• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATAVT - Vienna System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay_M

Hello all

So just to confirm from this thread you only mark the things you definitely saw?

Also do you get marked down for the things you missed.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JRE

Hello all

So just to confirm from this thread you only mark the things you definitely saw?

Also do you get marked down for the things you missed.

Many thanks
Hi Kay_M,

That's right; only mark what you know you've seen. If you're guessing, you'll lose marks for any incorrect answers.

I'm not sure whether or not you're marked down for things you've missed. I imagine it works like this:

Picture A has 3/5 of the 'objects' in it.
You select 2 of them, so you score 2 marks out of a possible 3.
If you select something that wasn't actually there, I'd imagine they'd deduct points from your total as it'll appear that you're just guessing.

Does that make sense?

Kay_M

Hi Kay_M,

That's right; only mark what you know you've seen. If you're guessing, you'll lose marks for any incorrect answers.

I'm not sure whether or not you're marked down for things you've missed. I imagine it works like this:

Picture A has 3/5 of the 'objects' in it.
You select 2 of them, so you score 2 marks out of a possible 3.
If you select something that wasn't actually there, I'd imagine they'd deduct points from your total as it'll appear that you're just guessing.

Does that make sense?
Thank you for that JRE.

JLX5

Sorry to bump the thread.

The bit of practice software that I have seems to be asking all kinds of questions about the images it shows. 'How many of x', 'Did you see y', etc. However, the YouTube example always has the same options for all images: pedestrians, motor vehicle, bike/motorbike/scooter, road sign, traffic light.

Can anyone confirm which is accurate? Is the actual test just looking for the same 5 options and the practice software just making it a little more difficult?

Thanks in advance.

JRE

Sorry to bump the thread.

The bit of practice software that I have seems to be asking all kinds of questions about the images it shows. 'How many of x', 'Did you see y', etc. However, the YouTube example always has the same options for all images: pedestrians, motor vehicle, bike/motorbike/scooter, road sign, traffic light.

Can anyone confirm which is accurate? Is the actual test just looking for the same 5 options and the practice software just making it a little more difficult?

Thanks in advance.
Hi JLX5

The actual test will only ask you to select whether you've seen the following;

Pedestrians,
Vehicles,
Cycles/Motorbikes,
Traffic lights,
Road signs.

It won't ask you to say how many of each you've seen, or anything like that.
The practice software is probably just trying to get you used to looking more in-depth, so that on the day you'll find the actual test simpler?

J

JLX5

Hey J,

Many thanks for your reply, it's put my mind at ease as I can manage it if it's the same selections you need to make per image. I guess it makes sense for the practice software to do that as it's better to be over-prepared instead of under-prepared.

Dan_Gleeballs

Hi everyone, recently took all my tests and this was the only one I failed , thinking back I’m pretty sure I know how I messed up , I was clicking road signs when I seen lampposts , as the pictures are of American situations, most had lampposts that go over the top of the road and form the traffic light. My question is if you see a pedestrian on a bike , do you click pedestrian and cycles ? As this is where I think I went wrong also. Am not sure if they only wanted me to click bike regardless if someone was on it , and only click pedestrian if they are walking, passed the rest of the tests so in 6 months only have to take the computer tests again , the pressure is on ! Many thanks

dzdoris

Hi everyone, recently took all my tests and this was the only one I failed , thinking back I’m pretty sure I know how I messed up , I was clicking road signs when I seen lampposts , as the pictures are of American situations, most had lampposts that go over the top of the road and form the traffic light. My question is if you see a pedestrian on a bike , do you click pedestrian and cycles ? As this is where I think I went wrong also. Am not sure if they only wanted me to click bike regardless if someone was on it , and only click pedestrian if they are walking, passed the rest of the tests so in 6 months only have to take the computer tests again , the pressure is on ! Many thanks
I'm practising for this at the moment and the way I've interpreted is a pedestrian is someone 'walking'. If they're on a bike I class it as a bike. Hope that's right!

LCC106

Established Member
With all due respect not wishing to sound harsh this is part of the process of elimination. If you class a pedestrian as someone on a bike and that isn’t the correct answer, then this test has highlighted the gap between your thought process and what they are looking for. Yes it’s good to get feedback but best to ask for it from the OPC, TOC or FOC. I say this as someone who gets frustrated at forum members over-sharing information about tests at times, no disrespect to anyone.

