• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JWS

Ive just had the same email as a few others i passed the VSE and M7 awaiting assessment date for liverpool.

Buzzing as I was convinced I failed the VSE

Proof that until your told no theres still a chanc

Had the same email as a few others today. Passed the VSE and M7. 4 week wait to find out dates.
I'm a Liverpool applicant. Will the assessment centre definitely be Crewe?
hey well done on passing these tests, I'm going to complete mine tomorrow with another TOC, do you have any tips or what I can expect from the VSE? I'm hearing its 3 stages getting progressively harder? and its following a track with different colours?

any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

well done again, cheers

J

tiler101

Hi everyone only just found this group, seems like it will help alot of people ive just had my email that im through to the assessment centre! Any advice on what to expect or is the info they give enough thanks

pmc88

Just wondered if anyone whos recently been to an assessment day willing to discuss how the day went?

I heard the bourdon is all on one big sheet not individual pages?
Im not 100% on what to expect from tea occ? I confuse it with the one about ticking what you see in an image.
TRP 1 - I hear is memorizing text and TRP 2 - about order of dials? or is that the tones and circling something with tones?

Anyway any tips on what to expect would be appreciated thanks

Harvinder

Just wondered if anyone whos recently been to an assessment day willing to discuss how the day went?

I heard the bourdon is all on one big sheet not individual pages?
Im not 100% on what to expect from tea occ? I confuse it with the one about ticking what you see in an image.
TRP 1 - I hear is memorizing text and TRP 2 - about order of dials? or is that the tones and circling something with tones?

Anyway any tips on what to expect would be appreciated thanks

Yeah, the Group bourdon is on a big sheet. But you must practice this.

Tea occ, you will listen to an audio and count low tones in part 1 , part 2 circle the double symbols and third part is a combination.

Trp 1 is memorising a peice of text and trp 2 is dials and cables.

jimwill

Hi, new poster here, currently got a date for my stage 2, cbi, 2 hand coordination test etc. Does anyone know how long this takes, I need to be there for 9am, is it an all day thing?

Harvinder

Hi, new poster here, currently got a date for my stage 2, cbi, 2 hand coordination test etc. Does anyone know how long this takes, I need to be there for 9am, is it an all day thingl
I think at latest 2 to 3 pm.

IH73

Liverpool here, email also received and passed VSE m7, date for next stage to be given within next 4 weeks.. good news for the weekend :)

I note Avanti have just advertised for qualified train drivers too for Edinburgh and Polmadie closing date 07/05

Javhaid

Will it look bad if all my answers to the CBI questions are related to one job only? I’ve only ever worked one job but have taken on 3 different roles there so was planning to give answers using my experience from these different roles but it’s starting to sound a little repetitive

And does anyone know if the answers have to be from within the last five years ?

Last edited:

Spincity

Will it look bad if all my answers to the CBI questions are related to one job only? I’ve only ever worked one job but have taken on 3 different roles there so was planning to give answers using my experience from these different roles but it’s starting to sound a little repetitive

And does anyone know if the answers have to be from within the last five years ?
Choose the most relevant example, if that’s from one job, and it’s suitable, that’s the best answer. I’d recommend that recent examples would be better as you’ll be expected to talk about them in detail, if it happened 10 years ago, will you know the details?

Javhaid

Answers don't have necessarily have to be job related it could be life experiences

Ok thanks

Choose the most relevant example, if that’s from one job, and it’s suitable, that’s the best answer. I’d recommend that recent examples would be better as you’ll be expected to talk about them in detail, if it happened 10 years ago, will you know the details?

Thanks Spincity

RustyRuss

Good afternoon folks I hope you're all enjoying your weekend.
Would anybody happen to know where applicants from Scotland would likely be asked to attend in person testing? It's inconsequential really as I'm happy to attend wherever they stipulate, but it's just another distracting unknown rattling around at the back of my mind. You know travelling times, possible accommodation needs time off current work etc, all that distraction would be nice to address.

Gman1974

Good afternoon folks I hope you're all enjoying your weekend.
Would anybody happen to know where applicants from Scotland would likely be asked to attend in person testing? It's inconsequential really as I'm happy to attend wherever they stipulate, but it's just another distracting unknown rattling around at the back of my mind. You know travelling times, possible accommodation needs time off current work etc, all that distraction would be nice to address.
Hopefully Edinburgh or Glasgow

Theoffs

Evening chaps
Does anyone know when you attend the assessment centre will there be a CBI interview on the same day you do the group bourdon tests?

