed of 150128 was leading 150104, both still in ex-First Great Western colours.

Northern had pretty much shut up shop for the day now, so we finished by taking 185144 to Huddersfield, to meet 185108 which took us all the way back to Garforth. 3 winners each on a strike day was better than expected.

Day summary:

158909 & 158816 GRF-EGF
158795 EGF-LDS
185132 LDS-DEW
185112 DEW-LDS
153317 & 155346 LDS-HDY
150128 & 150104 HDY-LDS
185144 LDS-HUD
185108 HUD-GRF

No new stations
3 new units: 1x 150, 1x 155, 1x 185
8 dud units: 1x 150, 1x 153, 3x 158, 3x 185

Day mileage: 74 miles

A week later, Saturday 13th October, we had been at a parkrun in the North East. Provided we could drive to Bishop Auckland and park in time, we could get a couple of awkward stations ticked off despite the Northern strike yet again meaning a reduced service.

We beat the sat nav and arrived at Bishop Auckland with a couple of minutes to spare. Winner 156451 was our unit to Heighington.

156451 Heighington 13/10/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

All seemed like a good plan. We had a comfortable +20 or so, nothing could go wrong. Unfortunately, we hadn't considered there may not be a shelter on the platform. There was a brand new shelter on the Darlington-bound platform, as can be seen in the photo above, but this was fenced off. We considered breaking and entering, before realising it didn't actually have a roof anyway!

We considered walking to Newton Aycliffe, but there wasn't enough time to make the train back. Nowhere to go in the local area either, although we did spot a handful of Scotrail Class 385 units sat outside the Hitachi factory in distance. We were out of options, so we spent the next 25 minutes being battered by the wind and rain. Yes, to add insult to injury the return was also delayed by 5 minutes...

On the plus side, it was another winner for me, 156471 leading 142094. The latter most definitely not a winner, the 7 mile journey back to Bishop Auckland putting it within touching distance of being my only pacer to cross the 100 mile mark. It currently sits on 98 miles...

Ouch on not having a shelter on a day where the weather was quite bad.

Quite bad....hammered it down, we weren’t expecting it at all so were dressed embarrassingly naively, at least I had something resembling a jacket though, unlike some....

alexf380

Established Member
A good couple of days there, Ash. The 13th really was an awful day weather wise, wasn't it! Well done on getting to within one of the 185s and clearing 155s, there aren't many of them but they seem to show up everywhere!

ash39

Established Member
Couple of rewarding days out there Ash. You don't need a coat in the North East, if it's persisting down, a long sleeved shirt will surely suffice.

It sounds crazy now, as three weeks later we appear to now be in full winter, but I was just in a t-shirt and jeans!!

A good couple of days there, Ash. The 13th really was an awful day weather wise, wasn't it! Well done on getting to within one of the 185s and clearing 155s, there aren't many of them but they seem to show up everywhere!

When I think how much time I've spent on West Yorkshire Day Rovers and suchlike over the past few years, it's mad that it took so long for me to get all seven of them. I don't think it helped that 346 was the first Arriva refurbs and spent about 15 months in Kilmarnock - probably explains why it was CumbrianSausag's last one as well.

North West 4-in-8 Rover – Thursday 1st November 2018

I didn't expect to get the chance to do another multi-day trip this year, but having recently moved jobs, I was left with 10 days holiday to use before the year end. I looked at a couple of ideas before settling on the North West Rover. My main objective being to track down my last three Newton Heath pacers, but also to try and push my station count from 473 to over the 500 mark. There's also a nostalgic element to this ticket for me, as it was a Freedom of the North West (as it was then called) which started me off recording my journeys, almost four years ago in December 2014.

I was questioning my enthusiasm for this trip, especially after waking up to grey skies and heavy rain. I headed to Garforth just after 0900, aiming for the 0947 service. By doing so, I saved myself the grand sum of 80p, the difference between peak and off peak day returns to Leeds!

Low mileage 142049 started off the trip, clearing 10 miles by the time we reached Leeds. The actual reason I chose this service was because it allowed 20 minutes or so to buy the rover, before catching a train to Morecambe via the Bentham Line, a new route for me. Following on nicely from my first move, another low mileage pacer and next-in-sequence 142050 was on this service.

It was cleared for 10 miles by Armley Junction, but I was on for the duration. My concerns about the weather turned out to be unfounded, as the sun came out nicely after Skipton. The journey went faster than expected, other than being far too hot on board, and I arrived at winner shack Morecambe feeling fairly fresh. I had been here many times with my mum as a youngster, so it was another station which bugged me and I wanted to officially tick off.

