• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Hello fellow colleagues

I am a guard in South England and planning to move to Scotland for ScotRail. The scenery was quite outstanding and my requests are either Aberdeen or Inverness.
I am waiting for the assessments and not to sure how it will turn out. Any advice for " Southerner moving beyond the wall"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigLocoBigMone

Evening all,

I've got an offer with LNER and I'm about to get my medical. It should all be okay however I do have a mental health condition (eating disorder) that I'm currently receiving treatment for.
All my weights, blood etc are in the healthy range so should I have anything to worry about? Will it disqualify me for the role?

Chrysalis

Evening all,

I've got an offer with LNER and I'm about to get my medical. It should all be okay however I do have a mental health condition (eating disorder) that I'm currently receiving treatment for.
All my weights, blood etc are in the healthy range so should I have anything to worry about? Will it disqualify me for the role?
Is there time to get your GP to write a doctor's note saying that your condition is stable and that you're not as risk from feeling faint from it? As long as you don't feel faint from it and can focus as normal, I'd guess that it'd be OK providing that this has been the case for a while.

BigLocoBigMone

Is there time to get your GP to write a doctor's note saying that your condition is stable and that you're not as risk from feeling faint from it? As long as you don't feel faint from it and can focus as normal, I'd guess that it'd be OK providing that this has been the case for a while.
Managed to get one from them today here's hoping the rest of it goes well! :D

lekacc12

Medical said my case is complex and need clinical discussion. I am worried sooo much. I have depression and anxiety and bpd when I was 18( I don't think I have it now) and my medication dose is reducing and very stable. My job is non safety critical. Not sure if I can get a clearance

My doctor said my prognosis is good.

The GP also mentioned my past bpd , depression and anxiety may come from ADHD/ autism which I am on the wait list

BNSTR

Hello. Can someone please send me the medical questionnaire form you get asked to fill in before going for a Driver Medical? Thank you.

Hello. Can someone please send me the medical questionnaire form you get asked to fill in before going for a Driver Medical? Thank you.

You get the questionaire on the day of the medical, at the medical.

I'd be surprised if anyone has a copy as you don't get to bring it home.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

I doubt anyone on this forum has a copy. It is normally in the reception of the company conducting the medical and you fill it in on paper on the day.

Samzino

Established Member
Brief overview of Assessment Center Stage 2 now that I've completed it twice both times passing.

If stage one is what you're looking for then an overview is here: Stage One Assessment Day Overview

The Day starts off with the WAFV, followed by ATAVT and then 2 hand coordination test. In both my experiences the results are shortly given to you on a one to one meeting after the tests. It lasts about 52 Mins to 1Hr for the assessment part of the day, if your TOC does the MMI on the same day then that will happen after X amount of time on that day and only after the SJE and Pre Questionnaire sheet is filled.

WAFV
Known as a Vigilance test, it lasts about 30mins and you're expected to react only when the flashing grey square turns Black. As others have said on this forum, you will be given a practice set before starting the real test and it shows you clearly the difference between the Grey square and Black Square. An example shown below:

Screenshot_942.png
The Normal Shade, you do not react to this at all.

Screenshot_941.png
The Black square, you're expected to react to it by pressing a Green Button.

1706813324576.png

I completed the examples and started the test. It felt faster for me, time duration-wise, than the times I practiced it. I practiced for 1 week every day before the assessment using a tool called Rail Test Preparation, which has a few other tests on it and, in my opinion, replicated the WAFV very well. But then again, it's really only a flashing grey square that turns dark black :D .

The frequency of the black square was very manageable. I found ways to keep up my attention by adding in a tiny bit of distraction. For example, I ended up learning exactly how far away, test-wise, those sitting the test with me were. As I started first, I knew the person next to me was about 10 seconds behind, and the one after them, 25 behind, and the other 10 seconds behind that individual. Moving my focus to different corners of the squares rather than a whole head adjustment also corrected any loss of focus or blurriness, which will start to happen if you focus too long.

