• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Received an invite for the SJT tests today. I know it's probably been asked already but for clarification is this part simply for sifting purposes and doesn't count as a life?

I am in a talent pool with someone else already and I am aware of the whole MMI/CBI issue. But is there any harm in doing these and seeing where I get and then make the choice on the CBI should I get that far. Reading alot of mixed info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Riddy

Just finished my OPC questions now. Took me just over an hour to do them all, but as others have said you can do the 5 sections individually and come back to the others later, however when you start a section you must complete it in one go. Some sections only a take a few minutes, whilst others involve a bit of reading and some thought. Nothing too taxing or technical, but I found myself second guessing my own answers and thoughts.
As others have also said, there's not really any prep that you can do as its a test to see what your personality and morals are like.

Nicas

Hi, I'm new here, applied for Polmadie and also had email to complete online assessments, deadline 17:00 on the 14th. Good luck all

TK.

Just finished my OPC questions now. Took me just over an hour to do them all, but as others have said you can do the 5 sections individually and come back to the others later, however when you start a section you must complete it in one go. Some sections only a take a few minutes, whilst others involve a bit of reading and some thought. Nothing too taxing or technical, but I found myself second guessing my own answers and thoughts.
As others have also said, there's not really any prep that you can do as its a test to see what your personality and morals are like.
thanks for the insight, very helpful. :) good luck!

TK.

can i ask was there anything Avanti specific ? or just personality/moral/priorities etc

PLove655

I sat and passed my driver tests in 2008 with scotrail and been in the grade since but have not heard of this OPC testing? Can anyone shed any light on it for me? Just being nosey. Thank you.
OPC is a private company which does testing on behalf of TOC and FOC. Once all tests are passed they pass your file to the TOC or FOC for Driver Manager Interview. Scotrail does everything in-house and does not use OPC, hence the reason you have not heard of them. I have just completed all tests with OPC for Freightliner. Received my final email on Wednesday 8th March to say I had passed my MMI and was now compete and ready for DMI with Freightliner. OPC are very good and keep you updated and communication via email is excellent. Good luck to everyone.

Riddy

can i ask was there anything Avanti specific ? or just personality/moral/priorities etc
There's nothing specific that requires knowledge of the company or brand. The questions are more based on 'if you were a train driver, what would you do if XY or Z occurred". And the other questions are about your personality.

thanks for the insight, very helpful. :) good luck!
No worries, good luck to you too!

PLove655

Received an invite for the SJT tests today. I know it's probably been asked already but for clarification is this part simply for sifting purposes and doesn't count as a life?

I am in a talent pool with someone else already and I am aware of the whole MMI/CBI issue. But is there any harm in doing these and seeing where I get and then make the choice on the CBI should I get that far. Reading alot of mixed info
I’m in the same boat as you. I have just passed my MMI with OPC for Freightliner. However, Avanti use CBI so even if I do all these online tests (which don’t count as a life) then if I sat and failed CBI my MMi would be wiped. However, will deal with that if offered a CBI.

Only tests that count towards a life are the “paper pencil” tests such as Group Bourdon and then the computer test such as the grey square on the white screen.

There's nothing specific that requires knowledge of the company or brand. The questions are more based on 'if you were a train driver, what would you do if XY or Z occurred". And the other questions are about your personality.

No worries, good luck to you too!
Nothing company specific.

I have just completed the OPC process for Freightliner. OPC are only doing the testing. Nothing else. They have no links or knowledge of Avanti. They are only contracted to carry out the testing. I was never asked anything about Freightliner. They are doing the tests to see who is capable of competing the training and being able to do the job. So don’t take these online tests lightly. They are analysing you responses. Good luck.

jamie_mca87

Does anyone know how long after doing online assessments to hear back if application is going to the next stage? I applied for Polmadie, Glasgow.

Jayleeruss

Hard to say, my mate applied in the October listings and found out he got the job in February (which is very quick for the railways). When I emailed avanti they told me to ‘wait approx two weeks before hearing back about the outcome of each stage’
Does anyone know how long after doing online assessments to hear back if application is going to the next stage? I applied for Polmadie, Glasgow

Bazzzzz

I applied for Edinburgh. Just done the online assessment however didn’t get a confirmation email back to say it was under review. Is this normal?

jamie_mca87

Hard to say, my mate applied in the October listings and found out he got the job in February (which is very quick for the railways). When I emailed avanti they told me to ‘wait approx two weeks before hearing back about the outcome of each stage’
thanks mate

Garyh85

Are the tests mobile friendly? My place is like a mad house 90% of the time with the kids so my best bet for quiet might be out of the house.

Clouding

Are the tests mobile friendly? My place is like a mad house 90% of the time with the kids so my best bet for quiet might be out of the house.
It does say not to use a mobile device and to make sure you have a computer and mouse, so I would avoid.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yes they are, just says use a standard browser i.e. Chrome/Firefox/Safari

Can someone in the know please explain how this ‘talent bank’ works ? I’m seeing people applying for these positions who are already in other talent banks. Avanti say once successfully through all stages
you enter into a talent bank. Are you just in limbo waiting to start training?
Talent banks are a way of companies holding people deemed competent for the role pending vacancies or increase in depot sizes etc. You can be in there for a month or several years depending on the TOC.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Out of curiosity. Do Avanti drivers get free travel on the network? Does this include family?
As with all TOC roles, you get free travel on your own and parent companies trains (so First Group for Avanti) and 75% discount on other TOCs through Priv discount