• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW to order Pacer Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

O L Leigh

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
one TN said:
...Something like a diesel version of the Cl376 with through corridors and geared for 75mph running might be a good compromise. Compatibility with existing Sprinter classes would be required to ensure flexibility, so a similar drivetrain and BSI autocouplers would be a must...one TN

Crikes! Great minds think alike! :lol: I was reading this last night and i was gonna reply saying a similar thing this morning!

2-car or 3-car units?? If they have 'metro' style interiors, then 2-car should be adiquite IMO. The current 100mph top speed of a Turbostar wouldnt be nessesary, so it should be regeared for a maximum of...75?, 80?? allowing it to cope with Stop/Start better.

Hi Fella!!

Could be either 2 or 3 cars, depending on what the TOC wanted.

I still think a 75mph top speed would be adequate for suburban/rural services. But I agree that the Cl170's more powerful engines (compared to, say, a Cl150) should be retained and the transmission regeared for a lower top speed. Combine that with a marginally lighter vehicle than the Cl170 and it should accelerate better than a Cl15X.

one TN

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds reasonable, although I'd equip them for 90mph running so they could work Maesteg to Gloucester stoppers. 158s certainly aren't suited to this sort of work, doesn't stop ATW using them on it! The 90mph would be used on Cardiff to Newport and Cardiff to West Wales, assuming they were put on such diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.