I personally didn't experience it, but some experienced a color disorientation in which the square appears to be getting darker and darker than it truly is. This led to misclicks, and in some cases, I heard several presses of the green button by a lass in the corner, of which I knew I hadn't encountered any part of the test that required that amount of button pressing. Thus, as we later discovered, they were false clicks as the disorientation had happened. Sadly, went down by 3 after that test, out of 5 down to mainly that.

I often like to understand why I do a test, and from the experience, I could tell that this test, as the name suggests, will test your ability to concentrate for an extended period of time and your reaction over that said time. As something gets monotonous, your mind can tend to lag, and the test wants to see if what starts off as a simple task can then become a difficult task for an individual, which could highlight an area of risk in train operation.

Tips for the test from my experience:
  1. Get yourself comfortable and in position, this matters a lot as you don't want to make any adjustments as much later, Your hand that will be used to press the button should be relaxed and of free movement to do so.
  2. Make sure you've used the toilet, kept a bottle of water near you but not distractingly close and any distractions on yourself like a Phone etc has been removed. You'll need to be of full attention.
  3. Don't overthink the test, there is only ever two shades and the two shades are exactly the same two you will see in the practice examples. They do not change mid test.
  4. Use the headphones for some noise dampening
  5. Relax once again, wait only for the square to go black before you react, It also gives you a bit of a hint that you've reacted to the Black square by the screen staying white for about 1 second more than usual before flashing to whatever the next shade of square is.

ATAVT
The test I worried about on both occasions but ended up passing it to very high standard. Its a test of visual perception. You are shown an image for about 1 second of a street or traffic and asked to later state what you see. The options were similar to:

1706814643904.png

ATAVT Similar Video

You're given practice examples, as with the WAFV. It's important to note that the practice run will tell you that you've got the question wrong if you do not get all the items correct and will reshare the photo for you to select the correct ones. However, this does not mean that in the real test you need every item!!! Just select honestly what you saw and do not try to guess. You're negatively marked down on wrong answers, not missed answers. Just because you may have seen a pedestrian crossing a road doesn't mean they did so at a traffic light; it could have been a zebra crossing. Unless you remember exactly what it was, then don't assume.

On the device its these buttons for the test:

1706814945049.png

The green button is only used to move to the next image; you're allowed to control when you move to the next set of images. I think there were 17-20 images in all, with about 12 minutes total time estimated. I just focused on the center of the images. My eyes were able to make out the big objects like cars and glowing objects like traffic lights, while I could check for people, cyclists, and road signs. It went quite well in my opinion, much better than what I expected. Once again, a test that you really shouldn't overthink.

I think it's self-explanatory with why you're tested on this, but briefly, as a driver, you'd be expected to have a decent level of visual recall, especially at some operational speeds of over 100mph. You'll need to be able to pick out details that often will be oblivious to others, and all that in a restricted amount of time while staying calm.

1. Get yourself comfortable and in position, if you're using glasses then wipe those as you don't want fog to cause you issues.
  2. Don't overthink the test, only click the number relevant to the answer that you've seen(this becomes clear on the day but on the test device the numbers correspond to the answer you want to select).
  3. Take as much time as you realistically need before moving onto the next but not too long as you'll find yourself pandering over what you've seen and in some cases you might recreate the actual image you last remember seeing in your head.
  4. Make sure if you haven't already to have adjusted the sound in your headset. The audio beep that plays before the image is shown is important and you don't want it too quiet yet too loud.
  5. Relax, ideally you should have found a focus point on the test practice examples in which you will be aiming to focus on for all the images. Use the practice examples to the max before starting the real test on the day!

2 Hand Coordination
Like the ATAVT there isn't much that can prepare you for this test, you either have the ability or don't but your day to day life may have used the certain fine motor skills and hand eye coordination required for the test itself. The main area that makes it hard to practice the test is that the Joysticks:

1706816977795.png

Do not feel like most conventional joysticks and are thus harder to replicate with dual-shock joysticks like those on the Playstation, etc. However, they do flick back slowly to the neutral position, so bear in mind this if you let go during the test. The left joystick controls only the right and left movement of the ball and is restricted to this axis, while the right controls the up and down movement of the ball and is also restricted to this axis.