142050 Morecambe 01/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had half an hour before the solitary service of the day to Heysham, so I figured it'd be a good time to get some lunch. Fish and chips were tempting, in fact I'm pretty sure I've never visited Morecambe without eating fish and chips... but I went for a Morrisons salad instead.

I enjoyed most of it in peace in the platform shelter, before being joined by 3 local youths. They were exchanging stories about the girls they had recently slept with. I felt sorry for the girls in question, none of them came out with glowing reviews. Thankfully they weren't out shack-scratching, and had no intention of going to Heysham. I did, after having to convince the guard I wanted to go there and not to Lancaster. 142055 was doing the honours.

When looking at the timetable, I thought the timings were generous for this 4 mile trip, but no, it does actually take the full 15 minutes, an average speed of around 32mph! I also can't remember any other line I've used where the driver has to leave the train to operate the ground frame to access the branch!

I quickly jumped off for a photo at Heysham Port, as I doubt I'd ever come again...

142055 Heysham Port 01/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I was surprised how busy it was in both directions, I expected to be the only one on board. The line reminded me a little bit of the Cardiff Bay line, albeit longer. I stayed on board right the way back to Lancaster.

I had a +6 to get a Costa and decided to risk it. No worries in the end as my next train was delayed. Still awaiting my first winner of the day, I was foiled again as dud 390156 rolled in to take me up to Carlisle.

The train was only about a third loaded, but I couldn't find a table in any of the front four coaches so I had to make do with a disabled bay next to the vestibule. I needed phone charge as always, and only the tables have sockets, surely something that'll have to be addressed when they have a mid life refurbishment.

I arrived at Carlisle in plenty of time to make the 1505 ScotRail service to Glasgow, which provided my first winner of the day, 156435.

The rover is valid on this service as far as Dumfries, but there was a +6 available at Gretna Green so I took that instead.

156435 Gretna Green 01/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Another winner, 156437, returned me to Carlisle.

I decided that, given my aims for the trip, I should probably head back towards Manchester and have a look for my elusive 142’s. I do enjoy the scenery on the WCML north of Preston, so it was worth using a few hours heading up and down even if it essentially only got me a couple of 156’s and Gretna Green!

An 8-car TPE was about to arrive, and I was hoping for 350401 – the only member of the sub class under 10 miles. In fact it sits on a pathetic 1 mile, from two trips between Manchester Piccadilly and Oxford Road. Not today, 350408 and 350402 were the pair. I boarded, seeing as 408 was my second lowest mileage. More importantly, being an 8-car set meant I got a seat!

I stayed on to Oxenholme, as there was a Virgin service following shortly behind.

350402 Oxenholme 01/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Out of luck again, 390138, dud from a Preston-Glasgow trip in 2013, was next. I had one last shot at a winner, so again I just stayed on for the one stop, to Lancaster.

No time to nip out for anything substantial for tea, but I picked up some Polo mints and a bottle of water from the shop on platform 3. I briefly ponder a career change as a nutritionist.

Finally, a winner. 390148 did the honours to Preston.

390148 Lancaster 01/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I joined what initially looked like a lightly loaded 156463, boarding by one of the middle set of doors. Usually, the end furthest from the footbridge is quietest, but that theory failed me on this occasion and rather than sit at an aisle seat, I stood in the front vestibule. By the time we left 5 minutes or so later, it was fully wedged and I had two drunk Polish girls with Primark bags for company. I have no idea what was being said, but they kept giggling for some reason...

I looked for options to break up the journey, but in the end I stated put and got a seat at Chorley. I eventually left at Salford Crescent, which looked quite different from the last time I was there with the new overhead wires.

The next trains were heading non-stop to Bolton. I decided I'd be best continuing to Victoria, and did so on 142014.

66753 came through on a Drax-Liverpool biomass train, but there wasn't much to go at in terms of services. I lost patience pretty quickly, it'd been a while since I'd done a full day trip and even longer since I'd done one in the cold and dark, so when low mileage 185134 turned up on a fast service to Leeds, and it was quiet, I got on.

It was another low miler, 185128, for the last leg of the journey to Garforth, leaving just a handful on less than 10 miles, and 185146 still required outright.

Despite the fairly low returns, I enjoyed the day a lot more than expected.

