• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATOC Priv cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I've always wandered how PRIV works with certain TOC travel. E.G: A member of EMT/SWT travelling on Virgin, because Stagecoach own a hefty share of Virgin Trains so do Virgin staff tend to let them travel for free?

Railway Family. Doesn't matter who you work for. Get yourself in 1st ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

loplop

I have a priv card. Wondering about one thing: if using it, I would rather buy on board so that the guard gets commission but I don't want them to think I'm trying to get a free ride when I'm honestly happy to pay and sometimes (virgin!) I can't find the guard before getting on at a station with no dwell time, so can't give them a heads up. Worried it might be awkward, especially when I often see virgin TMs not taking their avantix when they go on ticket checks.

I guess after writing all that out the obvious thing is to just buy before I travel and the guard loses the commission.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
As a fare paying passenger I have no objection to rail staff getting free travel although it does slightly grate seeing all the old BR now Network Rail staff getting in 1st class in the morning!

Alternatively maybe all fares should be heavily discounted as its daft I can buy a cheaper fare in advance than rail staff. However if travelling on a free ticket then I believe people should stand if there are fare paying passengers standing.

As others have said its not going to cost anything to give rail staff free or minimal cost travel as the trains are running anyway, and like the rest of us if the fare is expensive the staff will just drive anyway. In fact giving them minimal cost travel might benefit them as more staff would use the services generating revenue!

dk1

Veteran Member
I have a priv card. Wondering about one thing: if using it, I would rather buy on board so that the guard gets commission but I don't want them to think I'm trying to get a free ride when I'm honestly happy to pay and sometimes (virgin!) I can't find the guard before getting on at a station with no dwell time, so can't give them a heads up. Worried it might be awkward, especially when I often see virgin TMs not taking their avantix when they go on ticket checks.

I guess after writing all that out the obvious thing is to just buy before I travel and the guard loses the commission.

And then they say "what did you go & buy that for" <D

Pugwash

As a fare paying passenger I have no objection to rail staff getting free travel although it does slightly grate seeing all the old BR now Network Rail staff getting in 1st class in the morning!

Alternatively maybe all fares should be heavily discounted as its daft I can buy a cheaper fare in advance than rail staff. However if travelling on a free ticket then I believe people should stand if there are fare paying passengers standing.

As others have said its not going to cost anything to give rail staff free or minimal cost travel as the trains are running anyway, and like the rest of us if the fare is expensive the staff will just drive anyway. In fact giving them minimal cost travel might benefit them as more staff would use the services generating revenue!

I am surprised that the Tax Man has not cracked down on this as it would appear to be a taxable benefit.

If the trains are running anyway, why not give everyone free travel.

Muzer

Established Member
I was also referring to the legitimacy of the opinion - I don't believe he holds that opinion is what I mean ;)

AeroSpace

I am surprised that the Tax Man has not cracked down on this as it would appear to be a taxable benefit.

What makes you think it isn't being treated as a taxable benefit?

34D

Established Member

Believe it appears on a P11D (not sure though)

DJ737

G'day

I have wondered why they haven't yet replaced PRIV with a rail employee railcard enabling 33% off all tickets for all UK rail staff.

They could start off by issuing them to non-safeguarded staff for travel at anytime of day.

Safeguarded staff could be issued with one as well, but keep free travel boxes although they might have to increase the amount of free travel boxes to compensate as safeguarded staff will have to pay 66% of the anytime fare instead of 25%.

Just a thought

DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Northern1

I totally agree that the Priv system is unfair, I was an unlucky employee who started worked for the old Regional Railways on 7th April 1996 in my conductor training, and on receiving travel facilities I was only entitled to 75%Discount, where some former colleagues in the previous training group who started in early March that year received BR Free travel. I did check this on several occasions and was informed that the cut of date was 31/03/96 so by a single week I missed out!!!

However what I didn't know until recently is that a former staff member left Northern recently and went to work full time for a local heritage railway operation, and guess what receives National Rail priv travel by a BR Box card (Boxes all crossed out though)!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
However what I didn't know until recently is that a former staff member left Northern recently and went to work full time for a local heritage railway operation, and guess what receives National Rail priv travel by a BR Box card (Boxes all crossed out though)!
So the same as your TOC Priv Card. They get 75% off.

Haywain

Veteran Member
However, some PRIV fares are exceptionally good value, like Fort William to Glasgow at £6.85 single, a 3h 42m Journey! This shames the expensive VT/EC and XC flows with similar Journey times.
That's not really a fair comparison, is it? You get a hell of a lot further in 3h 42m on East Coast or Virgin than you do with Scotrail. On East Coast you can typically get around 300 miles from London, and it's similar with Virgin. Glasgow QS to Fort William is 122 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.