The real test will look somewhat similar to below:

sport_en.jpg

You are given a practice round first, which involves simply moving the ball to a Point marked B. There's no track in this example. Use the examples to get a feel for positioning; I found that holding the joysticks halfway worked best for me, so you'll need to experiment for yourself. These examples are not timed, and it's up to you to move on by moving the ball to the destination marked B.

Another example after the first practice stage is the circuit itself, and this is your last chance to adjust your audio, find a feel for placement on the joystick, and get to grips with the test. Once you complete the circuit, the test is next. It should take about 10 minutes, estimated, and there are a few tracks. You'll go out for sure in this test; I went out on the first 4 about 3 times each, and there is a clear audio beep telling you this. Try not to panic and just get back on track. I'm very sure they can see how you react to the audio beep, especially if the ball right after increases the distance it's already fallen off the track by.

Going off track isn't too much of a problem; just try not to be too frequent with it. How quickly you get back on track is very important. You'll feel yourself getting better. All 10 track test attempts are the same, The circuit doesn't change at all, its the same Circuit/ Track as the first attempt and which at the time of writing is again similar to the picture above. By test attempt 7, I was going off the track only once on each, with the 10th not coming off at all. You'll improve as you go along.

I don't really have any tips for this one as it's basically a game of ability here.

Hopefully, you're called in after the suite of tests is done and are told you've passed. In which case, you may do the MMI on the day and be told how the final part of that day will proceed. The MMI is so well covered in this forum that I'd be repeating lots of already valuable information on here. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I just wanted to ask if you get through to an assessment and you fail it is there like a period of time where you can’t sit a test again or if you fail it like twice I’ve read on some threads that you can’t do it ever again.

Excuse my stupidity if I am being stupid I’m turning 18 soon and would like to get my foot in as soon as possible.

Ses16

I just wanted to ask if you get through to an assessment and you fail it is there like a period of time where you can’t sit a test again or if you fail it like twice I’ve read on some threads that you can’t do it ever again.

Excuse my stupidity if I am being stupid I’m turning 18 soon and would like to get my foot in as soon as possible.
Two lifetime attempts at the assessments but if you fail the first times can’t sit any again within 6 months.

Also you gotta be minimum 21 years of age to apply for a trainee driver role. Not sure if that’s every TOC but apply for some CSA roles, gain some experience and knowledge till you’re age eligible.

Two lifetime attempts at the assessments but if you fail the first times can’t sit any again within 6 months.

Also you gotta be minimum 21 years of age to apply for a trainee driver role. Not sure if that’s every TOC but apply for some CSA roles, gain some experience and knowledge till you’re age eligible.
Does that apply to guards aswell with two lifetime attempts?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thank you do you mind quoting what assessments guards do?

It's quite varied by TOC so I wouldn't say there is universal answer I can give. Other people who have been through it recently may be able to advise further.

Ameria

Hi, I have my pre-recruitment medical tomorrow for ScotRail. What can I expect? I know there will be a drugs and alcohol test (urine sample); colour blindsness; eyesight and hearing tests. I've been told to bring my latest glasses prescription with me as well.

What else do they test for? Do they take blood to do a full blood count? Do they test for diabetes? Someone on here mentioned a basic fitness test - what does that involve?

I wear glasses and don't have the best eyesight, but I haven't had anything else checked before, so I'm a bit worried they'll discover something wrong with me! Not really worried about that, just really keen to get the job! :D

Thanks for any info

Thank you do you mind quoting what assessments guards do?
I have just been to an assessment centre for a conductor role. I had 3 hours of tests known as SAAT, RAAT and customer service. I was sent an assessment centre practice booklet which, for the conductor role, including exercises on selling and checking tickets, but the practice booklet was a lot different from the tests at the centre. Some people have an online test to sit before the centre. If so, you do not have to sit that test at the centre.

