• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asked to close window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Wallis

Overall, i do prefer it if the windows are taken out of the equation.

I was on an EMT 158 on my way up to Liverpool a couple of weeks ago and a poor guy appeared to have a Stroke*. He ended up falling into the isle and then throwing up everywhere.....ironically covering those who decided it would be appropriate to just ignore the poor chap.

The windows on these 158's are locked, so to help get rid of the smell of puke the Guard opened one with an Allen key.

The guy was removed from the train at Stockport.

A number of people who got on at Manchester asked if they could close the window (all were polite) but it needed to be locked stay closed and seemed to understand once the smell was pointed out to them.

It would have been an interesting scenario if the windows were of a different design.

[*I'm not a medical expert so can't say for certain he had a Stroke]
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's nothing like a class 365 on a hot summers day, storming down the fast lines on the ECML with all the windows open. A real wind in the hair job :D

It's when they go through the tunnels that the problems start for me....and was the cause of the issue I described in a previous post.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I don't mind if people ask me if I will close the window - because generally I will do so unless it's extremely warm or the carriage or bus is smelly

The one thing however that really annoys me is if people have just got on the train or bus and immediately close the window without even asking. I had an argument with a woman in her early 20s on the bus (on a particularly warm day) who had just boarded and slammed the window shut without even asking. I re-opened it and asked her quite politely to go and sit somewhere else if she was that bothered about the open window - especially as there were plenty of other seats available on board

She got up and complained to the driver as I was apparently being rude and it was too cold - the driver was extremely amused to say the least!

Parallel

Established Member
Overall, i do prefer it if the windows are taken out of the equation.

I think I agree with you. It can be difficult to find a happy medium between passengers, so if a guard believes that the aircon is not sufficient/functioning properly and the carriage needs ventilation, then so be it. FGW's 158s' aircon is extremely unreliable, and the windows are frequently open in summer. You get people who try and close them (they just fall open again.)

On the other hand, I don't understand why, when you're in a rammed baking hot 150 and all the windows are closed. You're sweating and you look around and see someone else in their winter coat!! :lol:

Last edited:

josh-j

Its guaranteed people will disagree on what temperature it should be because if depends if you've been moving recently, eaten recently, been stood around a platform for ages or sitting on the train for a while.

Therefore, the temperature should be some happy medium; people might not be completely happy but that's what clothes are for! :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
So on the dogbox (Class 153) home from Derby today, and get told to shut my window by an elderly lady, told her no as it was rather warm, and she threatened to get the guard involved...

The guard didn't turn up and eventually her and her friend moved away, there were 2 out of 14 windows open in our half of the 153, but what would have happened if she had complained to the guard, would I have been forced to shut my window?

Just out of interest were you travelling on the 15.52 from Derby up the Matlock branch?
Seeing as how Blighty be drowning in 'Coffin Dodgers' - oneself would have open more windows - if only to accelerate the 'passing process' :lol:

Looking forward to the day when you are struck down by a life threatening illness in that case :lol:
There's nothing like a class 365 on a hot summers day, storming down the fast lines on the ECML with all the windows open. A real wind in the hair job :D

Until you head into the tunnel at Welwyn and all the windows slam shut!

Mikey C

Established Member
All (or almost all) London double deckers, even ones without air cooling, have whacking great extractor fans at the back. They can be noisy, but do completely remove the condensation issue, allowing a better view out and stopping the bus stinking of mould etc. Well worth fitting; it's a shame they are only ever seen in London.

Most newer buses have air cooling rather than fans, but generally they're only turned on when it's warm, rather than when it's steamy...
Double glazing avoids steamed up windows, and double glazing is normal in Europe outside the UK and Ireland. The UK and Ireland don't even use double glazing on single decks in most cases. Having 2 axles on a double decker is cost cutting as you can't have double glazing because of the weight. Most places outside the UK and Ireland which use double decks have 3 axles, so you can have double glazing and air conditioning.

With the desire to cut weight, double glazing will definitely be a no no then! I wonder if pressure to use less fuel will affect standards elsewhere in Europe?

radamfi

Established Member
With the desire to cut weight, double glazing will definitely be a no no then! I wonder if pressure to use less fuel will affect standards elsewhere in Europe?

If anything, standards have improved, because air conditioning is becoming more commonplace in places where it never used to be. For example Rotterdam now has air conditioning in most buses and trams even though it has a British-like oceanic climate.

Mikey C

Established Member
If anything, standards have improved, because air conditioning is becoming more commonplace in places where it never used to be. For example Rotterdam now has air conditioning in most buses and trams even though it has a British-like oceanic climate.

The 378s having aircon was a step change in expectancy, the previous assumption being that aircon on trains serving urban stopping routes would be inefficient (the 376s being the only Electrostars not having aircon for example)

stut

Established Member

It does a great job of drowning out the ever present tss-tss of leaky headphones, chorus of text tones and jangles from little smashers playing games or watching Frozen on a tablet at full volume, too. I'll miss that when we get those awful looking 700s.

SS4

Established Member
I don't mind if people ask me if I will close the window - because generally I will do so unless it's extremely warm or the carriage or bus is smelly

The one thing however that really annoys me is if people have just got on the train or bus and immediately close the window without even asking. I had an argument with a woman in her early 20s on the bus (on a particularly warm day) who had just boarded and slammed the window shut without even asking. I re-opened it and asked her quite politely to go and sit somewhere else if she was that bothered about the open window - especially as there were plenty of other seats available on board

She got up and complained to the driver as I was apparently being rude and it was too cold - the driver was extremely amused to say the least!

I can just imagine the drivers reaction. He wants to tell her to sod off but customer service means he cannot

Trainfan344

Established Member
I can just imagine the drivers reaction. He wants to tell her to sod off but customer service means he cannot

Spent a afternoon with a driver who I knew, who let me on for free. When I boarded after he had come in with a bus full of older passengers, the first thing he asked me to do was to open the windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.