• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ash39's Trip Reports & Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
Great stuff.
I've stolen a few ideas for next year :p

That's always good to hear, I've nicked plenty of ideas off people over the years so it's good to give something back :smile:

Forgive me as this is a bit of a lengthy one, it’s been a fair while since my last update!

Monday 3rd December I had a short notice work trip to the capital. 91130 pushed me there on the 0630 service from York, becoming my third highest mileage 91 in the process, now on 561 miles.

91130 London Kings Cross 03/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had to be in Fulham for 10am, so rather than take the tube all the way, I looked for a more interesting route. I took a short tube journey to Victoria, then jumped on double winners 377426 & 377422 to Clapham Junction.

I was planning to walk to my meeting from Wandsworth Town as it was a required station, but as I was still ahead of schedule I decided to sneak another one in too. 450563 & 450013 took me past Wandsworth to Putney, where a few minutes later 707029 & 707015 arrived to take me back to Wandsworth Town.

707015 Wandsworth Town 03/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

My first journey on a 707 was short and pretty forgetful, but 6 winners and 2 stations before work was a pretty good result.

I was booked on the 1800 service back north out of Kings Cross, but I was done in Fulham by 4pm, so I returned via Victoria once again. Imperial Wharf was a similar walking distance to Wandsworth Town, so I headed there. It wasn’t a required station, but the winner pairs I’d enjoyed in the morning continued into the evening. 377213 & 377203 were taken to Clapham Junction.

377113 & 377471 then took me into Victoria, followed by the tube back to Kings Cross, which was predictably rather busy at this time of day.

I knew my train was a HST, and as I was still after two LNER power cars, there was a very small chance of continuing the streak of double winners.

I wasn’t that lucky, but 43318 was on the front, which would do very nicely.

43318 London Kings Cross 03/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

43312 was on the rear, which was already very dud and would hit 680 miles on this run. It was non-stop to York and although it was quite busy, the unreserved seat next to me remained satisfyingly empty.

Day summary:

91130 YRK-KGX
377426 & 377422 VIC-CLJ
450563 & 450013 CLJ-PUT
& 707015 PUT-WNT
& 377203 IMW-CLJ
377113 & 377471 CLJ-VIC
43318 & 43312 KGX-YRK

2 new stations: Putney, Wandsworth Town
11 new units/power cars: 1x HST, 6x 377, 2x 450, 2x 707
2 dud locos/power cars: 1x HST, 1x 91
Day mileage: 387 miles

Another work trip then followed on Wednesday 12th December, this time to Swindon. I boarded a busy 1658 service from York to Kings Cross. Much like my journey the week before, it was busy but also non-stop to London, so once I knew the seat next to me wasn’t required I was able to spread out a bit. I started to ponder if anyone had ever accidentally boarded this train and ended up 188 miles away without being able to get off...

We were routed into platform 8, which was a first for me as far as I can remember. I got off to ID the loco, fairly low mileage 91128 was on the rear. 91108, 91110, 91121 & 91129 remain under 100 miles though, and would have been a better result.

91128 London Kings Cross 12/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Another first for me, I then used the tube with my rail ticket. I wasn’t sure if the ticket barriers would like it, but it worked both ways. I nearly made a novice error by boarding a Metropolitan Line service thinking it was a Circle Line, but realised my error and jumped off at Great Portland Street for a following service.

I was around 20 minutes early at Paddington for my 1948 service. I grabbed a meal deal from Boots (before later discovering I had an evening meal already paid for at the hotel…). As seems to be the case at all London termini, the platform was announced 5 minutes before departure time, causing a mass scrum for the train. Luckily for me, realtimetrains had indicated it would leave from platform 2, so I was in prime position!

800307 was my unit. I didn’t walk beyond coach B where my reserved seat was located, but it appeared to be fully booked. A young chap sat next to me with a laptop and phone, talking about projects & accounts. I was more than ready to find him really irritating, but it turned out he worked in a similar profession to me and was quite interesting to hear what he was up to.

He then moved to a table at Reading, where the train emptied out by about 50%. This was new territory for me, I’d never travelled beyond Hayes & Harlington on the GWML. Not that I could see a great deal, as it was pitch black outside.

Fast forward to the next day, and a bit of an error on my part. Rather than book an anytime single, I tried to save my employer some money by opting for an advance on the 1900 Swindon to London service. It was a fair bit cheaper than the earlier ones, and I figured it would give me time to get a decent meal and not have to rush around.

