• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This thread is intended to be used for any forum users to discuss assessments and medicals, including (but not limited to):
  • OPC Assessments
  • Job-specific assessments
  • Practice material for jobs
  • The medical process
  • Questions about what happens at a medical.

The link to the test Group Bourdon Tool can be found here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/group-bourdon-tool.156417/

OPC information on which TOCs require Standard or Enhanced: https://www.theopc.co.uk/files/ADVICE_Train_Driver_Standards.pdf

Various steps of the Driver Assessment process: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trainee-driver-assessment-process-tips.216853/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Got my first periodical medical (I'm a Guard) next week, anyone know what I'm in for?

Normally it will be a drugs and alcohol test, eyesight (inc. colour blindness), hearing, blood pressure, some basic (very basic) physical exercise, BMI and a general health and medication check. It’s part of a safety-critical medical. Always disclose anything you think might be an issue as it’s best to get it out of the way at this stage rather than become a problem once you’re in the role.

Mr_Resist0r

But I've got my psychometric assessment coming up and I'm looking for some advice. I've got the group bourdon tool from the sticky and have been doing 5 sheets a day for just short of a week, I can do about 10 - 11 lines with one or two mistakes per sheet. I'm looking at what more I can do to prepare to give myself the best chance I can. This place has been a great resource and any and all help would be appreciated. Cheers :D

MintyMango

While speed is important, I think accuracy is much more important to aim for.

But as the previous poster said , all you can do is practice, practice, practice.

I did it over and over again, to the point where I could instantly recognise the shape of the dots I was looking out for.

Good luck :)

AG1994

Print sheets out and do it on paper, like you’ll actually do on the day. On the real test you have a whole A4 sheet of the dots and using a pencil you put a slash through the 4 dots.

I was a lot better on paper than on the computer, so shows there is a difference - and you don’t want to find out on the day you’re the other way round!

Newapplicant

Also, don't just focus on the group bourdon test, make sure you read through your booklet provided by the TOC to see what else you'll be expected to complete on the day.

I had my psychometrics with Northern and the day was split into 3 sections, with you needing to pass each section to progress, if you failed the section then you were asked to leave.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Mr_Resist0r

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it. I'll keep you updated, just going to keep practicing daily.

Eager girl

Good advice on here. I was averaging where you are at now and got through. The only one that is difficult to practice on is the 2 Hand Coordination test as the controls take some getting used to. I was all over the place to start with but pulled straight once I got the hang of it and passed. Good luck!

Newapplicant

Good advice on here. I was averaging where you are at now and got through. The only one that is difficult to practice on is the 2 Hand Coordination test as the controls take some getting used to. I was all over the place to start with but pulled straight once I got the hang of it and passed. Good luck!

It was the phonebook test mixed with tones that got me. Absolutely blew my mind. I was still counting the tones after I'd been told I'd failed! :p

Eager girl

I recall that there were approximately 20 images. It wasn’t easy. I focussed on making notes in my head of the 5 items you need to spot - to get an idea Google ATAVT on you tube to get an idea of how quick you need to be. I found this to be the second toughest one after the 2 hand coordination but that was just my experience - others have found the 2 hand coordination one a doddle from reading posts on here.

Does anyone know how many questions there are on the image recall memory test? I believe it's called AART?
Which TOC are you going for as some require DFFT?

Last edited:

Cowcow15

Hi all,

Quick query im hoping someone knowledgable might be able to answer.

I passed stage 1of the opc tests in sepetmeber 2019 and I then passed stage 2 of the opc tests in november 2019 for gwr, and was placed in a talent pool for exeter in march 2020 (just before covid!). Im still in the pool, and the last email i had from gwr was September 2022 stating no planned recruitment in the west for this financial year (22/23).

My question is when do my 5 years end for the test results, is it from the date of the first test, the second test or being placed in the pool?

Also, if anyone has any idea if there is any recruitment planned for exeter anytime soon that would be great.

I know being placed in a pool is no guarantee of a job etc, and unfortunately due to gamily circumstances i wouldn't be able to apply for other tocs/focs unless they are located near to exeter.

Thanks to anyone who is able to shed any light.

Cheers

Stigy

Established Member
Your tests will generally expire at their individual anniversaries, so the stage one tests in September, and Stage Two in November. The amount of years varies from company to company, and is generally 3 or 5 years (GWR is 5 year). Having said that, as they are so close together and done with the one TOC, they may use on anniversary (probably the first date?).

Since they’re both so close together, this won’t be much of an issue I wouldn’t have thought. I’d urge anyone in a pool to apply for jobs elsewhere however, as pools are notoriously unreliable.

Last edited:

Cowcow15

Thanks stigy, knew you would know the answer!

Well fingers crossed there is some movement before September 2024 for me!

Manda2194

Ive been wondering about this actually because my tests are much further apart. Stage 1 in May 2021 and Stage 2 in November 2022. Assuming it is 5 years valid does that mean stage 1 is valid until till 2026 and stage to till 2027. I found the stage 2 really hard so I'm really hoping ive been the back of them!

Stigy

Established Member
Ive been wondering about this actually because my tests are much further apart. Stage 1 in May 2021 and Stage 2 in November 2022. Assuming it is 5 years valid does that mean stage 1 is valid until till 2026 and stage to till 2027. I found the stage 2 really hard so I'm really hoping ive been the back of them!
Yes, you were tested at different points in time, quite significantly and I assume for different TOCs?

Eager girl

I am not sure about DB Cargo so maybe find out from them. Even if you understand this one fully it is easy to revert to the incorrect train info when switching between info sheets.

SuperS16v

There’s around 15-20 images

I recall that there were approximately 20 images. It wasn’t easy. I focussed on making notes in my head of the 5 items you need to spot - to get an idea Google ATAVT on you tube to get an idea of how quick you need to be. I found this to be the second toughest one after the 2 hand coordination but that was just my experience - others have found the 2 hand coordination one a doddle from reading posts on here.

Which TOC are you going for as some require DFFT?

DB don’t use DFFT

Manda2194

Yes, you were tested at different points in time, quite significantly and I assume for different TOCs?

Yes thats right. First failed the traffic pictures one time round and then when i applied to TFW they made me resit all the stage 2s again which is unusual from what I can gather. The impression I got was you only resist what you fail but apparently not.

AG1994

Make sure to reapply if anything comes up.

They’re known for going ahead with new recruitment campaigns whilst people sit in their silly, never ending talent pool.

ComUtoR

Established Member
While speed is important, I think accuracy is much more important to aim for.

But as the previous poster said , all you can do is practice, practice, practice.

I did it over and over again, to the point where I could instantly recognise the shape of the dots I was looking out for.

Good luck :)

Are you on the May course ?

Stigy

Established Member
Yes thats right. First failed the traffic pictures one time round and then when i applied to TFW they made me resit all the stage 2s again which is unusual from what I can gather. The impression I got was you only resist what you fail but apparently not.
Most TOCs and FOCs will accept passes obtained elsewhere, as long as they meet their criteria, but I have heard some making people resit everything (DB Cargo have been known for this).

Jquarterz

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a question I would appreciate it alot. So I sat a assessment for a trainee train driver position on the 1/09/22 and recieved my results on the 7/09/22. Although I passed at national standard unfortunately I failed the enchanced standard. Officially now would I be able to re apply for these roles again as 6 months has passed, also is there anyway I could contact somebody to officially find out if that is the case