• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW just called to say......

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlejo

.... they want me to attend next week for assesments.....

any pointers guys/gals, I've been working on the GB test, anything else I need to concentrate on.

ps..... I was shaking like a leaf when I was listening to my answerphone message.
cheers
Carlejo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eduardo

Try and keep calm under pressure matey.

If your shaking from listening to an answerphone message, then the assessments will send you potty. :lol:

Have a read back through the careers section. There are loads of helpful threads in relation to the recruitment criteria.

Best to do that rather than people re-post the same information.

Good luck my friend.

Withnailandi

Good luck with the assessment, if i can pass then so can anyone. Take a look at the scaat test and let us know how you get on.

carlejo

I've been practising the GB test for an hour a night for last few nights

just done this

Group-Bourdon Result Statistics
Saved on 26/03/2013 at 20:38:25
-------------------------------

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ None
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 1077
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.362
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.270

Completed Rows ------------- 41
Mean Row Time -------------- 9.096
Median Row Time ------------ 8.960

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 3.21

daddy_badger

Atw tend to use the gbt and i think the driver fault test, glop, trp and of course the structured interview. LAst time i went it was an all day event with the depot manager interview as well.

carlejo

I spoke to a guy from personnel today and he told me I'd be there next week from 0915 till approx 1500 hrs

Where can I find info on the tests you mentioned..... as I've said I have practised the GB test and I think I'm doing ok on that.......... I'd appreciate some help with other tests and how I locate/download them

Thanks
Carlejo

Nuttytoffee

There are plenty of examples contained within these forum walls and a quick google search should also bear fruit.

playmore64

I was hoping the title would read:

'ATW just called to say......we love you':lol:

Good luck buddy, it's going to be one hell of a long day:smile:

TDK

Established Member
I spoke to a guy from personnel today and he told me I'd be there next week from 0915 till approx 1500 hrs

Where can I find info on the tests you mentioned..... as I've said I have practised the GB test and I think I'm doing ok on that.......... I'd appreciate some help with other tests and how I locate/download them

Thanks
Carlejo

Yawn! Sorry fella but you really need to do the research yourself, somethimes practice does not help. Your above results for the GB test are fine just remember not to start off to fast. It is the interview and your location that is the most difficult!

carlejo

Yawn! Sorry fella but you really need to do the research yourself, somethimes practice does not help. Your above results for the GB test are fine just remember not to start off to fast. It is the interview and your location that is the most difficult!

Can you elaborate ?

They said at initial interview that course would start in May, no actual date given though.....

They've sent pre learning material examples of what to expect, so I'll be looking at it all weekend and getting any info from website I can....

I'll also be practising my interview by talking to myself or getting the Mrs to interview me with questions that may be asked

Cab2Cab

Can you elaborate ?

They said at initial interview that course would start in May, no actual date given though.....

They've sent pre learning material examples of what to expect, so I'll be looking at it all weekend and getting any info from website I can....

I'll also be practising my interview by talking to myself or getting the Mrs to interview me with questions that may be asked

Fork handles...........four candles!!!!

Carlejo! You have misinterpreted the reply from TDK!!

Think about it and read the reply again :(

carlejo

Fork handles...........four candles!!!!

Carlejo! You have misinterpreted the reply from TDK!!
Think about it and read the reply again :(

Mate... I'm miles away at the moment.... I don't know what he means, I've got a headfull of toys at the moment :)

TDK

Established Member
Mate... I'm miles away at the moment.... I don't know what he means, I've got a headfull of toys at the moment :)

The thing is fella, you ask for help on the Forum? It is already here in hundreds of posts, just search for the info you require this will get your brain working. What I was saying is: With loads of practice many people will pass the tests and this is why so many are going through to interview and this is why the interview is so important and the most difficult part of the assessment.

Some History. 13 1/2 years ago I went for the same tests and did not practice, there was not anything available and until I saw the GB test practice material I didn't even know what it was. 150 people took the assessments for 10 positions and by 12 midday there were 14 left and at the end of the reaction tests there were only 6 so the interview was a doddle as they didn't have enough passing the tests, some of these applicants were MDD drivers, guards and all sorts. Now in this day and age with all the info available from 100 applicants I would say 30 would pass this means people need to be weeded out at interview. The sole reason I passed all the tests is that I actually listened to the assessor, he said"we are looking for consistancy and accuracy on this test and if you omit any or make errors this will be taken off the score" So I thought, well, nothing about the amount there, I think I did about 1200 sells with no errors or mistakes, I could have done 1700 if I wanted but they wern't asking for 1700. The mechanical test the assessor said with these 40 questions your are timed, wrong answers do not go against you, I wanted to complete all 40 in the time so I went through all of them and marked the ones I knew were correct 100%, then through again and marked the ones that I tought were right, then through once more and guessed the rest, common sence stuff. I completed all 40 questions with time to double check.