Unfortunately, I was out of work a lot earlier than expected, and a colleague dropped me off at the station. It was only 1630. To make matters worse I wasn’t even particularly hungry, I took up residence in Costa for an hour or so before moving up to the platforms, which were freezing. I did get to see some comings and goings from the waiting room though. Frustratingly, some of the earlier services towards London were HST’s, which would have been nice. As mine was a 9-car ex-Cardiff, I was expecting another 800/3.

800306, eventually, took me to London. A lot quieter than my train the previous day, I took up a seat in the rearmost coach with around 4 other passengers. My mate was in London, and I passed him at Hayes & Harlington, as he boarded a pair of 378’s towards Paddington, where we planned to meet.

800306 London Paddington 13/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We both had the following day off work and had planned a day in Anglia. His car was at Elsetree & Borehamwood, but as it was only 8pm we still could sneak a couple of London moves in before heading to our lodgings for the night.

We took a tube to Swiss Cottage, and walked down the hill to winner shack South Hampstead. A bit of bad luck for my mate here, as a unit he had a couple of hours previously came back to haunt him. 378255 was a winner for me though.

378255 South Hampstead 17/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We went in to Euston, where we ran out of ideas and decided just to walk to St Pancras for a train directly back to the car. Many delays and cancellations were showing on the boards, and we had time to go south to Farrington on dud 700102 before meeting winner 700053 back the other way. More bad luck for my mate here as a ropey looking bloke sat next to him who looked like death personified, sniffing every few seconds and breathing like a horse.

Elsetree & Borehamwood was a required station. Not a bad little start, but the main event would be tomorrow. We drove to our hotel, a Holiday Inn just outside Ipswich, ready for the next morning.

Day summary:

800306 SWI-PAD
378255 SOH-EUS
700102 STP-ZFD
700053 ZFD-ELS

2 new stations: Elstree & Borehamwood, South Hampstead
3 new units: 1x 378, 1x 700, 1x 800
1 dud unit: 1x 700

Day mileage: 93 miles

Friday 14th December 2018 – Anglia Plus Day Ranger

We started the day by driving to Lowestoft station, where parking for the day was a fairly reasonable £6.10. We were early, as we’d planned to get a McDonald’s breakfast on the way. Ignoring the dozen or so in Ipswich, we expected there to be one as we got closer, but it turned out Stowmarket doesn’t have a McDonald’s…

Good job we were early, as the parking ticket machines were a bit of a farce. The first one wouldn’t accept my bank card, the second was cash only. Eventually, I managed to pay on my card on the third machine, right at the other end of the car park.

The ticket office was also having problems with money, they were unable to issue our rovers and instructed us to buy on board. We were obviously here for some Class 90 haulage, me being down to just two locos required (90005 & 90010). My mate required around half a dozen, but including the ones I also needed. We saw two sets pass whilst we waited, and made a note for later. 90009 & 90013 were no good to either of us, but it would help us know which diagrams to look out for later in the day.

Eventually our 0855 service arrived, practically empty. We waited until we left the train at Diss to ID the loco on the rear – 90006 was also no good for either of us…

We’d noticed the information boards were displaying an interesting caveat on the next London bound service. 'No wifi or buffet on this service’ suggested to me that it would likely be a 321 substituting for a loco hauled set.

The hunch proved to be correct, and whilst we were pleased to bag double winners 321302 & 321316, it meant one less Class 90 was in service. We took the 321 pairing to Ipswich.

321316 Ipswich 14/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We were both suffering with colds, so we went out to McDonald’s to purchase a McMuffin, seeing as we had failed on the journey to Stowmarket. We sat in and used a timetable we’d picked up at Diss to mark out the diagrams we’d seen so far, so we could avoid repeat locos. It was a neat plan, but we spent so long doing it that we were late back to the station in order to see the next one...

No big loss, as we would see it on the way back from Norwich, and still had plenty of time to get it later in the day if required. Instead of waiting for the next loco-hauled set to arrive from London, we took winner 170201 back to Stowmarket as a bonus move, as we could wait for the loco hauled service there.

Again though, we were out of luck - 90015 was already a high mileage loco for both of us. Good news though, as my mate managed to ID 90005 heading the other way at speed, so we knew that was out and made a plan to get it later in the day.

We had a longer wait at Diss this time, so made use of the station café. 90002 took us back to Ipswich.