Day summary:

142049 GRF-LDS
142050 LDS-MCM
142055 MCM-HHB
142055 HHB-LAN
390156 LAN-CAR
156435 CAR-GEA
GEA-CAR
350408 & 350402 CAR-OXN
390138 OXN-LAN
390148 LAN-PRE
156463 PRE-SLD
142014 SLD-MCV
185134 MCV-LDS
185128 LDS-GRF

3 new stations: Gretna Green, Heysham Port, Morecambe
4 new units: 3x 156, 1x 390
11 dud units: 5x 142, 2x 185, 2x 350, 2x 390

Day mileage: 353 miles

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
A good day out there Ash. I know what you mean about the motivation at this time of year. It's my first time doing winter spotting (I never really did it as a kid, it was always a spring/summer hobby) and the 0530 alarm call for my last outing was a tough one and I experienced the slow start, weather-wise, on the 1st before enjoying some relatively warm sunshine for the rest of the day.

Maybe winter is for gaining haulage instead of spotting as at least you can keep you body temperature up by hopping around and spending time on trains instead of spending long hours at the end of a platform

Established Member
A good and varied day there Ash. A few winners added to the notes at least.

I used to go to Morecambe as a kid too, mainly because we have family who live there and my mother was born there too.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
When looking at the timetable, I thought the timings were generous for this 4 mile trip, but no, it does actually take the full 15 minutes, an average speed of around 32mph! I also can't remember any other line I've used where the driver has to leave the train to operate the ground frame to access the branch!

Have you done Helsby to Ellesmere Port? That is a spooky journey.

ash39

Established Member
North West 4-in-8 Rover – Friday 2nd November 2018

Much the same as on the previous day, I started from Garforth, this time slightly earlier, on the 0915 Northern service which was formed of 158756. Just before my train arrived, a real mash up of units came through on a Selby service. 153370 in GWR green, 153305 in plain white and 150106 in ex-First Great Western blue made a compelling sight on a Northern service.

153370 Garforth 02/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had time at Leeds before my intended train towards Manchester, where I was heading for to have another crack at the pacer hunt. I'd asked for gen on the last three, so before heading west I checked for a response. I was not in luck, all three were working east of the Pennines. One of them, 142043, was actually in Leeds station about to leave on a Sheffield service. I quickly made my way over and joined 142043 and 144003 for a short run to Outwood.

It should have been a zero connection, but thanks to a 5-minute delay to the return service, I was soon on my way back on board 321901. Another result, as that cleared all the Northern 321/322 fleet for 10 miles.

Now I was heading west, although I had no real plan for the day at this point. At least I now knew there’d be no point hanging around Manchester looking for the 142’s. I had a bit of time before the next TPE service, so I got myself an eggnog latte from Starbucks - Christmas is coming!

Got myself a seat in the ballroom of 185139 for the run to Manchester Victoria. In hindsight it was a long time to be sat sideways, I should have tried to get a seat somewhere amongst the hoards of people in the rest of the train.

I decided to get a couple of shacks on the Manchester-Liverpool via Warrington Central line, so I took 185147 round the curve to Oxford Road.

After grabbing some uninspiring lunch from Sainsbury's over the road, I boarded a very shiny winner 150123 to winner shack Padgate.

150123 Padgate 02/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

A short wait here before 142040 & 142009 took me back the other way to Flixton.

142009 Flixton 02/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Flixton does have a footbridge, but it's was locked off to the public. It didn't look to be in too bad condition - I'm sure I've crossed worse...

I had around 10 minutes to kill here, before 150223 took me to Warrington Central.

150223 Warrington Central 02/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I walked to Warrington Bank Quay. I think it's possibly the third or fourth time I'd done this walk, and the first time I'd not managed to get somehow lost on the way. I'd planned to catch a Pendolino north, but 390049 was fully wedged when it arrived. I actually boarded but thought better of it and jumped back off, as there was another one following.

I doubted whether I'd done the right thing, especially as 390049 was a winner. Unfortunately, a terrible announcement then came over the PA. 'The next service on platform 3 is a 5-car Voyager, please make your way towards the middle of the platform'. When it arrived, it was busy but not as bad as the Pendolino had been, so I begrudgingly boarded.

I managed to get a window seat at Wigan, so stayed on board. I hadn't realised that, unlike the Pendolinos, the Voyagers have sockets at airline seats, so I stuck phone on charge as it was on fumes, and settled in for a long run to Carlisle.

We left Warrington around 5 minutes late, and despite the train manager announcing he expected the delay to be recovered by the time the service arrived in Glasgow, we slipped further and further behind schedule. I had my eye on getting Penrith, but the connection was now very tight.

I got by the doors ready to leave at Carlisle. Handily, the carriage number was displayed above the door so I managed to ID the set as winner 221116. A few seconds saved, I got ready to dash over the footbridge, as the southbound service was already pulling into the platform.