The dials were straight forward and the glop was obvious what the questions were going to be by looking between the lines on the text I realised that they would ask perameters and numbers so memorised them. I am not insulting yours or anyone elses intelligence all I am saying is approach it clamly and do exactly what the assessor says.

This is why I keep harping on about folks using their own heads and doing stuff for themselves instead of trying to get it all on a plate.

To practice your interview you need to write some questions down and get someone independant, possible someone from the railway and get them to ask you the questions as they will know roughly what answers are needed.

As for the tests you really need to step back and look from the outside and calm yourself. Look at some of the people on here reporting they have failed the GB or the reactions test and see why they have, read the advice on this forum about how most people fail the tests and then you will not make the same mistakes.

Get rid of the headful of toys, concentrate on how you are going to answer the interview questions and I just hope you are no longer than 45 minutes from your chosen depot.

Good luck, concentrate on the task and not on the forum and you will increase your chances of being successful.

FlamTap

Some great advice from TDK there carlejo.

Especially...
... The sole reason I passed all the tests is that I actually listened to the assessor, he said"we are looking for consistancy and accuracy on this test and if you omit any or make errors this will be taken off the score" So I thought, well, nothing about the amount there, I think I did about 1200 sells with no errors or mistakes, I could have done 1700 if I wanted but they wern't asking for 1700.

carlejo

The thing is fella, you ask for help on the Forum? It is already here in hundreds of posts, just search for the info you require this will get your brain working. What I was saying is: With loads of practice many people will pass the tests and this is why so many are going through to interview and this is why the interview is so important and the most difficult part of the assessment.

Some History. 13 1/2 years ago I went for the same tests and did not practice, there was not anything available and until I saw the GB test practice material I didn't even know what it was. 150 people took the assessments for 10 positions and by 12 midday there were 14 left and at the end of the reaction tests there were only 6 so the interview was a doddle as they didn't have enough passing the tests, some of these applicants were MDD drivers, guards and all sorts. Now in this day and age with all the info available from 100 applicants I would say 30 would pass this means people need to be weeded out at interview. The sole reason I passed all the tests is that I actually listened to the assessor, he said"we are looking for consistancy and accuracy on this test and if you omit any or make errors this will be taken off the score" So I thought, well, nothing about the amount there, I think I did about 1200 sells with no errors or mistakes, I could have done 1700 if I wanted but they wern't asking for 1700. The mechanical test the assessor said with these 40 questions your are timed, wrong answers do not go against you, I wanted to complete all 40 in the time so I went through all of them and marked the ones I knew were correct 100%, then through again and marked the ones that I tought were right, then through once more and guessed the rest, common sence stuff. I completed all 40 questions with time to double check.

The dials were straight forward and the glop was obvious what the questions were going to be by looking between the lines on the text I realised that they would ask perameters and numbers so memorised them. I am not insulting yours or anyone elses intelligence all I am saying is approach it clamly and do exactly what the assessor says.

This is why I keep harping on about folks using their own heads and doing stuff for themselves instead of trying to get it all on a plate.

To practice your interview you need to write some questions down and get someone independant, possible someone from the railway and get them to ask you the questions as they will know roughly what answers are needed.

As for the tests you really need to step back and look from the outside and calm yourself. Look at some of the people on here reporting they have failed the GB or the reactions test and see why they have, read the advice on this forum about how most people fail the tests and then you will not make the same mistakes.

Get rid of the headful of toys, concentrate on how you are going to answer the interview questions and I just hope you are no longer than 45 minutes from your chosen depot.

Good luck, concentrate on the task and not on the forum and you will increase your chances of being successful.

Thankyou very much, the help really is appreciated

I have practised interview questions and I'm not saying for one second that I've got it cracked but I just wanted a bit of assistance with the tests, after all if I don't get passed them, I don't get to interview.

I'm 20 mins away from Cardiff central, where I'm told I would have to sign on.... and I live 500 yds from Newport train stn, so if I did want to use train transport to get me to work to save the car, I could........... car journey is 25 mins tops
cheers
Carlejo

TDK

Established Member
Thankyou very much, the help really is appreciated

I have practised interview questions and I'm not saying for one second that I've got it cracked but I just wanted a bit of assistance with the tests, after all if I don't get passed them, I don't get to interview.

I'm 20 mins away from Cardiff central, where I'm told I would have to sign on.... and I live 500 yds from Newport train stn, so if I did want to use train transport to get me to work to save the car, I could........... car journey is 25 mins tops
cheers
Carlejo

You loaction is fine - to be fair I do not feel that anyone should have "assistance" with the tests as the tests are there to test your ability on the qualities you need to become a train driver, if you cannot pass the tests on your own merit it means that you are not equiped to carry out the role - but unfortunaltely there is just too much practice material and also too many questions asked. I don't mind giving advice but I won't help anyone with actual tests as this should be down to the person taking them.

All you need to know about the tests is in my post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.