We now had another gap to fill, as the next services were either ones we had seen earlier on their way back from London, or ones we had seen going to Norwich. Instead, we took winner 156412 on a Lowestoft service. Originally, we were aiming for Saxmundham, but instead we bailed two stops earlier at Melton.

We did this as there was a nice riverside walk back to Woodbridge, giving us an extra station. Due to some miscalculation on my part, I didn't realise the significance at the time, but Woodbridge was to become by 500th station visited in the UK.

It was around a half hour walk, giving us about 5 minutes to spare before 156417 arrived to take us back.

We could now meet 90005 at Ipswich, and it made sense to get it ticked off sooner rather than later. Knowing our luck it could fail or come off diagram for some reason later in the day, so we boarded for a run to Diss (once again).

90005 Diss 14/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

This move would see us coming back on 90013, - we knew this as we had seen it earlier in the day.

There was another gap now until the next diagram we hadn’t covered, so we took winner 156407 out on the Lowestoft line again. Originally aiming for Wickham Market for a safe connection, we ended up staying on until Saxmundham as the return was delayed, giving a safe +5 or so. There was a level crossing to negotiate but thankfully it opened between trains.

Dud 170205 took us back again.

170205 Saxmundham 14/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

By the time we arrived back at Ipswich the last of the daylight was just about gone. I had the chance to get my last Anglian 153, 153314, on a round trip to Felixstowe. As it was dark though, I declined the chance as I wanted to the line in daylight. Instead I decided to join my mate covering another couple of loco-hauled diagrams. We killed the time watching 70005 speeding up global warming in the yard.

70005 & 170204 Ipswich 14/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The move was productive for my mate, another round trip to Diss got him two winners, 90011 & 90012. Here’s a careworn looking 90011 seen earlier in the day.

90011 Ipswich 14/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We now had a exit plan for the rest of the day. We wanted to get the peak crowd-buster Norwich service, which was formed of a 12-car 321 last time I caught it. We waited in the waiting room as it was now getting a bit chilly, which was a bad idea as the service arrived around 5 minutes before departure time, so we missed the number of the front set and had to walk the length of the platform to ID it anyway! Ex-First Capital Connect/Great Northern 321410 was leading 321310 and dud 321346 on the rear. Just like the last time I caught this service in 2016, all three units were in different liveries...

We took them to Stowmarket, where we saw Freightliner 66593 pause for a crew change, just as we’d seen 66504 do around 10 hours earlier.

66593 Stowmarket 14/12/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

170201 took us back to Ipswich on our penultimate move of the day.

Our final move was a last roll of the dice for 90010. My mate had worked out a set runs from Crown Point to London Liverpool Street in the morning, then spends the day at Bounds Green depot before returning to form a Norwich service in the evening. He was correct, it was a set we hadn’t seen so far today, but unfortunately it was dud for both of us, 90004.

That was it for Anglia, but I still had to get back home as my mate was staying in Hertfordshire until the next day. I booked an LNER advance from Stevenage. As a bonus, Stevenage was a required station!

My mate dropped me off exactly an hour before my train, which was fine by me as I was hungry. I might have had a head cold but my appetite was still strong. I went to possibly the grubbiest KFC in the UK. After carefully stepping over all the discarded chips, packaging and straws that seemed to be strewn all over the floor, I found a table and ate my variety meal before waddling back to the station.

I was expecting a HST to turn up, but it didn’t sound like a HST approaching. Sure enough, 91102 roared out of the darkness. It was fairly busy, and I had to make do with a backwards seat in the half buffet coach, as my actual reserved seat was in non-existent coach G…

This was a Leeds service, so I had to change at Peterborough. The 20 minutes here went by quicker than I feared they would. It was busy for the time of night which helped, 66515, which we’d seen at Ipswich earlier in the day, stopped for a crew change with a northbound intermodal. GBRf 66753 also passed through with a rake of DB liveried wagons, not to mention various 700’s, 365’s & LNER services passing through too.

43318, required until a week ago, lead my final train of the day. 43290 would later be identified as the rear power car. I forgot this service was routed via Knottingley & Church Fenton, pretty much doubling the time it takes to travel from Doncaster to York.

Back at York, just the small matter of a 40-minute taxi queue stood between me and my bed, but I finally made it through the door at around 0130.