It was another winner, and despite over half the fleet now being in the newer, less attractive white livery, this unit continued my streak of only having original liveried ones on this trip. 390152 was the unit in question. Next stop, winner shack Penrith.

I quickly used the facilities here (very clean!), before making my way over the footbridge to join another winner, 390114.

390114 Penrith 02/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I figured it would be rude to do a North West Rover and not involve at least a bit of loco haulage. To that end, I joined dud 156483 for a short ride to Dalston. After a few minutes' wait, the unmistakable rumble of a class 37 could be heard in the distance. Winner 37409 Lord Hinton was my first loco of the trip, and I even got the front table seat in the lead coach - nearly always occupied by a group of bashers whenever I've previously used these sets.

Unfortunately, as we were more or less on time and leaf fall season was in full swing, it was a very gently-does-it departure from Dalston. There were, as always, enthusiasts at the front vestibule. One of them had the same plan as me to dash over for the southbound TPE service which was due shortly after we arrived. It wasn't the end of the world if I missed it, so I made sure I got a photo first. Could well be my last ever 37 haulage on the main line.

37409 Carlisle 02/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

As it happened, I made it onto 350405 anyway. It was fairly busy, and I felt a plan forming. I noticed this service also called at Penrith, along with the following Virgin service 15 minutes later. McDonald's isn't a place I regularly frequent, but I'd seen an advert for a Brazilian themed burger of some description on TV and fancied one. As I'd seen a McDonald's right outside the entrance to the station, I figured that was my evening meal sorted.

I was worried 15 minutes might not be enough time to get served and back to the station. In the end, the next service was delayed around 5 minutes and the service was so quick I actually managed to finish the meal on the platform before 390103's headlights appeared from the darkness to continue my journey south. The burger was alright but it confirmed my theory that you're always better off sticking to the trusty Big Mac/Quarter Pounder than falling for the marked up specials!

I stayed on this all the way to Preston, where due to the delay I now had a tight connection onto a Blackpool North-Manchester Airport service. I hurried over to platform 2 where it was due to leave from, to see a 158 sitting there. I didn't expect to see a 158 on this service, and the amount of people on the platform suggested the 158 was out of service.

It was, and a platform change was announced. 319382 rolled into platform 1. All seemed fine, I had a comfortable connection onto a Manchester Aiport-Middlesbrough train at Oxford Road, or I could even make Piccadilly for a better chance of a seat if the 319 didn't lose any more time.

Unfortunately, as I got closer I saw on RTT that a points failure had meant my train was now cancelled between the airport and Victoria, and was due to start from Victoria at 2017. I could make that with a brisk walk from Oxford Road, but we had an unscheduled wait at Deansgate which meant when the doors finally opened at Oxford Road it was 1957, leaving 20 minutes to do a 20 minute walk...

Being a Friday night, there were a fair few drunk people to navigate through, but I made it to Victoria with a good four minutes to spare. My efforts were in vain anyway, 185116 was sat in platform 2 but was shut down with no lights on. Despite a fairly large crowd of optimistic would-be passengers stood next to it, it was obvious this unit wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I thought I was being clever, and made my way over to platform 4 for a Liverpool-Scarborough service due in around 10 minutes time. Slowly, everyone else had the same idea and came to join me. I still got a seat when 185147 eventually arrived, and stuck the phone on charge (again).

Thanks to a delay which worked in my favour for the second time of the day, I made a Garforth train which should have left before I arrived at Leeds. 155343, in a very grimy and careworn state, made for a luxurious finalé to the day.

Day summary:

158756 GRF-LDS
142043 & 144003 LDS-OUT
321901 OUT-LDS
185139 LDS-MCV
185148 MCV-MCO
150123 MCO-PDG
142040 & 142009 PDG-FLI
150223 FLI-WAC
221116 WBQ-CAR
390152 CAR-PNR
PNR-CAR
156483 CAR-DLS
DLS-CAR
350405 CAR-PNR
390103 PNR-PRE
319382 PRE-MCO
185147 MCV-LDS
155343 LDS-GRF

4 new stations: Dalston, Flixton, Padgate, Penrith North Lakes
8 new units/locos: 1x 37, 1x 142, 1x 150, 1x 221, 1x 319, 3x 390
12 dud units: 2x 142, 1x 144, 1x 150, 1x 155, 1x 156, 1x 158, 3x 185, 1x 321, 1x 350

Day mileage: 436 miles

ash39

Established Member
Or Heysham Port & Gretna Green!

I could do a lot more in a shorter space of time if I had the patience to concentrate on one area. I enjoy mixing it up though.

