• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashford International P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlippyFF

Whats going on with the Eurostar platforms? A metal fence has been erected dividing platforms 3 & 4, seems only 4 is in use.

Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
Resignalling work; it's so they can work while keeping the international zone sterile.
Is this the work to provide KVB or ETCS train protection for the routes through the international platforms, so the class 374s can call?

Do they need to do any platform edge alterations for this as well?

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
I take it that this for the installation of ECTS or whatever is needed to permit the Velaro to access Ashford?

contrad!ction

Is this the work to provide KVB or ETCS train protection for the routes through the international platforms, so the class 374s can call?

Do they need to do any platform edge alterations for this as well?

KVB.

The balises themselves were installed around the station/chords over Christmas, this is the final installation and testing for (apparently) an Easter commissioning date.

I think the line through P3/P4 was raised a while ago so the platform clearance issues were sorted.

flash

Its to sort out gauging issues... the work done several years ago was not sufficient. They are moving the coping stones back, by cutting the paving bricks in half and will also turn the tactile slabs as well. Quality workmanship at its best.

The KVB installation should have been done Christmas day / Boxing day, with the balises installed and covered over, testing to take place before E320s are planned to stop in Ashford from the Spring

Geogregor

Its to sort out gauging issues... the work done several years ago was not sufficient. They are moving the coping stones back, by cutting the paving bricks in half and will also turn the tactile slabs as well. Quality workmanship at its best.

The KVB installation should have been done Christmas day / Boxing day, with the balises installed and covered over, testing to take place before E320s are planned to stop in Ashford from the Spring

Yes, that's precisely what it is:
https://www.networkrailmediacentre....tional-platforms-for-new-international-trains

Work has begun to prepare Ashford International’s high-speed platforms for new international trains, including e320 Eurostar trains, which will safeguard direct high-speed international services from Ashford.

Network Rail is already installing new signalling equipment to allow Eurostar’s e320 trains - and potentially any other operator’s next generation high speed trains - to access the station. Now the firm’s engineers are updating the international platforms to match European-width trains.

The work is part of a £10m project being delivered by Network Rail and backed by Kent County Council and Ashford Borough Council, with funding coming from the South East Local Enterprise Partnership through the Local Growth Fund.

Network Rail’s senior commercial scheme sponsor, Mark Ellerby, said: “When Ashford International was rebuilt in the 1990s, the platforms used by international trains were not built to full European standards, because the Eurostars of that era ran on normal GB tracks.

“The work we are doing with new signalling equipment and the platforms will future-proof the town’s station and preserve its status as part of Europe’s high speed network – one of only four stations in the country to have that honour....

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurice3000

The e320 has been fairly common in Eurostar service for a while now, surely they already stop at Ashford International?

Is this to allow them to call at additional platforms or have I just completely missed that they don't call at Ashford International?

GW43125

Established Member
The e320 has been fairly common in Eurostar service for a while now, surely they already stop at Ashford International?

Is this to allow them to call at additional platforms or have I just completely missed that they don't call at Ashford International?

They just don't stop yet. The current signalling system is AWS/TPWS, which the 374s can't pick up.

InOban

Established Member
They have not been calling at Ashford International for the reasons given above.

MarkyT

Established Member
Eurostar trains on HS1 need to have low speed KVB active before transitioning to the high speed TVM430 control system. Just as at many French major stations, St Pancras International is conventionally signalled and equipped with KVB, because movements in the area are too slow to control effectively using the TVM430 equipment. There are special passive balises in KVB that mark the transition areas and help achieve the switchover to and from TVM430. I suspected they would use KVB through Ashford rather than ETCS which would be a more 'novel' and expensive interface to conventional UK signalling, and would require the trains to switch to ETCS and back for the short distance through the station. However on board such a modern train as the e320s I suspect the various legacy systems will be emulated by a native ETCS computer and HMI, adapted as neccessary using appropriate additional hard and software interface modules generically known known as STMs (specific transmission modules). The KVB balises themselves are very similar in basic technology and appearance to the standard Eurobalises, and in fact I believe they can be read by the same on board antenna as Eurobalises, so long as the onboard systems are configured to be able to emulate KVB, which of course the e320s must be for working at St Pancras, going to the depot near Stratford, and running in various locations throughout France.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Or used the crossovers at Westernhanger on the CTRL?

I can't imagine a 374 would have fitted at Westernhanger station
I was thinking that- perhaps that is what they meant. There's a pic on their twitter if anyone can confirm the location.

paul1609

Established Member
The pictures are all at Ashford international. I imagine if you wanted to test the signalling in to and out of Ashford the obvious turnaround at the country end is the crossovers at Westenhanger.

FlippyFF

It seems the class 374 is currently unable to call at Ashford.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/no-date-for-new-eurostar-trains-183003/

There's an embedded video in the URL above, the bit about the new signalling starts around the 1:00 mark - before that they're discussing the possibility of Maidstone East losing it's HS1 service.

I overheard a Southeastern driver say the other week that since the new signalling has been introduced for the Eurostars that the class 395s have had to depart Ashford slower than normal as the new signalling was causing an emergency brake application if they went at normal line speed.

Anyone know anymore?

Simon

Cletus

Established Member
Services from the south now slow down a long way outside Ashford than in the past.

Not sure if that’s of any relevance to this thread though?

KingJ

Eurostar have a bit more information on the impact of Ashford's signalling on their services here. Some services that were booked to call at Ashford are now skipping, with passengers needing to double back to/from Ebbsfleet at Eurostar's expense.

I'm supposed to be travelling back on one of the listed services, and when I called Eurostar to reschedule a different but strike-cancelled service, they confirmed that would be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.