You will definitely be tested on your concentration (SAAT) by either looking at pages of dots or symbols (most likely symbols for a guard); have a rules based test - passages of text with multiple choice answers; and customer service multiple choice questions.

Then you will likely have a panel interview with questions based around customer service, teamwork; challenging situations; problem solving etc. Then it's the medical. Then it's the training centre if you pass all that.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi, I have my pre-recruitment medical tomorrow for ScotRail. What can I expect? I know there will be a drugs and alcohol test (urine sample); colour blindsness; eyesight and hearing tests. I've been told to bring my latest glasses prescription with me as well.

What else do they test for? Do they take blood to do a full blood count? Do they test for diabetes? Someone on here mentioned a basic fitness test - what does that involve?

I wear glasses and don't have the best eyesight, but I haven't had anything else checked before, so I'm a bit worried they'll discover something wrong with me! Not really worried about that, just really keen to get the job! :D

Thanks for any info

Yes you are mostly correct.

They won’t test for blood or diabetes, but there will be a pre-medical questionnaire to complete which you will need to do truthfully and they may ask questions on that.

The fitness test is normally very basic; can you reach above your head and down low, keeping your balance for a short period of time etc.

P.S.

Hi everyone,
Long story short, I've applied for Trainee TD position (Southeastern) back in 2021. No answer at first, and in about 5-6 month received email saying that I've been shortlisted. After that was a dead silence, life is going on and I completely forgot about that as I thought its all hopeless. So working in different industry and doing absolutely different stuff.
And, last Wednesday, out of blue, I receiving an email from Southeastern saying that they are inviting me to their Tonbridge assessment centre for an interview and the assessment itself. They have attached some practice material to that email, but some people on this and other forums saying that the actual tests may be different from material I was given to practice.
Could you suggest please what to expect on the day of the assessment, what is the structure of assessment and what kind of tests Southeastern is going to put me through.

Many thanks in advance for the information and advise,
Pavlo

Samzino

Established Member
In the Assessments and Medical Sticky Thread, pretty much all information is available on there, outside of you're own ability on the day.

I'll link my own stage breakdowns. Has pretty much enough to give a general idea for all the main assessments.

Stage One Click Here

Stage Two Click Here
In the email they'd have mentioned what tests to expect on the day. The practice documents sent via the email will test the same things as the real assessments but isn't a true replication as expected since you're expected to be tested.

The above quoted post links both Stage One and Stage Two which for SE you'll complete both those stages on the same day in addition to whatever is SE's Enhanced Assessment which i believe is VSE. The email will specify.

P.S.

Thank you
I’ve got about 7 days to prepare myself to this assessment. Hope it’s enough time to get myself familiar with the practice material.
Fingers crossed!

Brad1997

Can anyone help please, can't see to gain acccess to the group bourdon tool. Apple user and have tried on both my phone and laptop. Can't even send the file onto anyone else.

BOMPO83

Brief overview of Assessment Center Stage 2 now that I've completed it twice both times passing.

If stage one is what you're looking for then an overview is here: Stage One Assessment Day Overview

The Day starts off with the WAFV, followed by ATAVT and then 2 hand coordination test. In both my experiences the results are shortly given to you on a one to one meeting after the tests. It lasts about 52 Mins to 1Hr for the assessment part of the day, if your TOC does the MMI on the same day then that will happen after X amount of time on that day and only after the SJE and Pre Questionnaire sheet is filled.

WAFV
Known as a Vigilance test, it lasts about 30mins and you're expected to react only when the flashing grey square turns Black. As others have said on this forum, you will be given a practice set before starting the real test and it shows you clearly the difference between the Grey square and Black Square. An example shown below:

View attachment 151541
The Normal Shade, you do not react to this at all.

View attachment 151539
The Black square, you're expected to react to it by pressing a Green Button.

