• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

d4rr3n88

Hi All,

I have stage 1 driver assessments on Monday. I have done some practice but the two that i am most worried about are the GLOP and dials tests. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bry_0908

Hi guys, I've been reading threads on here for a while and appreciate all the wise words. I would really like some advice please. I applied to my first TOC which is TPE for a Trainee Train Conductor role - After my interview they've sent me some psychometric tests which are from OPC - They included SCAAT,RAAT,Practice Ticket Checking,NPT and CSS. I have a few questions regarding this;

Are these tests for my role? Do all jobs in this industry need to do these tests?

Why so many for a train conductor role?

What are the test marks to pass or am I competing with other applications?

If I fail can I resit?

Samsanbor

Hi guys, I've been reading threads on here for a while and appreciate all the wise words. I would really like some advice please. I applied to my first TOC which is TPE for a Trainee Train Conductor role - After my interview they've sent me some psychometric tests which are from OPC - They included SCAAT,RAAT,Practice Ticket Checking,NPT and CSS. I have a few questions regarding this;

Are these tests for my role? Do all jobs in this industry need to do these tests?

If I fail can I resit?
All these tests are required to assess your suitability to be trained for the role.

SCAAT will assess your concentration abilities.
RAAT is designed to assess your ability to read and understand simple information.
PTC is a basic ticket checking test, something similar to what you'll have to perform often as a guard.
NPT will assess your numeracy skills.
CSS will assess your customer service abilities, again, as a guard you will have to interact face to face with members of the public costantly.

These tests are designed to assess the abilities required for the conductor role.
Other roles might require only some of these tests or different and more challenging ones for other jobs.

Nobody knows the exact minimum pass mark, you will be scored for every test and competing with other applicants.

If this is your 1st attempt and you fail you will be allowed to resit again after 6 months.
I'm not sure about TPE but be aware some TOC will only allow 2 attempts.

Hope this can help you to understand more about the process.

You can find more and detailed information on this forum.

Best of luck.

feaky4

If I fail can I resit?
So you had the interview first then got the tests? I just got an email saying I have an interview but I know I won’t pass the maths one if I have to do it

DRIVERTOTO

Hi,

I have just passed my train driver assessments, interview and have a conditional job offer subject to medical. I’m concerned I may fail the medical due to a ingenial hernia. It causes me no pain and does not affect me at all. I had an ultrasound last august which I will declare on the forms.
Just wondering if anyone has been through similar and passed the medical.

Many thanks

Bishopstone

Established Member
Not a train driver, but a current (awaiting day surgery) and former hernia patient.

You say your hernia causes you no pain, but are you confident that will remain the case over long hours in the classroom, and then in the driver’s seat? Mine makes me ache and feel stiff when sat for extended periods.

I’m also not a doctor, but I believe these things never heal themselves; sometimes get worse over time, and sometimes remain static. Is it worth considering having the operation before you start training, for peace of mind?

Irrespective - good luck with the new career.

Usual-Commuter

Hi All

Had a day of Driver Assessments today. Managed to pass most of the tests but failed when it came to the ATAVT test. Interested to know what other’s experience with this was?

I’ve found a lot of useful info on this forum regarding the recruitment process so cheers to those who’ve contributed.