• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Class 150 passing Stafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Poole

i seen an video that one of my brothers had film and saw an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales) Class 150 passing through Stafford, he said it from Wolverhampton to Crewe, does anyone know the reason for the Class 150 going Via Stafford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
isnt that route shown on the ATW map or somthing? dont know of any ATW services going via that route.

MCR247

Established Member
I swear those to statements contradict eachother?

the sniper

Established Member
There was flooding between Shrewsbury and Wrexham yesterday, the line was closed between Chirk and Gobowen, I believe. Maybe this had something to do with it?

Further to what the OP's bother saw, I passed an ATW Cl.150 travelling on the Up Slow (I believe) between Crewe and Stafford while travelling on an LM 350 to BHM which left Crewe at 13:22. Thought it was odd at the time, though I put it down to the line closure between SHR and WRX.

isnt that route shown on the ATW map or somthing? dont know of any ATW services going via that route.

I think there are one or two early morning/late night ATW services which go up or down the WCML for route knowledge purposes, though don't hold me to this. ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
On the ATW homepage:

Buses replace trains between Wrexham General and Shrewsbury until further notice.

If you click through it states:

# Trains between Holyhead and Cardiff Central are being diverted between Chester and Shrewsbury via Crewe, not calling at Gobowen, Chirk, Ruabon & Wrexham General
# A shuttle train service is running between Chester and Wrexham General

richardjeeves

Youre right. it's on the route map but, i have just looked at the ATW timetables (1 and 4) but Stafford isn't mentioned anywhere except from the maps on the front pages.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Correct Ian.

ATW 0422 ex Chester to Birm New St St via Stafford daily

ATW 2255 ex New St to Holyhead via Stafford daily

VT 2020 Bangor to Birm New St via Stafford daily then on for service at Burton On Trent

VT 0530 New St to Holyhead via Stafford daily after service at Burton On Trent

Due to flooding some Holyhead Birmingham's went or returned via Stafford daytime, a few went via Nantwich to Shrewsbury, colleagues tell me.

Had the W/S still been running, they would have been sent via Crewe, ironic really me saying this now,

Bob

Last edited:

CheshirePaul

This will be due to the flooding between Shrewsbury and Wrexham.

While at Crewe Station yesterday a ATW 158 come from the Marches line through platform 11 and out on the Chester line, the 158 was empty and did not stop at Crewe.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
This will be due to the flooding between Shrewsbury and Wrexham.

While at Crewe Station yesterday a ATW 158 come from the Marches line through platform 11 and out on the Chester line, the 158 was empty and did not stop at Crewe.

from a colleague in the trade.

Line still shut due to problem with high water in the Dee at Cefn viaduct end quote.

Cefn Viaduct is between Ruabon & Chirk, flooding takes place every year on the Dee, I wonder why all the checking is taking place this time.Line is of course is not flooded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/panoramics/pages/cefn_viaduct.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/panoramics/pages/cefn_mawr.shtml

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
from a colleague in the trade.

Line still shut due to problem with high water in the Dee at Cefn viaduct end quote.

Cefn Viaduct is between Ruabon & Chirk, flooding takes place every year on the Dee, I wonder why all the checking is taking place this time.Line is of course is not flooded.

Similarly, flooding of the Conwy results in services to Blaenau Ffestiniog being bustituted for days at a time until flood waters recede enough to inspect railway bridges across the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.