• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

TK.

Hello all,
Can anyone advise, I am starting to really worry over "Driver Priorities" question.
Does anyone know if it is pass/fail or would each individual response have a point value..? If that makes sense..

Generally how does everyone feel with the answers they gave to the driving tasks and non technical skills questions? I feel as though I gave good answers, although all the possible answers you could have given were important so it's difficult to judge
Literally just posted a similar msg. Starting to rethink and overthink it all :'(
Ita going to be a long wait...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pmc88

Hello all,
Can anyone advise, I am starting to really worry over "Driver Priorities" question.
Does anyone know if it is pass/fail or would each individual response have a point value..? If that makes sense..

Literally just posted a similar msg. Starting to rethink and overthink it all :(
I think I just answered the 3 least for NTS and not in order of what was the least important :'(
Hey, my interpretation was you pick the top 3 and worst 3 but also put them in order.

So choice 1 being the most important more so than choice 2 more so than choice 3 etc. Same for the worst.

It was tricky as most of the tasks are what you would expect from a driver.

Well, OPC assessments completed this morning. Similar to most I reckon they took about 60-70mins, with a bit of wandering around time in between sections. On the whole I'd like to think that I've answered pretty well, but given the questions/answers are based around you as an individual who knows!! I'd love the opportunity to discuss and expand on answers and my reasoning and time will tell on that I suppose.

I applied for both Manchester & Liverpool and I definitely live within the 60mins of them both. I only had 1 e-mail invitation so hopefully 1 set of assessments are used for both applications. If not, I have no idea which application warranted the invite to assessments!

For now, its a case of putting it all to the back of my mind and hoping that the wait to hear is a matter of weeks rather than months...or not at all.
I spoke with the recruiters over email about Manchester and Liverpool before applying. They advised me to only apply for one because if your close enough to both they would consider you for both sites in one application. Hope that eases your mind.

TK.

Hey, my interpretation was you pick the top 3 and worst 3 but also put them in order.

So choice 1 being the most important more so than choice 2 more so than choice 3 etc. Same for the worst.

It was tricky as most of the tasks are what you would expect from a driver.

I spoke with the recruiters over email about Manchester and Liverpool before applying. They advised me to only apply for one because if your close enough to both they would consider you for both sites in one application. Hope that eases your mind.
Yeah, I'm just thinking back and panicking that I didn't do that :(
Think that's pass/fail..?

Yeah recruitment also advised me the same re applications, could be considered for either ...
Fingers crossed!!!

pmc88

Yeah, I'm just thinking back and panicking that I didn't do that :(
Think that's pass/fail..?

Yeah recruitment also advised me the same re applications, could be considered for either ...
Fingers crossed!!!
It was my first time applying mate so I couldn't really say whether it will impact. I imagine it will depend on what you picked.

It could be that the 3 you picked were all sort of on par with each other in which case I see no reason to fail you based on the order.

Hello all,

Literally just posted a similar msg. Starting to rethink and overthink it all :(
I think I just answered the 3 least for NTS and not in order of what was the least important :'(
I personally wouldn't worry about it mate. It didn't ask you to order them like it did with some other questions. I did try to order them the best I could just incase but at the end of the day it didn't ask for a pecking order. Don't over think it bud.

Choochoos84

First time caller long time reader. What’s usually the time frame for hearing if you have passed the first lot of tests?

GPR

Can people who are thinking about asking a question in this thread actually read the thread before adding to it please.
A lot of questions have been answered already in the 14 pages that there are, sometimes more than once.

Gc85

New here done my tests yesterday seemed pretty straight forward and it’s just down to you as a person and what you see as important for the role.

Feel I done pretty good but you never know what they are looking for so good luck to all.

I’ve applied for Polmadie. If I hear back I’ll be sure to let you all know.

Bazzzzz

Does anyone have any information regarding what the training programme would look like if successful with Avanti? I recently applied for Edinburgh and have done the tests, but it never really occurred to me that the training probably won’t be based in Edinburgh until now. I have a young family, and depending on this answer this might be the end of the road for me right now. I have tried to source information online but I cannot seem to get detailed information about the training process anywhere.

Additionally I came across an article while looking for the adobe information which said……

Avanti West Coast has launched a recruitment campaign as they look to recruit 40 new train drivers across the country.
The operator is looking to recruit 40 new Train Drivers in 2022 at various locations across the UK.
As part of the campaign Avanti West Coast are encouraging more women to consider the role as a realistic career path.
Applications for the first ten posts opened earlier this month.