For once I'm actually up to date - days 3 and 4 are to be tomorrow and Thursday. A long shot, but if any readers of this thread happen to spot 142023, 142067 or even 142088 (unlikely as it's Heaton based) in the north west over the next two days, please pop a reply in here!

ash39

Established Member
North West 4-in-8 Rover – Wednesday 7th November 2018

After a 4 day mid-rover hiatus, I was more than ready to get back amongst it. I didn't have a great start to the day. With the schools back open after half term, Garforth car park was completely full. This was half expected, but I hadn't realised the streets surrounding the station had been changed to permit parking only. I'd already missed my intended 0839 train anyway due to traffic, but did see it whilst navigating my way round Garforth car park. 185132 would have been my train, thankfully dud from around a month earlier otherwise that would have been a kick in the teeth!

Didn't really know where to head instead. Cross Gates has about 10 spaces for rail users, which I imagine you'd have to get up pretty early to secure. I also didn't know what time a service was due, but went ahead anyway and found some suitable street parking around 5 minutes walk from the station.

Checked my phone on the way and saw a slightly delayed TPE to Liverpool was due to call there in around a minutes’ time. I didn't think I'd make it, but there was a stopper due in 15 minutes so I didn't bother rushing. In the end I arrived just as 185128 was pulling in. Very cosy as you'd expect heading into Leeds at this time of morning, but I wedged myself into the ballroom and then got myself a seat at Leeds. Learning my lesson from last week, I also took the opportunity to get my phone topped up to 100%.

I left at Manchester Victoria. I had intelligence on my remaining pacers once again, and 142067 was only a short while away on a Southport-Leeds service. I used the time to get another eggnog latte, before taking a seat on platform 6 and waiting.

As hoped, 142022 leading 142067 produced. I took up a seat in the rear unit, initially planning to go to Smithy Bridge for a shack score. However, the +10 looked in doubt as the return service hadn't left Blackburn. Walsden was another option, but it involved a +25.

The Blackburn-Southport eventually left 20 minutes down, so I reverted to plan A. It would mean a bit of a fester at Smithy Bridge, but it would get me back towards Manchester sooner.

142067 Smithy Bridge 07/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I spent the time getting the report up to date. The time went quite quickly, and by the time the train arrived there were quite a few people waiting for it. 150115 was the unit, and thanks to the delay there was now a nice connection available at Swinton.

142051 took me back the other way to Salford Crescent.

Yet again I had no plan, so when very low mileage 142045 turned up heading towards Wigan, I jumped on.

I tried to formulate some kind of plan whilst on board. I decided Horwich Parkway looked like a good place to get some lunch. Unfortunately, I lost my train of thought (pun intended) and made a bit of an error. It was only when we arrived at Westhoughton that I realised I was on the wrong train, I meant to change at Bolton for a following service!

None of the stations on this route to Wigan were required, apart from Ince which is limited stop, so I stayed on to Wigan North Western and picked up lunch from Greggs instead.

My chicken bake went down a treat in the waiting room at Wigan North Western. One of the best waiting rooms I've used on the network – not only was it warm but it had stools offering a view of the passing trains and plug sockets!

I didn't hang around long though – the next northbound Virgin service was winner 390128, so I took it to Preston.

I made my way over to platform 1 to meet winner 319386, which actually left Wigan before I did and we overtook it en route. This took me to Poulton-le-Fylde, somewhere I'd not passed through for many years.

319386 Poulton-le-Fylde 07/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

A nice well kept station, with an impeccable lawn on the platform which I remembered seeing as a kid! It was raining heavily now, and suddenly the thoughts I had about walking from Blackpool South to North, or doing a +20 at Kirkham and Wesham, started to seem like bad ideas.

Dud from last Friday, 319382 took me back the other way. I thought better of doing any walks, and switched tactics, staying on right the way down to St Helens Central. I was in the motor coach for this one, which was making some interesting noises as it slipped and slid its way out of every station stop.

319382 St Helens Central 07/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I was now in a good spot to boost my 319 numbers, plus pick up some stations in the Merseyrail area. Following behind me was winner 319370, which I rode on to the source of the M62, Broad Green.

I then leapt one stop the other way on 319366 to Roby.

319366 Roby 07/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Another pretty station, with a well kept house practically on the platform. I imagine the occupiers are fed up of the whine of 319 traction motors, though.

Quite the winning streak I was building up. It continued further still, as 319363 was next up. I took this to Wavertree Technology Park, which was one of those stations that really bugged me as I visited in 2014, just before I started properly recording my travels. Glad to rectify it.

I already had Huyton from a previous trip, but rather than wait at Wavertree it made sense to keep moving. Especially as it bagged me another winner – 319384.

