• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW to Rebrand Gerald Premier Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

berneyarms

Established Member
ATW did not inherit any, as for the new Manchester/North Wales loco services ATW want to shift people to and from work without any empty seats.
Anyhow I don't think the market is there for first in North Wales. The Fishguard specials are an extension of the three year trial, not as yet franchise on a regular basis.

Could I ask, exactly what your views on this service are? Reading through the lines, I do get the feeling that you have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about providing first class (and food) on this service (this is by no means a criticism, just trying to tease out what your opinion actually is)?

As I have posted a couple of times, it's all well and good reporting numbers at Wrexham, but really you can only judge it properly on the loadings leaving Newport in the evening, and leaving Shrewsbury in the morning. The appeal of first class is always likely to be greater in the evening, with the food offering, as people may have worked most of the day.

As Gareth has posted, it's quite true that in all likelihood the loadings do vary wildly from one day to the next, but that is rather inevitable when there is only one train in either direction offering first class on the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gaillark

ATW failed to market this service effectively. As others have said the WAG funds this train.
Arriva washed their hands of promoting and PROPER MARKETING siting its the WAG but the WAG also have failed to instruct ATW to market this service.
If there was just one person using the train, it would still run as WAG have funded it.
A shameful waste of public money and incompetence by ATW and WAG.

Turning to the service itself, ATW have failed so many times to advise that any passenger on-board could upgrade for a full meal service at a modest cost.

The on-board service is excellent and believe if proper marketing and promotion was carried out then we would not be having this discussion today.
Shame on Arriva Trains Wales and DB and the WAG for incompetence at the highest level. Perhaps the Directors and Elected Members should consider their positions.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
For a first post, that comes across as someone who would be against the Gerald, no matter what.
Why should ATW promote it? It isn't their train, they just run it.
Can WAG instruct them to do so?
Exactly why is it a waste? On what grounds?
How often have you used it, and between which stations?
Are you suggesting that all the Directors of ATW and all the AM's should resign just because you appear to have some political agenda against them?

6Gman

Established Member
ATW failed to market this service effectively. As others have said the WAG funds this train.
Arriva washed their hands of promoting and PROPER MARKETING siting its the WAG but the WAG also have failed to instruct ATW to market this service.
If there was just one person using the train, it would still run as WAG have funded it.
A shameful waste of public money and incompetence by ATW and WAG.

Turning to the service itself, ATW have failed so many times to advise that any passenger on-board could upgrade for a full meal service at a modest cost.

The on-board service is excellent and believe if proper marketing and promotion was carried out then we would not be having this discussion today.
Shame on Arriva Trains Wales and DB and the WAG for incompetence at the highest level. Perhaps the Directors and Elected Members should consider their positions.

It's only the chef who is being dispensed with!

Not the end of the world as we know it .... :)

Bakers1970

Hmmmmm think you will find that All the On Board crew including the Chef will remain in the future post Dec14... And quite rightly so!!:D

berneyarms

Established Member

I think you could be a little more diplomatic.

Two people are losing their jobs as a result of these changes.

That's not exactly nice for anyone.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Could I ask, exactly what your views on this service are? Reading through the lines, I do get the feeling that you have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about providing first class (and food) on this service (this is by no means a criticism, just trying to tease out what your opinion actually is)?

As I have posted a couple of times, it's all well and good reporting numbers at Wrexham, but really you can only judge it properly on the loadings leaving Newport in the evening, and leaving Shrewsbury in the morning. The appeal of first class is always likely to be greater in the evening, with the food offering, as people may have worked most of the day.

As Gareth has posted, it's quite true that in all likelihood the loadings do vary wildly from one day to the next, but that is rather inevitable when there is only one train in either direction offering first class on the route.

I have always suggested all that was required was a buffet service, akin to W/S, and my view is, has the train is totally paid for and run for Welsh Government has an open access service, during these times of Austerity it is my opinion free food should not be given away on this service,all should pay
If the service was run and paid for by ATW, be it open access or franchise,then free food on ATW would not bother me.
However it is my opinion no TOC on the Holyhead to Cardiff run would have started such a service.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hmmmmm think you will find that All the On Board crew including the Chef will remain in the future post Dec14... And quite rightly so!!:D

You have totally lost me on that statement,

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I have always suggested all that was required was a buffet service, akin to W/S, and my view is, has the train is totally paid for and run for Welsh Government has an open access service, during these times of Austerity it is my opinion free food should not be given away on this service,all should pay

That is an argument, I suppose, but first class ticket holders do pay in the price of their ticket (£222 first open return as opposed to £89.80 standard return from Bangor to Cardiff). It depends on what you feel is included in the extra cost!

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
That is an arguement, I suppose, but first class ticket holders do pay in the price of their ticket (£222 first open return as opposed to £89.80 standard return from Bangor to Cardiff). It depends on what you feel is included in the extra cost!

I still don't consider free food should be given on this specific service paid for by taxpayers, plus I get the feeling many pay far less than the figures you quote, by buying advance tickets, If you or your Company can afford £220, you can afford to buy a meal & remain in more comfortable surroundings, my opinion of course, if the service has I mentioned before was totally funded by the toc, It would not bother me.
A buffet is perfectly adequate.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I still don't consider free food should be given on this specific service paid for by taxpayers, plus I get the feeling many pay far less than the figures you quote, by buying advance tickets, If you or your Company can afford £220, you can afford to buy a meal & remain in more comfortable surroundings, my opinion of course, if the service has I mentioned before was totally funded by the toc, It would not bother me.
A buffet is perfectly adequate.

