• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF strikes W/c 6th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I have an advance ticket Victoria - Barnham on an overtime ban day that has been cancelled.

No email or communication from Southern about this ticket or journey.

Can I use it on the preceding or following services 30 mins either side of the original ticket time?

Of course you can if your service is caped.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

winks

Haven’t staff at London Overground just agreed a pay deal covering 3 years from 2023,2024,2025. All be it train mainteners etc and not drivers but certainly a retrospective deal can be draw up an accepted. It looks a decent offer aswell.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Haven’t staff at London Overground just agreed a pay deal covering 3 years from 2023,2024,2025. All be it train mainteners etc and not drivers but certainly a retrospective deal can be draw up an accepted. It looks a decent offer aswell.

Ironic also that DRS drivers have just been given a 5% pay increase (and also got a rise last year I believe) when DRS is owned and funded by the Government.

baz962

Established Member
Overground drivers got a pay deal this year backdated one for 2023 plus RPI for this year and next year.

Class 170101

Established Member
Nice and easy for them as they don’t have to live under the DfT dictatorship.
But Khan has to do what the government says because he has run out of money so he isn't exactly flushed with money to pay staff.

Goldfish62

Established Member
But Khan has to do what the government says because he has run out of money so he isn't exactly flushed with money to pay staff.
But Overground drivers have nothing to do with him (we'll find out if it's still him later today). They're employed by Arriva Rail London, which isn't a subsidiary of TfL.

urbophile

Established Member
Hopefully you have purchased a London CIV ticket, in which case Eurostar will have to accommodate you on the next service with capacity.
No, because I have an Interrail pass. I'll just have to hope that at least one of the possible trains is running even if I have to get up at silly o'clock.

dk1

Veteran Member
But Overground drivers have nothing to do with him (we'll find out if it's still him later today). They're employed by Arriva Rail London, which isn't a subsidiary of TfL.
But it’s always been run as a concession rather than a franchise hasn’t it?

Goldfish62

Established Member
But it’s always been run as a concession rather than a franchise hasn’t it?
Doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Arriva Rail London is a contractor whatever contract model is used. TfL is not responsible for the pay rates of employees of its contractors.

dk1

Veteran Member
Doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Arriva Rail London is a contractor whatever contract model is used. TfL is not responsible for the pay rates of employees of its contractors.
So obviously they didn’t have to go through the DfT dictatorship?

Similar to Merseyrail.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So obviously they didn’t have to go through the DfT dictatorship?

Similar to Merseyrail.
Indeed so. And taking buses as an example, TfL imposes severe contractual penalties on operators when services fail to operate as a result of strike action, which incentives them to settle quickly. A complete contrast to the DfT.

Krokodil

Established Member
The dispute isn't just about money. It's about protecting conditions. Khan isn't daft enough to try and take a sledgehammer to conditions for a meagre increase in pay.

Snow1964

Established Member
I don’t think there are any talks taking place between Aslef and Huw Merriman. Mick Whelan has confirmed as much this evening on Twitter.
I doubt Huw Merriman does the talking so this is saying nothing, had it been phrased as civil service or rail delivery group then might be factual.

I suspect Mick Whalen doesn't sit in on the actual talking meeting either. He is the secretary, not the negotiator.

irish_rail

Established Member
Hopefully the utterly disastrous election results for the Tories will gee them into action on sorting out disputes like this. Looking at the polls they must now realise the policy of trying to play hardball with the unions has failed miserably. Time to make a fair offer to Aslef and end all this now.

Facing Back

Hopefully the utterly disastrous election results for the Tories will gee them into action on sorting out disputes like this. Looking at the polls they must now realise the policy of trying to play hardball with the unions has failed miserably. Time to make a fair offer to Aslef and end all this now.
Do you really thing that these results will make a difference to this negotiation?

ZNB13

Do you really thing that these results will make a difference to this negotiation?
Same here, nothing will change. I think it's time for ASLEF to call a full on 3 day strike, where we all walk out together...

Class 317

Same here, nothing will change. I think it's time for ASLEF to call a full on 3 day strike, where we all walk out together...
I'm not sure that would make a difference at this point. With slot of office based staff able to WFH the political pressure to settle would be less and with Tories expecting to out of power where would the incentive to settle be?

Facing Back

I'm not sure that would make a difference at this point. With slot of office based staff able to WFH the political pressure to settle would be less and with Tories expecting to out of power where would the incentive to settle be?
I tend to agree. I suspect the window for influencing the current government has closed.

ASLEF's strategy of keeping the dispute in the public eye with the occasional strike and waiting for the next government seems to make sense.

I'm interested to see what the next administration makes of the need to modernise and take cost out. I'm interested in their approach to increasing productivity more broadly as well.

My guess is that they won't see eye to eye with ASLEF but whether they are willing to push it is a different matter - I'm quite sure it won't be a priority.

I wonder if there is middle ground there if there is less antipathy? A less invasive change to working practices?

irish_rail

Established Member
Well Sunak must now realise what he is doing isn't working and he needs big changes if he is to have even a tiny chance of keeping his job post election. Sorting these type of disputes and allowing the country to experience growth is maybe something he will now have to embrace, something has to change. After all, it would be madness to keep the current direction of travel.

GordonT

Well Sunak must now realise what he is doing isn't working and he needs big changes if he is to have even a tiny chance of keeping his job post election. Sorting these type of disputes and allowing the country to experience growth is maybe something he will now have to embrace, something has to change. After all, it would be madness to keep the current direction of travel.
I think that back in the real world the ship has long since sailed on any tiny chance of him keeping his job post election. Industrial relations problems affecting the railways will barely be on his personal radar.

irish_rail

Established Member
I think that back in the real world the ship has long since sailed on any tiny chance of him keeping his job post election. Industrial relations problems affecting the railways will barely be on his personal radar.
And that's just one (of many) reasons why he has been such a p*ss poor PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.