I was fully expecting to start seeing repeats at this stage, but no, I boarded 319362 to Liverpool Lime Steeet. Bit of an odd unit this one. Looks like it received ‘old' Northern purple seat covers, but they gave up when they got to the last third of a coach, which still had old First Capital Connect moquette!

Once again, my phone was running on empty. I had my work phone as backup but as I wanted a break and a coffee anyway, I headed out to Starbucks for some caffeine and electricity.

I realised whilst there that there actually wasn't many options for moves out of Liverpool, without retracing my steps from the past couple of hours. It was now 1700 and the skies were dark, so there wasn't much point in heading anywhere else, so I picked out the 1726 to Newcastle to start my journey home.

It was 185143, and it was busy as you'd expect at this time of day. I stood to Newton-le-Willows before getting a seat. Again, the ballroom was my location. In fact I've almost given up trying to get a normal seat on these things at anything other than the quietest times.

I didn't fancy doing this all the way to Leeds, so bailed at Manchester Victoria for a Northern stopper all the way back to Cross Gates, formed of 158752.

Day summary:

185128 CRG-MCV
142022 & 142067 MCV-SMB
150115 SMB-SNN
142051 SNN-SLD
142045 SLD-WGN
390128 WGN-PRE
319386 PRE-PFY
319382 PFY-SNH
SNH-BGE
BGE-ROB
319363 ROB-WAV
319384 WAV-HUY
319362 HUY-LIV
185143 LIV-MCV
158752 MCV-CRG

7 new stations: Broad Green, Poulton-le-Fylde, Roby, Smithy Bridge, St Helens Central, Swinton, Wavertree Technology Park
8 new units: 1x 142, 6x 319, 1x 390
8 dud units: 3x 142, 1x 150, 1x 158, 2x 185, 1x 319

Day mileage: 274 miles

ash39

Established Member
Three remain, annoyingly they are spread far and wide. 142023 'supposedly' Newton Heath allocated, 142080 is Cardiff based and 142088 is a Heaton unit.

Obviously it's a pointless pursuit anyway, as I'll never get the two scrapped ones!!

Established Member
Two good days there Ash, plenty winners in there too. Bit of a 319 fest, you had there, nice of them to keep offering themselves up to you. Doesn't happen too often but it's nice when stuff falls like that.
Good pic of 37409 too, it's looking resplendent in large logo. You can't do a North West Ranger without sampling the Cumbrian Coast 37s. Well, I couldn't.
Dont worry about the HT bouncing bomb(142) you need, it's as likely to be seen in Leeds, as it is in Newcastle. Having seen at least 1 HT variant, practically everywhere in Northern territory, I've been to.
Great read Ash, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
That was a good day, much 319s to be hand and I may steal a few moves off you.
Time is ticking for the Pacers, though, and you're doing much better than I am!

PeterY

Established Member
It sounds like you had a good time.
I enjoyed my trip along the Bentham line.
I've yet to do Heysham port.

ash39

Established Member
North West 4-in-8 Rover – Thursday 8th November 2018

The last day was here already. Having learnt from the previous day, I drove straight to Cross Gates this time. It was like groundhog day as 185128 was once again on the 0857 to Liverpool Lime Street.

I was savvier than the previous day, and rather than head for the ballroom for another hour long sideways journey, I went for the middle coach and waited for it to empty out at Leeds, where I got myself a nice, forward facing seat for the onward journey!

I figured my last Newton Heath pacer, 142023, would most likely still be up in the north east as it was the previous day, so I had put together a plan for the day the previous evening. The service I was on was only 1 minute down at Cross Gates this morning, an improvement on yesterday. I did allow a bit of slack in my planning as delays had been a frequent occurrence on this trip.

So, it was no surprise when we ground to a halt at Ravensthorpe station. We sat for almost 10 minutes, putting my +12 at Manchester Victoria into jeopardy straight away.

We didn't make up any time, and arrived at 10:03:30, which gave me a 90 second window to get from platform 3 to 5. Which was just enough, as it turned out!

150146 was my unit to Horwich Parkway, second time lucky for visiting this station after yesterdays failure! 142052 was on the front.

I was meant to have a 25 minute wait here, which I was going to use to have a walk round the football stadium. However, a delay actually worked in my favour on this occasion. The platform display was telling me there was a delayed Preston service only 2 minutes behind!

It was formed of double duds 156459 and 158909.

156459 Horwich Parkway 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I think I actually saw the same pair in the distance when heading towards Salford Crescent, this pair having come from the Oxford Road side. Just when I was thinking if there was anything I could do with my extra time at Preston – we were held for 10 minutes outside Buckshaw Parkway for the stopper to vacate the platform and turn back to Manchester!

