• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATOC Priv Cards - Currently a Dependant

Status
Not open for further replies.

skypirate123

Hi there,

I have a question about the whole priv cards, mainly because I am currently on one at the moment however I think in the very near future I will have an issue with it meaning I likely won't be able to get it again but anyway I shall explain my situation.

My mother is is currently employed and is the staff of our local train company. She is currently a single parent, and I am the only one she is living with. I've been to University and during that period of time I know I've been able to have able to have a priv/toc card to use freely as a dependant.

However since returning to University I've recently just gotten a job so I know that I won't be able to use my priv from now on. But my question is: Is there any way I can still claim a priv now I am working and still living with my mother? I am the only one who lives with her and there is nobody else to claim that priv so it is going to be wasted now that I am working and earning over a certain amount.

Just annoying because I wouldn't mind saving a bit travelling and I just find it a little silly that a partner of my mother (if she had one) could claim a priv even if they are working yet for a dependant it is different. At least that is what I've been told about partners claiming on priv which I believe should be the same for even a dependant.

If there's any way to resolve this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance ^,^b

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skypirate123

So by the looks of it there is no way for me to continue getting a priv pass?

I just find the fact that she can give a working partner one without any worry about how much they earn whereas for her child it somehow matters. Would just be easier and more simple to let any family member in the household have a priv without the amount they earn mattering.

Looks like I have to waste more money to travel in the future...

If there is any way around it would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

caliwag

You can earn up to £120 odd a week under the age of 25 and living with your Mother as I understand it. Do an MA or PhD!

Dr.iver

I just find the fact that she can give a working partner one without any worry about how much they earn whereas for her child it somehow matters. Would just be easier and more simple to let any family member in the household have a priv without the amount they earn mattering.

The Priv card is a perk of the job and comes with terms and conditions, abuse these and get caught an all travel rights will lost by your parent.
I suggest rather than look to beat the system you purchase a legitimate rail card and use that.

As for your suggestion about more probs good luck getting that one in without the press having a field day

IanD

Established Member

Get a job that entitles you to one in your own right.

tsr

Established Member
There's a whole load of discounts and a number of different Railcard types, so I'm sure you can benefit from the system somehow, depending on where you live.

For example, I might use a Railcard (say 16-25), with its 34% discount, plus Southern's 12% discount on Off-Peak tickets. That's not too shoddy. I'm sure you also can find some money-off systems that don't cheat the system. Granted, it most likely won't be as good as the ATOC Priv discount.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I've been meaning to ask a question related to dependant travel for a while and this seems like a good opportunity to do so without opening a new thread.....

The limit for dependants (now £124.10 a week) is listed as a weekly total, what is the accounting period for this? ie. Is it averaged over the financial year or over a shorter period of time. So if I was to earn more than that in one week would I loose my priveledges or would I be able to make up for it by not working as much the next week?

The reason I ask is because I am at university and may be getting a job in the bar of a hall of residence, and the normal procedure is for it to be all-hands-to-the-pumps for the first few weeks after which it settles down considerably.
Working six shifts in freshers week takes me awfully close to the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.