View attachment 151542

I completed the examples and started the test. It felt faster for me, time duration-wise, than the times I practiced it. I practiced for 1 week every day before the assessment using a tool called Rail Test Preparation, which has a few other tests on it and, in my opinion, replicated the WAFV very well. But then again, it's really only a flashing grey square that turns dark black :D .

The frequency of the black square was very manageable. I found ways to keep up my attention by adding in a tiny bit of distraction. For example, I ended up learning exactly how far away, test-wise, those sitting the test with me were. As I started first, I knew the person next to me was about 10 seconds behind, and the one after them, 25 behind, and the other 10 seconds behind that individual. Moving my focus to different corners of the squares rather than a whole head adjustment also corrected any loss of focus or blurriness, which will start to happen if you focus too long.

I personally didn't experience it, but some experienced a color disorientation in which the square appears to be getting darker and darker than it truly is. This led to misclicks, and in some cases, I heard several presses of the green button by a lass in the corner, of which I knew I hadn't encountered any part of the test that required that amount of button pressing. Thus, as we later discovered, they were false clicks as the disorientation had happened. Sadly, went down by 3 after that test, out of 5 down to mainly that.

I often like to understand why I do a test, and from the experience, I could tell that this test, as the name suggests, will test your ability to concentrate for an extended period of time and your reaction over that said time. As something gets monotonous, your mind can tend to lag, and the test wants to see if what starts off as a simple task can then become a difficult task for an individual, which could highlight an area of risk in train operation.

1. Get yourself comfortable and in position, this matters a lot as you don't want to make any adjustments as much later, Your hand that will be used to press the button should be relaxed and of free movement to do so.
  2. Make sure you've used the toilet, kept a bottle of water near you but not distractingly close and any distractions on yourself like a Phone etc has been removed. You'll need to be of full attention.
  3. Don't overthink the test, there is only ever two shades and the two shades are exactly the same two you will see in the practice examples. They do not change mid test.
  4. Use the headphones for some noise dampening
  5. Relax once again, wait only for the square to go black before you react, It also gives you a bit of a hint that you've reacted to the Black square by the screen staying white for about 1 second more than usual before flashing to whatever the next shade of square is.

ATAVT
The test I worried about on both occasions but ended up passing it to very high standard. Its a test of visual perception. You are shown an image for about 1 second of a street or traffic and asked to later state what you see. The options were similar to:

View attachment 151544

ATAVT Similar Video

You're given practice examples, as with the WAFV. It's important to note that the practice run will tell you that you've got the question wrong if you do not get all the items correct and will reshare the photo for you to select the correct ones. However, this does not mean that in the real test you need every item!!! Just select honestly what you saw and do not try to guess. You're negatively marked down on wrong answers, not missed answers. Just because you may have seen a pedestrian crossing a road doesn't mean they did so at a traffic light; it could have been a zebra crossing. Unless you remember exactly what it was, then don't assume.

On the device its these buttons for the test:

View attachment 151545

The green button is only used to move to the next image; you're allowed to control when you move to the next set of images. I think there were 17-20 images in all, with about 12 minutes total time estimated. I just focused on the center of the images. My eyes were able to make out the big objects like cars and glowing objects like traffic lights, while I could check for people, cyclists, and road signs. It went quite well in my opinion, much better than what I expected. Once again, a test that you really shouldn't overthink.

I think it's self-explanatory with why you're tested on this, but briefly, as a driver, you'd be expected to have a decent level of visual recall, especially at some operational speeds of over 100mph. You'll need to be able to pick out details that often will be oblivious to others, and all that in a restricted amount of time while staying calm.

1. Get yourself comfortable and in position, if you're using glasses then wipe those as you don't want fog to cause you issues.
  2. Don't overthink the test, only click the number relevant to the answer that you've seen(this becomes clear on the day but on the test device the numbers correspond to the answer you want to select).
  3. Take as much time as you realistically need before moving onto the next but not too long as you'll find yourself pandering over what you've seen and in some cases you might recreate the actual image you last remember seeing in your head.
  4. Make sure if you haven't already to have adjusted the sound in your headset. The audio beep that plays before the image is shown is important and you don't want it too quiet yet too loud.
  5. Relax, ideally you should have found a focus point on the test practice examples in which you will be aiming to focus on for all the images. Use the practice examples to the max before starting the real test on the day!