Would that be correct? Only 40 positions available nationwide???

Jayleeruss

Does anyone have any information regarding what the training programme would look like if successful with Avanti? I recently applied for Edinburgh and have done the tests, but it never really occurred to me that the training probably won’t be based in Edinburgh until now. I have a young family, and depending on this answer this might be the end of the road for me right now. I have tried to source information online but I cannot seem to get detailed information about the training process anywhere.

Additionally I came across an article while looking for the adobe information which said……

Avanti West Coast has launched a recruitment campaign as they look to recruit 40 new train drivers across the country.
The operator is looking to recruit 40 new Train Drivers in 2022 at various locations across the UK.
As part of the campaign Avanti West Coast are encouraging more women to consider the role as a realistic career path.

Ouch, only 40?! I wish I hadn’t read that :(
In regards to your family, my friend got offered the job recently and yeah for four months you’re based in Crewe or Glasgow (earlier in this thread someone said they help you find accommodation and pay for it but idk how true that may be). When I did my training as a guard I wasn’t offered any accommodation but maybe that’s because the training was only 40miles from my depot. I know in the interviews in person they actually asked my mate if he’s prepared to have to leave his family, and what their thoughts on the situation are. He just told them he’s willing to sacrifice being away from family and they were all very supportive. Deffo worth thinking about!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
i heard avanti might loose its franchise, if so what would happen to us??
Current staff would transfer to the new company under TUPE, unlikely to be any change to current recruitment. As has happened with many change in franchises over the years

Sorcerer

Ouch, only 40?! I wish I hadn’t read that :(
That was as of last year in January before they began having issues with driver shortages in the summer. I think if all they really needed was 40 they wouldn't have such a wide external recruitment campaign twice in the space of six months. Some depots are bigger than others of course.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

Initial rules training is done either at Crewe or Glasgow and is done Monday to Friday. Accommodation is provided if required, and lasts for around 16 weeks.
After that you'll be at your base depot to do traction and other training.

Rules is very intense and you will need to dedicate some learning time in your own time too. This won't be easy with a young family, but if you really want the job, it's something you need to consider.

I find the shift work quite difficult with a young family as I have to rely on my partner for the majority of the childcare.

That article says 40 positions in 2022, so that must be last Autumn's intake.

Jayleeruss

That was as of last year in January before they began having issues with driver shortages in the summer. I think if all they really needed was 40 they wouldn't have such a wide external recruitment campaign twice in the space of six months. Some depots are bigger than others of course.
The driver shortages began around summer of last year, so the October recruitment already had that in mind. I’m hoping the issues gotten progressively worse (for our benefit ofc). I’m sure they’d recruit as many people they believe are suited to the job, not the amount they necessarily need at the moment. I reckon any surplus successful applicants would just be left in the talent pool, considering some tocs look for new applicants before they even need any and throw them all into a talent pool for the future.
Either way I guess we’ll find out soon enough :)

Harvinder

Good evening all,
Any update on the online tests? When would I expect the results?

Harvinder

Unrelated but I also applied for a tram driver at First Group, its been three months and i email them a couple of times. They said its with the hiring manager for review!! Three months with the manager!!

It’ll say on your email bud, next to the names of the exams. For most people it’s today or tomorrow :)
Thanks mate, it doesn't seem to show on mine, will see this week what happens!

Mana

Unrelated but I also applied for a tram driver at First Group, its been three months and i email them a couple of times. They said its with the hiring manager for review!! Three months with the manager!!

Thanks mate, it doesn't seem to show on mine, will see this week what happens!
I sent my application to Euston and Manchester, no location on my email either

Bd27

Done my opc tests tonight after work. Seemed to go well. Easier than I expected - so don’t know if that’s a good thing or not . Good luck to all. Have applied to Polmadie.

I went down the rules are the rules approach, no exemptions because of seniority. Time will tell if that was right hahah
Yh agreed. No pass for the boss. Rules there for a safety reason.

LarryBD

Regarding the OPC tests, I completed mine tonight (Polmadie). Upon completion of the SJT, which I left until last, I finished the test and was only given the option to logout. I tried to log back in just to see and confirm that all assessments were complete and the message now reads

There are no tests currently assigned to you.

Is anyone else getting this? I assume it's just the default message that you are done and dusted with this round of tests, I just wanted to confirm it wasn't some sort of glitch as these things make me nervous. I just want to know my tests have been submitted successfully.

Cheers