I was still ahead of time slightly by the time I left the train at Preston, so I continued the trend of the trip so far and picked up an eggnog latte from the new Starbucks kiosk next to platform 4.

My plan from here was to take a train to Blackpool South and walk down the promenade to Blackpool North. Unfortunately, the Blackpool South was showing as delayed, so rather than miss out altogether I jumped on 390008. I expected this train to be quiet, and it was. I think there was only one other passenger sharing coach B with me! When leaving the train, I tried to bin my coffee cup but the bin lid was so heavily sprung that it flung the cup at said passenger, who was standing by the door ready to leave. I then had to fumble around his feet to pick it up and bin it. Not my proudest moment!

I wasn't too disappointed in the end about missing out on Blackpool South, as once again it was raining. At least Blackpool North, another of those 'visited before I recorded moves' stations, could be ticked off.

390008 Blackpool North 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had considered heading out for some chips, as no chips had featured so far on this trip. That absolutely had to be rectified, but I forgot how grim Blackpool North is. As there was a delayed arrival from Liverpool due any minute, I decided to get straight back out of there.

319363, dud from yesterday but required for 10 miles, was an acceptable result. It was also noteworthy as it was my seventh unit of the day, all of which had been different types.

I hadn't forgotten the chips. Euxton Balshaw Lane was not only a winner shack, but it had a highly rated chippy a 5 minute walk from the station. Usually this station is a half hour fester regardless of which direction you come from. Today, with the 5 minute delay, it gave me 25 minutes to nip out for the food.

All went to plan, the fish was cooked to order but I still had a good 10 minutes to spare when I arrived back at the platform. Another low mileage dud from yesterday, 319370, took me back north to Preston.

The fish and chips were the best I'd had for a long time, the ratings weren't wrong! Once again I was in the 319 motor coach, the amount of wheelslip on almost every journey I've been on has been unbelievable. They must be a nightmare to drive at this time of year. Quite fun as a passenger though.

I had headed back to Preston as I had my eye on a Barrow-Edge Hill move that I'd seen on RTT. I was hoping it's be a Class 195 on test, but even better, it was a pair. 195105 and 195103 looked very smart passing through non-stop, especially lined up next to a 156, 150 and 142!

195103 & 142001 Preston 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

At this point I also got a text from the wife saying she was no longer going out in the evening, so I didn't have to be back for the kids as planned, giving me a few more hours to use.

I seemed to only be getting winners on Virgin today, so I embraced it and went to join the next northbound Pendolino. It was dud 390043, but winner 390134 was going south, so I took it to Wigan.

I'd spotted some more station scoring possibilities on RTT. I walked over to Wigan Walgate, originally planning to head towards Southport, but instead took a service towards Manchester. 150205 and 150111 arrived, and I hopped aboard tired looking 111. It was difficult to tell if the interior was deliberately dark beige or just dirty.

I bailed at Daisy Hill, as there was a Kirkby-Manchester Victoria service following shortly behind.

150111 Daisy Hill 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The Kirkby trains stop at all stations, which meant I could get one of the more awkward ones done. 142048 took me the short distance to Hag Fold.

142048 Hag Fold 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

This should have been a reasonable +13 connection, but I noticed the return working was 7 minutes down at Salford Crescent. Rather than sit and wait, I saw there was a Leeds-Southport service I could meet at Atherton if I got my skates on. I had around 20 minutes to walk just over a mile, which was comfortable enough.

It took just under 15 minutes in the end. As an added bonus, I actually beat the train I was planning to wait for at Hag Fold. 150223 & 142044 were on this one.

150223 Atherton 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The first station stop on the Wigan-Kirkby line, Pemberton, usually has a nice connection. I had this lined up, but as we were running late, it was down to around a +1. I didn't fancy an hour there if it went wrong, so I played it safe and bailed back at Wigan Wallgate.

I'd spent enough time pootling around Wigan, so made my way back over to North Western station. Some lads had clearly made the most of an early finish and got straight on the juice, stood outside a pub singing Don't Look Back In Anger at full whack. It was 3:30pm!

Here I made the same error I made on day 2, failing to check that my Pendolino wasn't a Voyager. Once again it was a single unit too, but 221110 was required so I took it to Lancaster. As always, my phone was ready for some fuel, so the charging point was useful.