Day summary:

90006 SMK-DIS
321302 & 321316 DIS-IPS
170201 IPS-SMK
90015 SMK-DIS
90002 DIS-IPS
156412 IPS-MES
WDB-IPS
90005 IPS-DIS
90013 DIS-IPS
156407 IPS-SAX
170205 SAX-IPS
90011 IPS-DIS
90012 DIS-IPS
321410, 321310 & 321346 IPS-SMK
170201 SMK-IPS
90004 IPS-SMK
91102 SVG-PBO
43318 & 43290 PBO-YRK

4 new stations: Melton, Saxmundham, Stevenage, Woodbridge
9 new units/locos: 1x 90, 3x 156, 1x 170, 4x 321
13 dud units/locos/power cars: 2x HST, 7x 90, 1x 91, 2x 170, 1x 321

Day mileage: 463 miles

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That fella going back to Elstree was like the start of a Zombie apocalypse movie, amazed if he still lives.

And the 30min walk from Melton to Woodbridge should only be 25min if you hadn’t spent so long trying to find your way out the station. ;)

Here’s to utilising free fuel and sunny weather in Scotland on Friday.

ash39

Established Member
Happy new year to all followers of this thread. Maybe 2019 will be the year that it goes viral.

As CumbrianSausag touched upon a couple of posts ago, the last report wasn't to be the last of 2018. We had a day in the Strathclyde region on the 28th December.

Now, as it looked like Flickr had changed their policy on external image hosting, and all my images disappeared from this thread, I decided to do something I've wanted to do for a while and start writing my reports in pdf format. As they are primarily for my own memories, I want a timeless file format which will protect the content and not be liable to changes (such as the Flickr change!). Plus, some forums I used to frequent in my teenage years are no longer active so there's always the chance this place may not be here in 40 years...

However, I came back onto this thread to post the latest report and the images have returned. Whether it's permanent or not I don't know, but with the outrageous subscription fees Flickr are charging from next year, I would probably have made the change anyway.

The format will be fairly familiar to anyone who already reads these reports, but I've adopted a new system for highlighting. Stealing an idea from @alexf380 , I now use black bold for dud locos/units, and red bold for winners. Station scores are now shown in green bold.

I realise a lot of people won't want to bother downloading a pdf, but I'll continue to upload them for anyone who does.

Oh and if anyone knows how to make Google docs export a full page pdf, I'm all ears. The page breaks really mess up the flow. I found a plugin which can make the document a single page but then it won't allow you to export in pdf format.

Attachments

• 2018-12-28 RF Strathcylde Daytripper.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 61

Kite159

Veteran Member
Queen Street is temporary for the steps to the low level platforms, although if it does return to having separate barriers the quickest way is via the lift ;)

I suspect in the middle of December a double unit on that Oban/Mallaig is all that is needed, especially since when pairs work beyond Fort William it is local door only at all the stations

So what are the 1/2s about on your spreadsheet at the last page, plus the numbers in red next to the mileage?

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Queen Street is temporary for the steps to the low level platforms, although if it does return to having separate barriers the quickest way is via the lift ;)

I suspect in the middle of December a double unit on that Oban/Mallaig is all that is needed, especially since when pairs work beyond Fort William it is local door only at all the stations

So what are the 1/2s about on your spreadsheet at the last page, plus the numbers in red next to the mileage?

Thanks for the tip on Queen Street, could be useful in future Though I suspect our next Scottish pilgramige might involve a multi-day ticket... possibly as soon as April.

Ah yes I meant to explain that. The sheet has seen some modifications since I sent it to you last year! The spreadsheet now looks for, and counts, duplicate entries. So when a new unit or station is entered, a 1 appears and it shows green for easy identification. Any number other than 1 and it appears red for dud, and the number displayed is the number of previous haulages/station visits.

I should add, CumbrianSausag did all the formulas and I just shamelessly nicked it. It works a treat though.

The_Train

Established Member
Good read that Ash, and a very successful day out around the regions North of the border. Just out of interest I assume (from the order you've written them in) that 314213 was sandwiched between 204 and 212 at Yoker? I made a trip up there just before Xmas (with the sole purpose of grabbing these for sight) but made a complete hash of getting the numbers logged down

xotGD

Established Member
Good read that Ash, and a very successful day out around the regions North of the border. Just out of interest I assume (from the order you've written them in) that 314213 was sandwiched between 204 and 212 at Yoker? I made a trip up there just before Xmas (with the sole purpose of grabbing these for sight) but made a complete hash of getting the numbers logged down
When I saw that list of stored 314s I immediately thought that you'd be along at any moment to fudge them ;)

The_Train

Established Member
When I saw that list of stored 314s I immediately thought that you'd be along at any moment to fudge them ;)

Hahahaha that made me laugh. When I was typing that post, I did so with a shaky hand through fear of being branded a fudger :E:E:E

ash39

Established Member

Yes, that was the order they were dumped in!

