• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aslef strikes and OT ban called…

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
It amazes me that TFW are still running into New St on Sunday considering they will be the only operator alongside Crosscountry. With the German markets on, the volume of passengers between there and Wolverhampton could be dangerous. Normally they curtail at Wolverhampton but no mention this time.
Perhaps set down only at Wolverhampton and S+D?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davews

Last year's strike led me to having an extended break at my brother's from Dec 23rd to 28th due to no trains on the 24th or 27th. This year a potential family gathering near Marks Tey - currently planned Dec 24th to Dec 27th but return has RRB on the GA bit. I don't think I could extend this break so predicting a strike will wreck it entirely. Don't enjoy driving these days especially on the M25 carpark, never assume people will just jump in the car.

800 Driver

So if you were ASLEF, what tactically would you do to up the most pressure on the Government to make a sensible offer following the latest ballot results?

- Overtime ban from Monday 18th -Friday 22nd December with a National strike on Saturday 23rd December would certainly focus the minds of the Government?
- National strike on Saturday 16th and Saturday 23rd December?

Any better tactical suggestions?

From a tactical point of view, the current strike looks very cleverly put together.
None of these. I'd target the return to work in Jan

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
There is no public buy-in, despite some people trying to convince themselves otherwise.

What public support would that be?
Really. I mean I haven't spoken to thousands of people. But during the strikes I never once got any negative or bad responses. However everyone that wanted to talk to me about it said they supported us. Same thing on the picket line , not one single negative person and plenty saying they supported us.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is there any way to check what's running tomorrow or is it a case of turn up and see?

Most operators have thinned the service out to some extent. Journey check or their websites should be up to date although obviously any short notice sickness or disruption will not be so easy to cover.

Magdalen Road

It's making my working life miserable. It has directly lead to me cutting my hours because the overtime ban, strikes and continued terrible infrastructure (plus engineering works) means I have no idea how long my commute will take me or if I'll be able to get in. This also means my season ticket is even worse value.
Next week is a massive headache.

Krokodil

Established Member
It's making my working life miserable. It has directly lead to me cutting my hours because the overtime ban, strikes and continued terrible infrastructure (plus engineering works) means I have no idea how long my commute will take me or if I'll be able to get in. This also means my season ticket is even worse value.
Next week is a massive headache.
Well get in touch with your MP and point out that the government needs to make a sensible offer.

greyman42

Established Member
Really. I mean I haven't spoken to thousands of people. But during the strikes I never once got any negative or bad responses. However everyone that wanted to talk to me about it said they supported us. Same thing on the picket line , not one single negative person and plenty saying they supported us.
Were these people rail users?

Goldfish62

Established Member
None of these. I'd target the return to work in Jan
What return to work? People will just shrug their shoulders and work from home an extra day or two, just as they have been for the past 18 months.

And, just like the current action, it would have zero impact in respect of getting a better offer from the DfT / RDG which surely is the aim.

footprints

There's neither public anger nor support towards the strikes anymore. Just indifference. It's old news now and, much like the Government, most of the public couldn't care less.

Tom125

There's neither public anger nor support towards the strikes anymore. Just indifference. It's old news now and, much like the Government, most of the public couldn't care less.
I agree with the “indifference” that’s how I feel now, I used to support the strikes but it’s clear the Government (UK) isn’t going to budge so there is no way out- until a general election sweeps the decks.

I used to travel by train a fair bit but I drive everywhere now. Transport for Wales are beyond useless (and they don’t even strike) and every time I’ve needed to travel from Wales to London recently there has been some sort of issue with GWR- it’s just easier to take their car. I just feel sorry for people who don’t have the same options as I do.

dctraindriver

I’ve been sworn at by people passing by the picket a couple of times and criticised when leaving my train on work to rule days, I get their frustrations but I’m happy to continue until they drop the T&C change mantra for now.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
All any further strikes are going to do is lose money for those striking. Government has made it abundantly clear that it isn’t shifting. Waiting for the General Election is a gamble for ASLEF too.

I alsofind it baffling that almost every driver I know is sick of the strikes and wants them over yet voted to continue action.

dctraindriver

What return to work? People will just shrug their shoulders and work from home an extra day or two, just as they have been for the past 18 months.

And, just like the current action, it would have zero impact in respect of getting a better offer from the DfT / RDG which surely is the aim.
It’s only my experience but talking to a couple of friends on a day out recently, they’ve admitted to enjoying WFH but their respective companies are expecting them to be in the office a lot more now which they understand. I guess that will be replicated elsewhere and I don’t want to take this subject off topic.

All any further strikes are going to do is lose money for those striking. Government has made it abundantly clear that it isn’t shifting. Waiting for the General Election is a gamble for ASLEF too.

