• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

jdwmfc

2. And recently I recently asked an OPC assessor some Avanti questions at my current TOC. (They've been doing paper assessments for trainees and depot drivers this week and last week) so I sneaked in whilst she was setting up for the afternoon session.
This is exactly what I would do, haha

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Penny

1. Went i went through this process myself I asked the lady at the end of my CBI how this entire process works and asked about what role Avanti play in the process.

2. And recently I recently asked an OPC assessor some Avanti questions at my current TOC. (They've been doing paper assessments for trainees and depot drivers this week and last week) so I sneaked in whilst she was setting up for the afternoon session.
What exactly do you do? Are you waiting for a place on a course or are you a driver with another TOC?

Chippychips

What exactly do you do? Are you waiting for a place on a course or are you a driver with another TOC?
Both. Im a trainee driver for a TOC, but also waiting for a course with another TOC(s) whom I'm in talent pools for.

I haven't done my 225 hours yet so im still "unlicenced".

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Good evening all,

I appreciate some of you are nervous and anxious about what might be a life-changing opportunity. This passion and interest has sometimes led to some remarks and posts which have become somewhat confrontational at times in this thread. Please do remember that trainee driver adverts always take time to process and there are thousands of applicants involved. Please do try to be patient - posting about it isn't going to make it go quicker. Many of you are in the same situation and I ask that you please respect each other and the forum rules going forward. Anyone that has any concerns can use the "Report" function on a post if they feel it isn't in line with these rules.

Thank you.

nolypops83

I have been reading both main threads on this site.
I completely understand why people might be worried and uncertain.
Based on the October intake it looked like there were lots of initial passes then people started to get rejection letters. (The same has happened here) Then a lot of the thread after that is talk of the next stage. I browsed a few more posts but there wasn't any obvious mention of people then being accepted. I am sure there must have been, but most of the talk was of the next two assessments. From that it would be easy to conclude that if you haven't heard back within that time then you have probably not been successful.

I have applied for a fair few jobs using online sifts like this and usually there is a timescale for replying. Most say within 10 working days etc. It seems like a common courtesy to do this for applicants.
There are other online applications that have people on hold for months on end before replying, which isn't how any professional organisation should run.

A few thoughts on what might be happening based on my prior experience with other jobs.

First of all it is an online electronic assessment which means they can have instant results.
So people are obviously now wondering why they can't know straight away.
There are many reasons for this. It could be that those already informed of the next stage were high alignment candidates which means they passed an upper limit on the bar and were automatically selected for the next stage. Others may have had an immediate rejection based on not having enough alignment.

The remaining candidates could now be going through an ongoing sift to see where they stand against the rest of the cohort and previous assessment levels. Decisions are usually then made on a 1 by 1 basis. At the same time the next stage is monitored and if not enough candidates are passing to move onto the further stages they will invite then next level of aligned candidates.

This goes on until enough people have passed the next two tests. The remaining candidates may then be informed they haven't been successful.

One application I put in had over 5000 in the first sift, 2000 in the second, 800 in the third, I believe the 4th was 200. They have to draw the line somewhere.

It could also be that they are doing the process by the order people have taken the tests but I can't see a pattern that would suggest this.

Anyway i have had two emails today to say that i have the 28 day wait for my depots which was interesting because although i applied to more than one I only got one invite to OPC. It had me wondering if some people had actually created 2 accounts to apply to multiple depots which was why they had multiple invites to the OPC.
Feel free to completely ignore my opinion by the way. :)
I think the tests themselves do a good enough job of sifting the applicants, they are difficult enough that many people don't even get to the test centre for the in-person tests. There would be no reason for them to make the process any more complicated. You either pass or you don't.

y4d344

Good luck to whoever Is doing vse & m7sjt. I would advise you to use a mouse if possible. I used my MacBook air and made few mistakes right clicking causing me to slow down and miss the errors on part3

Chippychips

I was with you all the way up to this. Not sure in what sense they are random. if the test scores are linear then the algorithm for marking them is simple and can be automated. This means literally as soon as the test is completed the marks are generated. So my test scores along with others have merely sat on their server for close to a fortnight. We have people receiving emails from OPC apologising for the delay, whilst people are also getting there invite to VSE the very same day. We also have people like myself who have had nothing at all and people who have not made the cut.

If it was in their best financial interests to push forward as many assessments as possible, why go to the trouble of sending a 28 days email when you could just as easily send the score results email instead? The only action that makes sense is not receiving anything at all, then you can infer that they are in fact far too busy to send any response at all. The 28 days email seems completely redundant, unless there is a reason to hold things back.
The process isn't fully automated, it still takes human-input to check and send the "batch" emails out.
As I said "logistical or admin" reasons, how big do you think their server is?
If the link was immediately sent to EVERYONE, automatically, what happens to a server when it has too much traffic?
(Unlike the past, this was probably Avantis biggest and longest recruitment drive. Record number of applicants over the 1+week window- hard to cope and manage so you bottleneck it)

The 28 days is courtesy.
They absolutely cannot tell you score results. Not at any stage. Its either "you passed and here's the next stage" or "you failed unfortunately try again in 6 months".

PF19

So as an update, I've not received an email in any capacity since the first 5 tests, no 28 day one or rejection etc!
Deadline was 14th completed on 11th
No news is good news! Least that's what I'm telling myself... :p

Edit: Manchester applicant

jdm365sito

The process isn't fully automated, it still takes human-input to check and send the "batch" emails out.
As I said "logistical or admin" reasons, how big do you think their server is?
If the link was immediately sent to EVERYONE, automatically, what happens to a server when it has too much traffic?
(Unlike the past, this was probably Avantis biggest and longest recruitment drive. Record number of applicants over the 1+week window- hard to cope and manage so you bottleneck it)

The 28 days is courtesy.
They absolutely cannot tell you score results. Not at any stage. Its either "you passed and here's the next stage" or "you failed unfortunately try again in 6 months".
Technically it doesn't need any human input, I write programs daily that fully automate this. Easy enough for a computer to analyse results then write a program in 20 minutes to then send out a default pass or fail email to the recipient. Sorry not being "aggy" just wanted to input ha ha!

Got to do the next stage of tests but waiting till I'm fully fresh to do these, good luck to all those who are doing or have done them!

nolypops83

Technically it doesn't need any human input, I write programs daily that fully automate this. Easy enough for a computer to analyse results then write a program in 20 minutes to then send out a default pass or fail email to the recipient. Sorry not being "aggy" just wanted to input ha ha!

Got to do the next stage of tests but waiting till I'm fully fresh to do these, good luck to all those who are doing or have done them!
Oh it’s definitely possible but remember there are companies that still use paper forms and fax machines. :lol:

I just did a bit of digging and apparently the OPC has 12 members of staff. That’s according to their tax return.

Last edited:

jdm365sito

Oh it’s definitely possible but remember there are companies that still use paper forms and fax machines. :lol:

I just did a bit of digging and apparently the OPC has 12 members of staff. That’s according to their tax return.
True, :lol: if they have 12 members then I do hope it's automated otherwise they must be working 24/7!

TBowman

Hi all, Iv just had my email to say I did not meet the standard :( I applied to both Manchester and Liverpool.
Good luck to you all x

TK.

:lol::lol: that's brilliant!! Ha ha.. 12 members of staff for thousands of applications..gosh

baz962

Established Member
:lol::lol: that's brilliant!! Ha ha.. 12 members of staff for thousands of applications..gosh
They don't process those applications. The train operating companies do that and then send the ones they want to the OPC .