2 Hand Coordination
Like the ATAVT there isn't much that can prepare you for this test, you either have the ability or don't but your day to day life may have used the certain fine motor skills and hand eye coordination required for the test itself. The main area that makes it hard to practice the test is that the Joysticks:

View attachment 151546

Do not feel like most conventional joysticks and are thus harder to replicate with dual-shock joysticks like those on the Playstation, etc. However, they do flick back slowly to the neutral position, so bear in mind this if you let go during the test. The left joystick controls only the right and left movement of the ball and is restricted to this axis, while the right controls the up and down movement of the ball and is also restricted to this axis.

The real test will look somewhat similar to below:

sport_en.jpg

You are given a practice round first, which involves simply moving the ball to a Point marked B. There's no track in this example. Use the examples to get a feel for positioning; I found that holding the joysticks halfway worked best for me, so you'll need to experiment for yourself. These examples are not timed, and it's up to you to move on by moving the ball to the destination marked B.

Another example after the first practice stage is the circuit itself, and this is your last chance to adjust your audio, find a feel for placement on the joystick, and get to grips with the test. Once you complete the circuit, the test is next. It should take about 10 minutes, estimated, and there are a few tracks. You'll go out for sure in this test; I went out on the first 4 about 3 times each, and there is a clear audio beep telling you this. Try not to panic and just get back on track. I'm very sure they can see how you react to the audio beep, especially if the ball right after increases the distance it's already fallen off the track by.

Going off track isn't too much of a problem; just try not to be too frequent with it. How quickly you get back on track is very important. You'll feel yourself getting better. All 10 track test attempts are the same. By test attempt 7, I was going off the track only once on each, with the 10th not coming off at all. You'll improve as you go along.

I don't really have any tips for this one as it's basically a game of ability here.

Hopefully, you're called in after the suite of tests is done and are told you've passed. In which case, you may do the MMI on the day and be told how the final part of that day will proceed. The MMI is so well covered in this forum that I'd be repeating lots of already valuable information on here. Best of luck!
Last minute question sorry. Is the track the same shape everytime on the hand coordination? Did i read that right ? Thanks

BNSTR

Hello,

I have my medical soon for a driver. In the past I’ve had some brain fog and memory issues which were essentially due to overworking and have now subsided. The MRI was all clear as well.

My question is will this be a problem for my driver post?

I’ve read the RSSB standard and it states that you can’t currently suffer from it so do you guys think it’ll be okay?

EZJ

It's very difficult to say without knowing your exact history and bring qualified to judge on it. All you can do is honestly present the facts at your medical or whenever they ask about it and see what they say. Unfortunately nobody here could categorically give you an answer either way. Good luck to you.

Established Member
Hello,

I have my medical soon for a driver. In the past I’ve had some brain fog and memory issues which were essentially due to overworking and have now subsided. The MRI was all clear as well.

I’ve read the RSSB standard and it states that you can’t currently suffer from it so do you guys think it’ll be okay?

Admin please move it to the medial thread, I do apologise

Depends whether you were diagnosed with anything, whether you have any ongoing symptoms, and any impact on the driver medical (both of the condition/symptoms, and any relevant medication). The good news is that there are lots of conditions/medications that aren’t disqualifying.

However your particular situation isn’t going to be something anyone here can advise definitively on. I’d recommend continuing with the application, but being completely open and honest about your medical history with the TOC at every stage.

BrokenSam

Hello,

Admin please move it to the medial thread, I do apologise
Give it a shot. I've a memory like a sieve and I've become a halfway decent driver.

Samzino

Established Member
Last minute question sorry. Is the track the same shape everytime on the hand coordination? Did i read that right ? Thanks
Indeed the track is the same track for all 10 rounds. Doesn't change from the one similar to the picture.