Thanks for reading

ash39

Established Member
A very good read, and an interesting concept for getting around the whole flickr debacle. Welcome to the club of class 314 clearers!

Thank you, I left it quite late didn't I?!

And now 314212 is about to be scrapped.

Sad news. I only had a short run on 212 from Paisley to Bishopton in July. Mind you, it did a lot better than 314205 which is sat on 0.41 miles :oops: Definitely wouldn't mind another run on that one if I get chance before it meets the gas axe.

314212 Bishopton 05/07/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've got 4 members of the class below 10 miles (205, 206, 210 & 216) (5 including 314213), I could have pushed 314216 over the line as it's sat on 9.9 miles a couple weeks ago but it was working Paisley Canal services which would mean a trip down the slow branch & back (unless the next Glasgow service was running a couple minutes late to make a connection at Dumbreck.

ash39

Established Member
We looked at the Dumbreck move when trying to figure out how to get 211 in. A +1 if I remember rightly, with no footbridge!

I started catching up with your report thread the other day. It looks like we were in Glasgow on the same day.

Kite159

Veteran Member
We looked at the Dumbreck move when trying to figure out how to get 211 in. A +1 if I remember rightly, with no footbridge!

I started catching up with your report thread the other day. It looks like we were in Glasgow on the same day.

Dumbreck is pretty hard to make the connection unless one of the services are running late. Both times I've visited I've walked to/from Maxwell Park.

We might have crossed paths but I didn't arrive until around 19:20 on the Friday (where it was full steam ahead to the downstairs ticket office)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like the idea of converting reports into PDF files, I need to nick that for my world exploration series.

A thoroughly busy day in Glasgow there that's for sure. I've not commented for a while, but that applies to nearly every thread on here. However I am still enjoying the read when I read a new report, I love your style of writing. Not overly detailed, unlike mine. That said, I guess I pour lots of detail into mine as part of a way of keeping my fellow readers up to date with what's happening at Juliano HQ.

My next report should go live tomorrow evening all being well at techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com

Keep up the good work on your reports!

ash39

Established Member
The only problem with my pdf'd reports was finding a way to include the odd trips trips that don't come as part of a full day out.

I've decided to try switching to a monthly format. Whether or not it will work with larger trips remains to be seen but I'll give it a try for now. January was a quiet one, any ideas how to improve it are welcome.

Attachments

• January 2019 Blog.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That looks like a good way to do things for the mini trips, so I'd stick with it.

As for 142s, even I'm planning to have a farewell to Northern's 142s later this year. Nothing much of course, and I don't really care which one it ends up being or where to/from. It'll no doubt form part of an actual journey, which actually gives me an idea to combine multiple objectives. Most likely it'll get done in March, as I need to travel from either Winsford or Northwich to Leeds on 19th March.

As always, your reports have been an enjoyable read!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another pacer bites the dust, as well as scoring of one of the rarer platforms at Doncaster :) As well as getting another 90 into your book

ash39

Established Member
A very dry report this month, but March & April promise to be much more readable. For the sake of continuity at least, February's can be found attached!

Attachments

• February 2019 Blog.pdf
    353.4 KB · Views: 26

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not a bad result for a quiet month, and I assume work paid for the fares to Swindon so some free IET and 91 mileage? If so not bad!

Ouch to having to down your beer though, hopefully it wasn't too large a beer to consume! I had to down a half of a craft beer at London City Airport once, not the way I wanted to consume it!

ash39

Established Member
March is now ready for download - quite a lengthy one compared to Jan/Feb ! April will be longer still, as I've just returned from a day in Cardiff followed by a Freedom of South West Rover - a great trip which I may also upload separately in addition to including it in the April report.

Attachments

• March 2019 Blog.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 30

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks for an enjoyable read. I also get plenty of trips to London courtesy of work, but I stopped recording 91s for milage years ago. I pay more attention when there is a 90 on the front/back.

You might want to consider staying at the Marylebone Travelodge if you are doing a similar trip again - 30 seconds walk from the station and you can get breakfast from 7 o'clock!

I'm not sure about this canned craft beer lark - I'll choose a pint of cask ale off a hand pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.