• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Recruiting for talent pools. Chester, Holyhead and Shrewsbury.

Good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SAlty

Much appreciated. Does anyone know if ATW accept 'relocators' or do you have to live within the hour commute already? Thanks

martin2345uk

Established Member
Applied; but what a terrible application website they have! And once I submit, it just took me back to the first page with all the information I'd entered missing, I had no indication the application had submitted successfully until I got a confirmation email a few minutes later!

SquarePeg

Hi all, a bit of advice would be appreciated please: I currently live in South Wales but I have family within an hour of one of the locations. I’d relocate if successful, so what’s the best way of demonstrating that on the application? I’m guessing if I put my current address then I’m not going to make the sift as I’m nearly 3 hours away as things stand.

Termy

I'm assuming you can only apply for one position

I am not actually sure what ATW's policy on this one, sorry. :(

Hi all, a bit of advice would be appreciated please: I currently live in South Wales but I have family within an hour of one of the locations. I’d relocate if successful, so what’s the best way of demonstrating that on the application? I’m guessing if I put my current address then I’m not going to make the sift as I’m nearly 3 hours away as things stand.

When I applied for East Midlands Trains up in Derby recently, there was a space for noting down any reasonable adjustments that might be made. I stated that I had a residence immediately available in this space (as well as my Asperger's) and got past EMT's sift. ATW also used to have space for a cover letter, not sure whether this still exists on the new website. Might be worth mentioning it on there if it is!

SquarePeg

I am not actually sure what ATW's policy on this one, sorry. :(

When I applied for East Midlands Trains up in Derby recently, there was a space for noting down any reasonable adjustments that might be made. I stated that I had a residence immediately available in this space (as well as my Asperger's) and got past EMT's sift. ATW also used to have space for a cover letter, not sure whether this still exists on the new website. Might be worth mentioning it on there if it is!

Thank you very much - got an email from recruitment to say the recruiting manager won't see my address initially. They did say though I can mention it in my personal statement, so I did.

Dan61

I applied for Shrewsbury so wait and see..Ive already passed some tests with London Midlands in March 18 so hoping they can transfer my score across which passed the enhanced the pass mark. that's if I pass the application stage lol.
Be interesting though as Arriva Wales haven't got the contract from Oct 18. KeliosAmey have won it so hopefully this wont impact recruitment

Knudson

Surprised I didn't get a job alert about this one. Applied to Shrewsbury as a fresh start. Good luck, all.

craigybagel

Established Member
Surprised I didn't get a job alert about this one. Applied to Shrewsbury as a fresh start. Good luck, all.

As you know doubt noticed, the website has changed. As a result, you'll need to set up your job notifications from scratch, the ones you had on the old site won't work any more.

Island Dave

Do internal applications have more chance or opportunity in applying or is this pretty even odds?

TeaTrain

Internal candidates will automatically score maximum points on certain categories that Arriva mark on. For instance customer service (depending on your current role).

However it doesn’t necessarily mean you have an advantage no. As someone from the street could demonstrate those same abilities and score maximum points too.

Perhaps where an internal candidate may have a slight edge is simply being able to chat to other drivers and gain a more thourough feedback from the driver manager on event of previous failures etc. At least this is how it was when I was there.

At the end of the day anyone can research and prepare for the interview and tests. I believe it to be a level playing field overall.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Internal candidates will automatically score maximum points on certain categories that Arriva mark on. For instance customer service (depending on your current role).

However it doesn’t necessarily mean you have an advantage no. As someone from the street could demonstrate those same abilities and score maximum points too.

Perhaps where an internal candidate may have a slight edge is simply being able to chat to other drivers and gain a more thourough feedback from the driver manager on event of previous failures etc. At least this is how it was when I was there.

At the end of the day anyone can research and prepare for the interview and tests. I believe it to be a level playing field overall.

It's a shame it's that way around. At my TOC, Internals, if they pass everything, are always ranked above Externals - worst performing Internal sits above the highest performing External. I think that's how it should be. Rewards the loyalty of current employees

TeaTrain

I understand where your coming from about loyalty...but if a worse performing internal candidate scores 5 and an external scores a perfect 10 then surely in the interest of safety and ability to do the job you would pick the external candidate?
Just because you already work for the TOC it doesn't mean you are able to do the job better than someone else. You said so yourself the worst performing internal...by possibly scraping through would be given the job. Surely that is a recipe for disaster?

I don't mean to cause an argument of course. I myself have been both an internal and external candidate!

Claudius

Same, nothing as yet. I thought it was a short turnaround from the dateclosing of the application to the phone interviews given the number of applications they’re going to receive.

Best of luck to all those that applied

Status
Not open for further replies.