• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

ayaz2001

Regarding the OPC tests, I completed mine tonight (Polmadie). Upon completion of the SJT, which I left until last, I finished the test and was only given the option to logout. I tried to log back in just to see and confirm that all assessments were complete and the message now reads

There are no tests currently assigned to you.

Is anyone else getting this? I assume it's just the default message that you are done and dusted with this round of tests, I just wanted to confirm it wasn't some sort of glitch as these things make me nervous. I just want to know my tests have been submitted successfully.

Cheers
yeah i had the same thing as well as other people

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan5324

On Moderation
Regarding the OPC tests, I completed mine tonight (Polmadie). Upon completion of the SJT, which I left until last, I finished the test and was only given the option to logout. I tried to log back in just to see and confirm that all assessments were complete and the message now reads

Is anyone else getting this? I assume it's just the default message that you are done and dusted with this round of tests, I just wanted to confirm it wasn't some sort of glitch as these things make me nervous. I just want to know my tests have been submitted successfully.

Cheers
It is not a glitch. That is supposed to happen. You’ve completed all tests assigned to you. No further ones are assigned, hence the messsge.

Sorcerer

Cheers
You're fine. It's basically just a way of saying that you've completed all the required tests assigned to you previously and that there are no more for now. Now it's just a matter of playing the waiting game.

Bd27

Has anyone any idea if the next stage is online or in person? And if it’s in person how much notice there is to try and get time off work if it’s short notice?

kajojek3232

Has anyone any idea if the next stage is online or in person? And if it’s in person how much notice there is to try and get time off work if it’s short notice?
Next stage is online. Stage after that is in Crewe and they tend to give you around 2 weeks notice.

Bjynwa

Well, OPC assessments completed this morning. Similar to most I reckon they took about 60-70mins, with a bit of wandering around time in between sections. On the whole I'd like to think that I've answered pretty well, but given the questions/answers are based around you as an individual who knows!! I'd love the opportunity to discuss and expand on answers and my reasoning and time will tell on that I suppose.

I applied for both Manchester & Liverpool and I definitely live within the 60mins of them both. I only had 1 e-mail invitation so hopefully 1 set of assessments are used for both applications. If not, I have no idea which application warranted the invite to assessments!

For now, its a case of putting it all to the back of my mind and hoping that the wait to hear is a matter of weeks rather than months...or not at all.
I applied to Liverpool and Manchester too and got two emails, the login was the same on both emails though.

Stephanie92

I’ve just completed the online assessments. Feeling anxious now - that was scary! Does anyone have a rough idea how soon we’ll hear back after the deadline? (mine was 1700 today)

JohnL93

Hi guys, I’m very confused as I keep hearing people mention a talent bank? When I seen the advertisement for the job with Avanti it had no mention of going into a talent bank? My idea was that if you pass every stage you are offered the job? Can someone shed any clarity or this please? Thanks

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Hi guys, I’m very confused as I keep hearing people mention a talent bank? When I seen the advertisement for the job with Avanti it had no mention of going into a talent bank? My idea was that if you pass every stage you are offered the job? Can someone shed any clarity or this please? Thanks
Almost all TOCs use Talent Banks from my experience. You may be offered a job straight away but there's highly likely to be more people who pass all stages than roles, so they keep extras in a talent pool until required (or not as can happen).

Also, they may be recruiting for roles that's aren't vacant yet (expansion of depots/retirement planning etc)

nolypops83

Everyone goes in the talent bank as far as I’m aware. You might only be in it for days or it could be months. This isn’t unusual in the rail industry. Basically, be prepared for the whole recruitment process to take a while.

SuperS16v

On the recruitment page on their website it says if you’re successful at the DMI (Stage 5) individuals will enter the talent bank. It’s pretty much the same with every TOC.

Depending on the depot you may be in for a long wait. You have to remember there was a recruitment drive at the end of last year that is still in progress. These applicants will be ahead of us by a long way.

JohnL93

On the recruitment page on their website it says if you’re successful at the DMI (Stage 5) individuals will enter the talent bank. It’s pretty much the same with every TOC.

Depending on the depot you may be in for a long wait. You have to remember there was a recruitment drive at the end of last year that is still in progress. These applicants will be ahead of us by a long way.
Hi, yes I have seen where it says this on the actual recruitment FAQ’s but surely it should make you aware on the advertisement that in fact you are being put into a talent Bank rather than actually getting the job? There are vacancies up at the moment for example a trainee train manager ( Talent Bank). But when the Avanti trainee train driver role was advertised it did not say ( Talent Bank) next to the role. That’s why I was confused but so be it if that’s the case. In my opinion looks as though they are on a massive recruitment drive with multiple drivers wanted.

chiaurato

In the FAQ section it mentions the below about the 2 lives and enhanced tests;

“The only exception being that Avanti and several other train operators use enhanced standards on assessments whereas others operate what is called RSSB standard which is the minimum set by the Rail Standards Board. Individuals can sometimes pass to the RSSB standard but not Avanti Standard. On these occasions if they pass to RSSB standard but not Avanti they use up a lifetime attempt for Avanti but not others that operate RSSB Standard.”

So I emailed recruitment for some clarification as I failed a test on two occasions with a FOC who had enhanced pass marks, but I passed everything to RSSB standard. My question was do these 2 lost enhanced lives with the FOC, only rule me out with that particular FOC, or with any FOC / TOC, that have enhanced pass marks. They got back to me saying they couldn’t answer that and would have to check with the OPC.

Have any of you guys been in a similar situation?
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. Failed at 2, but the second was at a advanced level. I am hoping that this will be excepted by Avanti West. I also had the online assessment, to be completed by the 13th.

Brownbear187

Jan 22 applicant successfully made the talent pool in Jan 23, I'm expecting to be waiting a while - just what it is

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Jan 22 applicant successfully made the talent pool in Jan 23, I'm expecting to be waiting a while - just what it is
Yet on the flip side, I know a couple of former colleagues who were in that recruitment who've finished the 16 weeks already and onto route learning now

Fran1878

I’ve just completed the online assessments. Feeling anxious now - that was scary! Does anyone have a rough idea how soon we’ll hear back after the deadline? (mine was 1700 today)
I think someone said earlier in this post expect to hear within two weeks of each sections deadline, but I might be mistaken!

IH73

Just noticed a post on LinkedIn that says 1500 women have applied for these positions so far which is record breaking! Good to see the campaign at diversifying the driver pool has paid off but makes you wonder how many have applied in total and how big a task the sift is!

GPR

Expect it to take a while and if it’s any quicker then it’s good news.
With the October recruitment drive someone started their course this week.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Just noticed a post on LinkedIn that says 1500 women have applied for these positions so far which is record breaking! Good to see the campaign at diversifying the driver pool has paid off but makes you wonder how many have applied in total and how big a task the sift is!
And also whether gender is being sifted to improve numbers....I always put prefer not to say just in case

SuperS16v

And also whether gender is being sifted to improve numbers....I always put prefer not to say just in case

Reading their recruitment campaign makes you think so, but if it was the case it would be positive discrimination and I doubt they want that sort of attention.

As with any job applications they should hire the best person for the job regardless of gender, race, religion etc.