I alsofind it baffling that almost every driver I know is sick of the strikes and wants them over yet voted to continue action.
I find it baffling that someone whose been on the railway for years doesn’t get why.

chorleyjeff

There is no public buy-in, despite some people trying to convince themselves otherwise.

What public support would that be?
This morning TV "reported" offer of pay rise to average £65,000 for 40 hour 4 day week. The strike strike supporter said weekend working , working at Xmas ( Really? ) etc justified the salary. Ask paramedics, police officers and armed forces whether being on duty at weekends and holidays gets them £65,000. I don't hear much support for the strikes.

dk1

Veteran Member

I’m sick of the strikes but will not accept no pay offer or an attack on the terms and conditions of my employment. For that reason I like over 94% of my colleagues voted to continue with industrial action and will do the same again and again.

spark001uk

Established Member
I see most (maybe all?) the Cardiff-Penzance services today are only going as far west as plymouth and being turned there, I'm guessing this is because crew taking it right to Penzance and back would incur overtime?

Ashfordian6

Is your first point really true? As with the RMT staff, anyone wanting to make up for the lost day will just work a Rest Day and be better off in the wage packet at the end of the month by doing so. but having not worked any more days that month. Only those working every shift possible will lose out, but these must be the tiny minority, especially if accounts from drivers on here are accurate.

On the second point, are they not really sick that a sensible pay offer has not been made yet? I know I would feel this in their situation. This cannot be good for morale and employer-employee relations either.

Class 170101

Established Member
You say that and many probably are but from a post posted before yours (or mine) and linked below suggests ASLEF still has a mandate and that there is bad feeling out there towards the government, DfT Treasury, RDG.

Text messages and emails going out to all ASLEF members this morning.

Avanti West Coast

Would you be prepared to take part in industrial action consisting of a strike?
YES 483 (94.34%)
NO 29 (5.66%)

Would you be prepared to take part in industrial action short of a strike?
YES 493 (96.29%)
NO 19 (3.71%)

Turnout: 82.58%

CrossCountry

YES 468 (92.86%)
NO 36 (7.14%)

YES 490 (96.46%)
NO (3.54%)

Turnout: 84.11%

Greater Anglia

YES 528 (94.29%)
NO 32 (5.71%)

YES 546 (97.33%)
NO 15 (2.67%)

Turnout: 79.60%

Great Western Railway

YES 1010 (88.36%)
NO 133 (11.64%)

YES 1096 (95.97%)
NO 46 (4.03%)

Turnout: 79.68%

GTR Great Northern Thameslink

YES 780 (89.66%)
NO 90 (10.34%)

YES 836 (95.98%)
NO 35 (4.02%)

Turnout: 76.31%

Island Line

YES 11 (100.00%)
NO 0 (0.00%)

YES 11 (100.00%)
NO 0 (0.00%)

Turnout: 100.00%

LNER (pay/national dispute)

YES 330 (95.93%)
NO 14 (4.07%)

YES 337 (97.97%)
NO 7 (2.03%)

Turnout: 80.75%

LNER (Agreements dispute)

YES 306 (90.27%)
NO 33 (9.73%)

YES 323 (95.28%)
NO 16 (4.72%)

Turnout: 79.39%

Southeastern

YES 650 (90.15%)
NO 71 (9.85%)

YES 670 (92.93%)
NO 51 (7.07%)

Turnout: 75.63%

Southern/Gatwick Express

YES 716 (86.47%)
NO 112 (13.53%)

YES 777 (93.84%)
NO 51 (6.16%)

Turnout: 75%

South Western Railway Depot Drivers

YES 34 (94.44%)
NO 2 (5.56%)

YES 35 (97.22%)
NO 1 (2.78%)

Turnout: 63.16%

South Western Railway Mainline Drivers

YES 867 (91.17%)
NO 84 (8.83%)

YES 916 (96.32%)
NO 35 (3.68%)

Turnout: 78.07%

West Midlands Trains

YES 654 (93.16%)
NO 48 (6.84%)

YES 680 (97.28%)
NO 19 (2.72%)

Turnout: 81.53%

philosopher

Established Member
It’s only my experience but talking to a couple of friends on a day out recently, they’ve admitted to enjoying WFH but their respective companies are expecting them to be in the office a lot more now which they understand. I guess that will be replicated elsewhere and I don’t want to take this subject off topic.

I find it baffling that someone whose been on the railway for years doesn’t get why.
I think many commuters see it an opportunity to WFH as their company is likely to be more amenable to them WFH if there is a strike on, hence may either neutral or supportive of the strikes.

Passengers using the rail network for leisure probably are not so keen on the strikes, particularly the ASLEF ones which in my experience have been more likely to be on Saturday than the RMT strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.