221110 Lancaster 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I'd come up to Lancaster again as I like the station, but also it seemed a shame not to get Bare Lane and clear the Lancaster to Morecambe/Heysham branch whilst I was on a North West Rover. I joined what appeared to be a full school's worth of kids on 142021 and 153317. I'd heard some mutterings between Northern staff on the platform about ‘informing control’. It seemed like there was an issue with the 153. Sure enough, it was then detached and all the other kids who'd taken up residence in the 153 then poured into the already busy 142. It was now 10 minutes past departure time, and not being certain when it would leave, I gave up and got back off.

As I made my way to a bench to decide an alternative plan, another required Pendo, 390009, rolled in heading south. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I was on my back to Preston again.

I do enjoy the run between Lancaster and Preston. There was just enough light left to see the cars on the adjacent M6 motorway, almost standing still relative to the 125mph train.

It was to be my final Pendolino of the trip, and my 27th in the book overall. Some good inroads had been made into them on this trip, almost reaching the halfway mark of the 56-strong fleet.

390009 Preston 08/11/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had planned my route home, fittingly finishing the same way I started. Firstly, I had enough time to nip to Costa in the shopping centre outside the station entrance for a coffee & snack for the long run home. I made my way back to board 158872 on a Barrow-in-Furness service for a final shack score at Carnforth.

Technically this couldn't go wrong. The service I aimed to catch had left Morecambe en-route to Leeds, and should have been just 5 minutes behind us on the same platform. It was a neat move, but I had a bad feeling about it from the start. Primarily as there was very little I could do if I got stuck at Carnforth other than wait it out and then head back via Manchester.

So, you can imagine my thoughts when the information screen on the platform changed to 'delayed'. It stayed like this for almost 10 minutes, though at least in this time a number of other people joined the platform. It's not a rough station in the sense that some suburban stations around major cities can be, but it has a very remote feel to it in the dark. I felt happier knowing I was at least potentially stranded with others!

I could see on RTT that it had made it to Lancaster, but then got no further. Mercifully, it eventually was on its way and arrived around 10 late. 142021 had been reunited with 153317. Given the issues earlier, I wondered whether it would make it to Leeds or not. I took a seat in the dodgy 153 anyway, purely for the jointed track on the Bentham line (sounds better on stock with bogies).

The fun wasn't over yet though. We lost more and more time, eventually arriving at Shipley 20 late. My connection at Leeds onto the Cross Gates train was now around a zero, and it was an hour for the next one.

A good run into Leeds gave me 90 seeconds to make it from platform 5 all the way up to 9D. I didn't get off to a great start as I managed to stand on my shoelace and untie it, so quickly retied it. Banged my head on a handrail when standing up, almost concussing myself. I then got almost as far as the footbridge at the east end of the station, when I heard a whistle followed by the sound of a DMU revving itself away. I couldn't see what, as it was blocked by an LNER HST.

I turned round, annoyed and slightly dizzy from banging my head. I text my mate who I'd been speaking to on messenger to say I'd missed it, to which he replied 'it's still there'! He was watching on the signalling diagrams and it hadn't left, it was a TPE service I'd heard leaving!

I turned around again, and sure enough when I got over the footbridge 158752 was sat there waiting to go. I just got on in time, completing the trip in somewhat clumsy but quite amusing fashion. Again, this was the same unit I'd had on the same service the previous day.

A good trip overall, but I did miss out on my last Newton Heath pacer, still needing 142023 along with Heaton based 142088 and Welsh 142080. I also didn't quite make 500 stations, having underestimated how difficult it would be in an area where I've now made significant progress. The current total sits at 493.

Day summary:

185128 CRG-MCV
142052 & 150148 MCV-HWI
156459 & 158909 HWI-PRE
390008 PRE-BPN
319363 BPN-EBA
319370 EBA-PRE
390134 PRE-WGN
150205 & 150111 WGW-DSY
142048 DSY-HGF
150223 & 142044 ATN-WGW
221110 WGN-LAN
390009 LAN-PRE
158872 PRE-CNF
142021 & 153317 CNF-LDS
158752 LDS-CRG

7 new stations: Atherton, Blackpool North, Carnforth, Daisy Hill, Euxton Balshaw Lane, Hag Fold, Horwich Parkway
4 new units: 1x 221, 3x 390
16 dud units: 4x 142, 4x 150, 1x 153, 1x 156, 3x 158, 1x 185, 2x 319

Day mileage: 308 miles

Overall new stations visited: 21
Overall winners: 24
Overall mileage: 1373 miles

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Well it was a very clumsy finish, but something that I almost certainly would end up doing! :lol: A very good read nonetheless.

:lol::lol::lol:

One of those days I think, I didn't sleep well the night before and after 4 days in 8 travelling, I think it caught up with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.