Harvinder

Evening chaps
Does anyone know when you attend the assessment centre will there be a CBI interview on the same day you do the group bourdon tests?
Good evening mate, CBI is seperate and will occur on the same day as the computer tests. There will be no interview on the day of the paper tests like Group Bourdon.

Gc85

Polmadie applicant. Just received and email to say I was successful and next stage is j7 and vse.

However as they are recruiting all year round and prioritising different stations, they have put me in a waiting pool for these to be done.

cc27

Polmadie applicant. Just received and email to say I was successful and next stage is j7 and vse.

However as they are recruiting all year round and prioritising different stations, they have put me in a waiting pool for these to be done.
Same here, Polmadie also. A step in the right direction at least.

jdwmfc

I've now been asked to complete the M7 test but nothing else.

Seems they are stretching out the process.

Maybe you only get the VSE if you pass the M7 now.

Bd27

Just got an email finally to say I passed first 5 tests. Now to just wait.

Attachments

• IMG_9017.png
    IMG_9017.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 107

MT18

I also have received an email saying I was successful and waiting for the next step for Polmadie.

TK.

Afternoon all, anyone on here for Manchester or Liverpool, NOT had a response from OPC or is it just me? o_O I did the 5 initial tests, got the 28 day email and then nothing at all since. Its well over 28days now...

Hinata Shoyo

Are you using the test software? Blimey that's tough I'm averaging 20-30% on 1 sec
Hi,

I'm not sure if you're using the same test software I used when practicing for mine but I didn't rely on the score the program gave me.

For example, let's say image 1 on the program, there was traffic lights and motorbikes. If you missed either of them or said there was anything extra like pedestrians, the program would score you 0 for that image even though you might have identified one of the things correctly (does that make sense?).

Instead, what I did to work out my "true" score was added up everything that was shown across all 10 images and added up everything I correctly identified across all 10 images. E.g I spotted 27 of the 5 things to look for across the 10 images but there was 30 things in total across the 10 images. So my score would be 27/30 = 90%. Let's say the 5 things I missed were spread across separate images, the program would have marked me down as 0% for 5 images, giving me a score of 50% (which was disheartening when I was practicing). Hope this makes sense?

It goes without saying though and it's my one piece of advice with the ATAVT test: Unless you definitely saw the object in the picture, don't tick it. Helped me think I was being negatively marked down for saying something was in the picture when it wasn't there.

JGB3

Afternoon all, anyone on here for Manchester or Liverpool, NOT had a response from OPC or is it just me? o_O I did the 5 initial tests, got the 28 day email and then nothing at all since. Its well over 28days now...
The last email I had was the 6 week email after the intial 5 tests

JohnnyOne

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're using the same test software I used when practicing for mine but I didn't rely on the score the program gave me.

For example, let's say image 1 on the program, there was traffic lights and motorbikes. If you missed either of them or said there was anything extra like pedestrians, the program would score you 0 for that image even though you might have identified one of the things correctly (does that make sense?).

Instead, what I did to work out my "true" score was added up everything that was shown across all 10 images and added up everything I correctly identified across all 10 images. E.g I spotted 27 of the 5 things to look for across the 10 images but there was 30 things in total across the 10 images. So my score would be 27/30 = 90%. Let's say the 5 things I missed were spread across separate images, the program would have marked me down as 0% for 5 images, giving me a score of 50% (which was disheartening when I was practicing). Hope this makes sense?

It goes without saying though and it's my one piece of advice with the ATAVT test: Unless you definitely saw the object in the picture, don't tick it. Helped me think I was being negatively marked down for saying something was in the picture when it wasn't there.
Right I see that's very helpful, thankyou.

YingYing

I'm in for Manchester, had an email through today from OPC saying they are still processing other applications for Avanti at other locations. No news is good news. It's not a "No Thanks" until they tell you.
I get the impression they're dealing with everyone differently depending on whether they may have sat these things before and which location they've applied for.

GPR

The last email I had was the 6 week email after the intial 5 tests
Same.
I think they’ve marked the original 5 tests.
Top marks are now doing their psychometrics / CBIs.
Lowest marks have had rejection emails.
Mid range or not far from top marks have had wait 6 weeks.

If people then fail their psychometrics then maybe put people through from the original 5 tests to the VSE and M7 tests.