Well, comparative figures for advance tickets are £73/£39. I'm just curious as to what people expect from first class! One of the most popular threads is concerning the first class on East Coast. I rarely travel first class, only did it once when I was still working (as a treat - and paid the extra myself). Given the popularity of it on other routes, I wish it had been better marketed by WG and /or ATW, but I have said this some years ago and don't wish to cover old ground!

trainophile

Established Member
Advance fares are further discounted with a Railcard, and of course no-one has to travel the whole route to benefit from the catering.

I do feel rather guilty as we have greatly benefited in this way, to the extent that we could not have eaten so well in a restaurant for the price we paid on Gerald, which effectively made the train journey free. :oops:

Could have been more profitably priced, but seems it's too late now :( .

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I have to ask...what's the "Gerald" service?

As has been explained before in this thread, it is the loco hauled train that runs from North Wales to Cardiff in the morning, and returns in the evening.

At Shrewsbury tonight there were a dozen sat in First and more than 50 elsewhere!

And rumour has it that the Chef is staying!

Last edited:

extendedpaul

I recall during a Club 55 promotion about three years ago reading on the ATW website of the opportunity for a first class upgrade on this service. I think a "special" club 55 price was given, £25 or possibly less. I booked a travelodge room at Holyhead and bought a Club 55 ticket.

The conductor knew nothing about this offer and quoted a price about £50 to upgrade. I might have thought I'd imagined it but there were a lovely couple sitting opposite returning to Bangor from a day trip to Cardiff who'd seen the same advert.The conductor was very helpful and fetched an Arriva manager travelling on the same train who said she'd investigate. We all declined to pay £50 and were not offered any other way to dine on the train.

When i next checked there was no mention of this offer. I assume it was deemed inappropriate for some reason and quickly removed but I KNOW it was there for a few days at least.

I do think if there had been some marketing aimed at the leisure market the service might have done better and linking it to Club 55 must have been somebody's bright but doomed idea !

merlodlliw

Established Member
As has been explained before in this thread, it is the loco hauled train that runs from North Wales to Cardiff in the morning, and returns in the evening.

At Shrewsbury tonight there were a dozen sat in First and more than 50 elsewhere!

There are two mentions that the Chef is staying, first I have heard,I have asked my local AM to find out for me what is happening,ATW have made no announcement at all.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Well that's a change - he was telling me last week he was finishing at the timetable change!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I do think if there had been some marketing aimed at the leisure market the service might have done better and linking it to Club 55 must have been somebody's bright but doomed idea !

I did just that just after Gerald started running.
The guard issued me with an upgrade (£22 as I recall), but later he returned (as I was tucking in to breakfast) and said he shouldn't have upgraded me from a Club 55 ticket.
However, he did let me stay! That was when Club 55 with railcard was £13 too.

berneyarms

Established Member
Barry Doe writes about this topic in the new edition of RAIL.

He wasn't able to get a clear answer either!
Incidentally, Barry Doe and several other posters here don't seem to have realised that most evening main courses and breakfasts could be purchased at the buffet counter also by anyone in standard class.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Barry Doe writes about this topic in the new edition of RAIL.

He wasn't able to get a clear answer either!

Attended a rail meeting in Wrexham this afternoon,several politicians present, one told us Welsh Government Ministers can travel First Class, we have three in North East Wales, ordinary elected members must travel standard and pay for food. So much for Austerity.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Attended a rail meeting in Wrexham this afternoon,several politicians present,one told us Welsh Government Ministers can travel First Class, we have three in North East Wales, ordinary elected members must travel standard and pay for food. So much for Austerity.

It's about time ALL Government rail travel was Standard, just as it is for most business travellers these days.

Neil

merlodlliw

Established Member
It's about time ALL Government rail travel was Standard, just as it is for most business travellers these days.

Neil

It appears the embargo on Ministers not using First Class in Wales has been
relieved, this was news to us all at the meeting.
Suppose its cheaper than sending them home in a Ministerial car apiece, Cardiff Bay to Wrexham and Deeside

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

Neil

Is that really true? Seem to be a lot of business types in first on the Virgin train I' m on at the moment! It is easier to work in first, I'm sure!

AmeralGunson

Yes but why Gerald as opposed to Geoffry or Brian or Arthur or......

Bakers1970

There are two mentions that the Chef is staying, first I have heard,I have asked my local AM to find out for me what is happening,ATW have made no announcement at all.

As I mentioned previously.... Both Chefs will remain post December... Glad these guys will survive going forward.. Don't know exact details sorry

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Call me old fashioned but I don't think Government Ministers should slum it in standard.

merlodlliw

Established Member
As I mentioned previously.... Both Chefs will remain post December... Glad these guys will survive going forward.. Don't know exact details sorry

If this is correct, Welsh Government have found extra funding,not a word from RMT who claimed they were going.
It was only last week, reports were in these forums that-chefs to end on December 12th, catering staff staff were telling passengers this.
Is that really true? Seem to be a lot of business types in first on the Virgin train I' m on at the moment! It is easier to work in first, I'm sure!

VT run has a franchise service and provide a First Class service to London and other key Cities where business people want to go, Holyhead to Cardiff is not top of the business list,

It would be interesting to know your source for this, Catering staff/ATW/RMT,
a rough idea would do.
Yes but why Gerald as opposed to Geoffry or Brian or Arthur or......

The service has had many nick names, It started perhaps from me as the WAG EXPRESS during class 53 traction, it has now settled to "Gerald" has explained
by Llanigraham.

Welsh can indeed be confusing to non Welsh Speakers due to the many mutations,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.