Anthony R

With all due respect not wishing to sound harsh this is part of the process of elimination. If you class a pedestrian as someone on a bike and that isn’t the correct answer, then this test has highlighted the gap between your thought process and what they are looking for. Yes it’s good to get feedback but best to ask for it from the OPC, TOC or FOC. I say this as someone who gets frustrated at forum members over-sharing information about tests at times, no disrespect to anyone.
I don’t know. Legit research I think. I seem the minority when I say the opc practice material was garbage and did not reflect the tests accurately on the day.

Regarding the images, I was stumped on one, is a man walking whilst holding his bike considered a pedestrian. I would assume it constitutes a bike and also a pedestrian but it’s ambiguous and how ever you come down on it in my mind has zero indication of you being a good train driver or not.

Also I would offer up to those who say over prep and practicing is cheating and wrong, as you either “have or you don’t” is fundamentally flawed, I believe this because, having a lot of experience in recruitment at one time, when tests are first implemented for things like this it is true, they are reflective of innate ability as nobody has seen them, however when these test become known and shared, people practice, and thus the average scores go up, and the bell curve shifts right, therefore the examiners response is over time the pass mark must also go up. So now, if you don’t practice these tests you are immediately working from a handicap. Cut short, because most have practiced till their blue in the face innate ability may no longer be enough, instead now you need innate ability and experience through practice tin order to pass. Obviously I’m sure people still do just the opc pack and pass and those I would say would be eminently suitable, but I wager there are not too many of them if they were honest.

FastTrax

Hi JLX5

The actual test will only ask you to select whether you've seen the following;

Pedestrians,
Vehicles,
Cycles/Motorbikes,
Traffic lights,
Road signs.

It won't ask you to say how many of each you've seen, or anything like that.
The practice software is probably just trying to get you used to looking more in-depth, so that on the day you'll find the actual test simpler?

J
thanks for this is as i didnt realise it was always the 5 items we look for.... this makes it very easy as we can just aim to remember/spot 2-3 items from teh pic then u r guaranteed to pass well... someone here said it already that if u aim to remember even two items then u cant go wrong...sorry for those who failed. i guess the pressure and self doubt takes over very easily. thanks for great info

LCC106

Established Member
I don’t know. Legit research I think. I seem the minority when I say the opc practice material was garbage and did not reflect the tests accurately on the day.

Regarding the images, I was stumped on one, is a man walking whilst holding his bike considered a pedestrian. I would assume it constitutes a bike and also a pedestrian but it’s ambiguous and how ever you come down on it in my mind has zero indication of you being a good train driver or not.

Also I would offer up to those who say over prep and practicing is cheating and wrong, as you either “have or you don’t” is fundamentally flawed, I believe this because, having a lot of experience in recruitment at one time, when tests are first implemented for things like this it is true, they are reflective of innate ability as nobody has seen them, however when these test become known and shared, people practice, and thus the average scores go up, and the bell curve shifts right, therefore the examiners response is over time the pass mark must also go up. So now, if you don’t practice these tests you are immediately working from a handicap. Cut short, because most have practiced till their blue in the face innate ability may no longer be enough, instead now you need innate ability and experience through practice tin order to pass. Obviously I’m sure people still do just the opc pack and pass and those I would say would be eminently suitable, but I wager there are not too many of them if they were honest.
I think the fact that the content of some of the tests is still the same as 20 years ago doesn’t help. Touching on what you say too, the RSSB website states (something along the lines of) psychometric tests will normally be adapted in line with significant changes to the job role. Maybe herein lies a flaw and the tests should be changed every 5 years or so. Then again, would that render people’s valid passes redundant? Interesting thought.

Anthony R

I think the fact that the content of some of the tests is still the same as 20 years ago doesn’t help. Touching on what you say too, the RSSB website states (something along the lines of) psychometric tests will normally be adapted in line with significant changes to the job role. Maybe herein lies a flaw and the tests should be changed every 5 years or so. Then again, would that render people’s valid passes redundant? Interesting thought.
Almost certainly, you’re right, if they truely want to measure innate ability the tests would need to be changed On a regular basis and have a variety of versions of each test. And I wish they would I’d rather not have to spend my time overly practicing these tests simply because everyone else is.

Funnily enough I do think they switch up the passage trp1 test. Someone told me all about theirs before I had mine and most of their content was the direct opposite to the content on mine, for example switch location.wording on switch, complete opposite. .Or perhaps this person didn’t like me very much lol... which wouldn’t be uncommon for me. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.