• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gtraincrew

Reading through from post 21 it looks as though it was wrongly reported as being done. First in traffic was 822 which is the one that made the papers.

Quite. People sometimes forget that when the 150s were new, they were regulars on services much longer than those they're generally diagrammed for today. Transpennine expresses and Birmingham to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli were 150 strongholds, and despite being new they weren't any better than today. In the case of the majority of the Welsh fleet, they were worse!

But from memory, weren't the Birmingham to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli services worked by Etches Park 150/1s and Transpennine services by 150/2s?

And didn't the 150/1s have seats arranged round bays when new, being changed to unidirectional at a later date? Good at the time - generally better than the first-generation DMUs they replaced

anamyd

On Moderation
Reading through from post 21 it looks as though it was wrongly reported as being done. First in traffic was 822 which is the one that made the papers.

When you saw 818, were the modifications present...?

anamyd

On Moderation
The 4th 158 is now done, and it actually is 158-818! (I thought it might be)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The 4th 158 is now done, and it actually is 158-818! (I thought it might be)
I think I saw 158818 at Wolverhampton yesterday (19th October) working the 14:43 to Aberystwyth alone. Almost needless to say, lots of us were left on the platform to squeese onto the following 15:25 West Midlands Railway stopper (also a 2-car and rammed with passengers who were unable to board the Cambrian service as well as its normal loading). After we finally got to Shrewsbury, I think I saw another short-formed Cambrian service (this one heading towards Birmingham) before boarding the 17:xx back into Wales (which, thankfully, was a 4-car as booked). At Talerddig (have I spelt that right?) we passed yet a third 2-car 158 (that may have been 158818 again, on its way back, but shouldn't that have had a portion from the Cambrian coast added?) Lots of short-forms, how many 158s are in the works for PRM mods right now?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think I saw 158818 at Wolverhampton yesterday (19th October) working the 14:43 to Aberystwyth alone. Almost needless to say, lots of us were left on the platform to squeese onto the following 15:25 West Midlands Railway stopper (also a 2-car and rammed with passengers who were unable to board the Cambrian service as well as its normal loading). After we finally got to Shrewsbury, I think I saw another short-formed Cambrian service (this one heading towards Birmingham) before boarding the 17:xx back into Wales (which, thankfully, was a 4-car as booked). At Talerddig (have I spelt that right?) we passed yet a third 2-car 158 (that may have been 158818 again, on its way back, but shouldn't that have had a portion from the Cambrian coast added?) Lots of short-forms, how many 158s are in the works for PRM mods right now?

Not sure of 158s away apart from 838 which has just gone (see up thread). But of 127 trains allocated TFW, 24 have been out of action at any one time this week due to Repairs, Routine Maintenance, away at Works for PRM Mods or otherwise and damage caused after hitting trees during the recent storm. 158s can be working elsewhere as TFW are working hand to mouth.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Not sure of 158s away apart from 838 which has just gone (see up thread). But of 127 trains allocated TFW, 24 have been out of action at any one time this week due to Repairs, Routine Maintenance, away at Works for PRM Mods or otherwise and damage caused after hitting trees during the recent storm. 158s can be working elsewhere as TFW are working hand to mouth.
So I cannot blame Friday's short-forms solely on the 15 year no-growth franchise meaning units have had to go for PRM mods with no cover. Did any 158s hit trees or are some of the short forms down to 158s being taken off the Cambrian to cover for other classes which have hit trees?

Either way, I guess there's no point writting letters of complaint; the current operator are in no way responsible for the weather or the 15 year no-growth franchise that went before.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
So I cannot blame Friday's short-forms solely on the 15 year no-growth franchise meaning units have had to go for PRM mods with no cover. Did any 158s hit trees or are some of the short forms down to 158s being taken off the Cambrian to cover for other classes which have hit trees?

Either way, I guess there's no point writting letters of complaint; the current operator are in no way responsible for the weather or the 15 year no-growth franchise that went before.

There are four main causes:-

(1) The no growth franchise in 2003
(2) Despite being warned about PRM in 2013, the Welsh Government only decided to do anything about it earlier this year as the new franchise was about to be announced.
(3) Free/debris damage which nobody can do anything about
(4) Leaf Fall season with units with square wheels out of service and having to go to wheel lathes for tyre turning. This, of course, is an annual event.

I don't know where 158s are working unit by unit because it is all part of the bigger picture.

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
Bit sudden I know but 150-285 is confusing me right now. There's the Flickr photo of it stripped out and down to the bare metal in late August, but I have it on my 150 list as spotted on the 5th of October but I would've noticed if it was a repainted / and-or modified unit...?! Anyone know the current state of it...?

anamyd

On Moderation
5 158s done, 19 158s to go! PRM modified 158-823 spotted at Wolverhampton of all places, on the 1142 Holyhead service!

Oh yeah - Fantastic full bilingual announcements from the conductor this morning on the 0830 Aberystwyth to Birmingham International service! (on the Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury section)

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Quite a list of TFW trains shown on Journey Check as pre-cancelled or truncated tomorrow due to shortage of units. Especially in West Wales and Blaenau Ffestiniog and with bustitution arranged. Some trips also between Cardiff and Cheltenham with XC Cardiff to Nottinghams making special stops.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but 175003 is in Transport for Wales colours and has a mainly white base with red and grey stripes. Looks like a giant Eton Mess!

Also had the joy of 143606 on the 1615 Maesteg to Cheltenham on Monday. Very busy service from Bridgend onwards and certainly not ideal.

Saw 142073 in the sidings at Canton feeling very sorry for itself. One end of it is covered in huge plastic and most of the windows and seats are missing.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but 175003 is in Transport for Wales colours and has a mainly white base with red and grey stripes. Looks like a giant Eton Mess!

Also had the joy of 143606 on the 1615 Maesteg to Cheltenham on Monday. Very busy service from Bridgend onwards and certainly not ideal.

Saw 142073 in the sidings at Canton feeling very sorry for itself. One end of it is covered in huge plastic and most of the windows and seats are missing.

Where have you bee Dan ?

All over this thread starting at #Post 807

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/keolis-amey-wales-future-rolling-stock.164954/page-27

170003 and 175107

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Quite a list of TFW trains shown on Journey Check as pre-cancelled or truncated tomorrow due to shortage of units. Especially in West Wales and Blaenau Ffestiniog and with bustitution arranged. Some trips also between Cardiff and Cheltenham with XC Cardiff to Nottinghams making special stops.
I'm planning to travel on the Ffestiniog line on Friday, hopefully they have a unit available then!

Status
Not open for further replies.