• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

Snow1964

Established Member
It is very similar to Paddington to Reading/Oxford stopping services though
Tend to be used much more intensively without much of a midday lull (in Network South East days regularly about half fleet was parked up between peaks and from mid evening)

Many now seem to be diagrammed nearer 16 hours a day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That's what they did for over 20 years, I don't see why it's an issue now
Spare parts become harder to source or manufacture as time goes on, leading to stock sat out-of-use for longer periods of time as they await repair. Not necessarily a problem of the Turbo fleet, but a lot of 1990s-designed things are filled with the sort of technology that is particularly hard to replace as they are sandwiched between simpler electro-mechanical controls that predate that era, but come before the development of fully computer-dependent systems where things like software upgrades can be easily applied.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That's what they did for over 20 years, I don't see why it's an issue now

You don't tend to keep your car for 20 years. Trains reaching 30+ years old are getting towards end of life and spare parts become harder to procure.

smithy_37688

166206 returned last night on 5Q81 from Doncaster.

5Q23 path to Doncaster from SPM in this afternoon.

Any idea what unit maybe going next please?
Many Thanks !

CR165022

3973EXL

Established Member

Train Boy

I imagine 5Q70 can only be 166205 (branded / refreshed at the GWR launch). The other three for the programme (206, 216 & 220) are allocated.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They will do in due course but the units of greater priority to replace will be the 150s and 158s as they are older and suffer with greater corrosion.
While that makes sense for the steel 150s, what is the relative level of corrosion on the 158s and 16x units? Both are of welded aluminium construction. Does two extra years of operation make a difference?

fgwrich

Established Member
While that makes sense for the steel 150s, what is the relative level of corrosion on the 158s and 16x units? Both are of welded aluminium construction. Does two extra years of operation make a difference?
Possibly, possibly not. We’ve seen with some newer Ally fleets that they aren’t immune to corrosion issues (the normally bomb proof AC Desiro’s in the Pan Wells while the electrostars seem to be bodywide - Though at least the construction of the Turbos will aide them being welded Ally than Bolted). As for the level of corrosion itself, that I can’t tell you off of the top of my head, but the 158s seem to have fared better than the Turbos in that regard I believe.

northernbelle

They will do in due course but the units of greater priority to replace will be the 150s and 158s as they are older and suffer with greater corrosion.
The 150s will be the first to be run down, likely before the end of the decade. The 158s and 16x will have to continue until their replacements arrive into the 2030s.