• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATO/ETCS languishing unused in the Thameslink core

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardGore

The last handful of times I've been through the Thameslink core (at least on trains bound for the Sutton Loop Line) they've run through on AWS, judging by the noises emanating from the cab. Most odd.

Why are they not running through on ATO or at least under L2? There was a palaver about the first ATO passenger service running through, did they have a sudden change of heart?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Why are they not running through on ATO or at least under L2?
I'm guessing that given current circumstances the priority is in getting as many drivers trained on driving the 700s and the various routes, rather than any specific training in ETCS/ATO and associated procedures.

Aictos

Established Member
Simple because they need to train up drivers on the ATO/ETCS signalling as it's a different type of signalling and also because they still need to train up drivers on the Class 700s as well as the route between Finsbury Park and East Croydon for example as explained in another thread at the start of the May timetable only 2 drivers from Horsham actually signed the route to Peterborough so the signalling training for drivers has had to take a backseat for now.

387star

On Moderation
ATO is not necessary until the full rollout of the TL timetable

Will be late 2019 at the earliest before we see full Core ATO in my opinion

RichardGore

ATO is not necessary until the full rollout of the TL timetable

Surely that should suggest (training issues notwithstanding) putting it into use as soon as possible, for effectively free extra system testing and building up practical experience?

387star

On Moderation
Surely that should suggest (training issues notwithstanding) putting it into use as soon as possible, for effectively free extra system testing and building up practical experience?

The service need a stabilising first

Wonder how ATO will be introduced? You can't have ATO and non ATO workings simultaneously can you

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The service need a stabilising first

Wonder how ATO will be introduced? You can't have ATO and non ATO workings simultaneously can you
I think you must be able to, because the demonstration run happened while other services were normally running.

387star

On Moderation
I think you must be able to, because the demonstration run happened while other services were normally running.
Yeah thinking about it's the signals will still work normally so yeah stupid post haha

Given end of 2019 is the planned end date for the full timetable I imagine ATO is hardly a priority

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The ETCS and by extension ATO is working.

But only 2 of the trains have it enabled, as very few of the drivers are trained. Activating the trains is very straightforward. Training 800+ drivers less so. But, if the stars align and you get one of the two trains with it active, and a trained driver driving, it is quite likely you will travel ATO.

Adsy125

The ETCS and by extension ATO is working.

But only 2 of the trains have it enabled, as very few of the drivers are trained. Activating the trains is very straightforward. Training 800+ drivers less so. But, if the stars align and you get one of the two trains with it active, and a trained driver driving, it is quite likely you will travel ATO.
Is there any obvious clue that tells you that you're on a train operating with ATO? It also seems like it would make sense if all the 700s had it activated so drivers who are trained on it can use it frequently.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is there any obvious clue that tells you that you're on a train operating with ATO? It also seems like it would make sense if all the 700s had it activated so drivers who are trained on it can use it frequently.

There’s three ways:

1) sit in the front first class section (with an appropriate ticket), directly behind the driver and listen for the noises coming from the cab. If you hear the AWS noises, it’s not in ATO.

2) see how long it takes the doors to auto-open in the core. They are about 1 second quicker to auto-release in ATO.

3) observe the 6 digit number on the front of the unit in the format 700xxx. If it is one of the two units that has ATO enabled, then there’s a chance it may be on. Naturally, you will have to know which units are the two concerned. And I’m not telling8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.