• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Availability of accessible rail replacement coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken70

The last Piccadilly RR non stop journey to Sheffield that I made was via M67, A57 EASTBOUND, Woodhead Pass A628, M1 to Sheffield via A57 WESTBOUND along the Parkway. Journey time 2hrs and 35 minutes.

I'm not sure how your journey took 2hrs 35 minutes. My route was via A6, Stockport Station, M67, Woodhead Pass A628 then Stocksbridge bypass to the M1, 1 junction down and into Meadowhall (Yes one got off as I passed anyway) and then onto Sheffield. 1hr's 30-45 mins something like that. Before anyone mentions it that night the Snake pass route was closed for roadworks.

Maybe get back on topic regarding the lack of vehicles. An operator local to me whom operates coaches (Non PSVAR) and also disabled accessibility minibuses has mentioned that it will be able to run the coach and have the minibus follow it along its journey and this provides at least 3 wheelchairs per service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
An operator local to me whom operates coaches (Non PSVAR) and also disabled accessibility minibuses has mentioned that it will be able to run the coach and have the minibus follow it along its journey and this provides at least 3 wheelchairs per service.

im not sure if this is true, however it should be considered that when Routemasters continued to run in London they were duplicated by a psvar vehicle with similar capacity.

unlevel42

I'm not sure how your journey took 2hrs 35 minutes. My route was via A6, Stockport Station, M67, Woodhead Pass A628 then Stocksbridge bypass to the M1, 1 junction down and into Meadowhall (Yes one got off as I passed anyway) and then onto Sheffield. 1hr's 30-45 mins something like that. Before anyone mentions it that night the Snake pass route was closed for roadworks.

Maybe get back on topic regarding the lack of vehicles. An operator local to me whom operates coaches (Non PSVAR) and also disabled accessibility minibuses has mentioned that it will be able to run the coach and have the minibus follow it along its journey and this provides at least 3 wheelchairs per service.
Probably because the coaches went different ways-via Jn 35a and J33 on the M1, and getting lost and then stuck in the Taxi drop off at Midland.

Ian Hardy

im not sure if this is true, however it should be considered that when Routemasters continued to run in London they were duplicated by a psvar vehicle with similar capacity.
No this incorrect. What happened was that TfL introduced additional bus routes so that all roads served by Routemasters were also covered by services operated by low floor buses. e.g. 414 which paralleled the RM route 14 between Putney Bridge and Hyde Park Corner; 436 which paralleled the RM 36 between New Cross & Paddington & 476 which paralleled the RM operated 73 between Euston & Stoke Newington.

The last road served solely by Routemasters was a 700 metre section of the New Kings Road between Peterborough Road & Wandsworth Bridge Road near Parsons Green on route 22 which lasted until the 22 was converted to low floor buses on 22/07/2005.

When the heritage RM routes were being planned it was decreed that the routes had to be sections of other low floor routes and must not create any new links, so that wheelchair users were not discriminated against by not being able to use them. When the RMs were reintroduced on 12/11/2005 they operated on short sections of the 9 & 15 routes. On the 9 between Aldwych & the Royal Albert Hall (the low floor buses on the 9 ran from Aldwych to Hammersmith) & on the 15 between Trafalgar Square & Tower Hill (the low floor on the 15 ran from Paddington Station to Blackwall DLR station).

RT4038

Established Member
No this incorrect. What happened was that TfL introduced additional bus routes so that all roads served by Routemasters were also covered by services operated by low floor buses. e.g. 414 which paralleled the RM route 14 between Putney Bridge and Hyde Park Corner; 436 which paralleled the RM 36 between New Cross & Paddington & 476 which paralleled the RM operated 73 between Euston & Stoke Newington.

The last road served solely by Routemasters was a 700 metre section of the New Kings Road between Peterborough Road & Wandsworth Bridge Road near Parsons Green on route 22 which lasted until the 22 was converted to low floor buses on 22/07/2005.

When the heritage RM routes were being planned it was decreed that the routes had to be sections of other low floor routes and must not create any new links, so that wheelchair users were not discriminated against by not being able to use them. When the RMs were reintroduced on 12/11/2005 they operated on short sections of the 9 & 15 routes. On the 9 between Aldwych & the Royal Albert Hall (the low floor buses on the 9 ran from Aldwych to Hammersmith) & on the 15 between Trafalgar Square & Tower Hill (the low floor on the 15 ran from Paddington Station to Blackwall DLR station).

This was TfL policy rather than any legal requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.