• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Harvinder

Just to add to the complexity of it all, it also depends on your DMI score and also the number of driver managers at your home depot (no course will have more students than DMs apparently, which makes sense).

Patience is the name of the game I think!
That makes sense, especially the DMI score to consider. Thanks. Would love to know what we scored though! Haha

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ses16

Thanks Ses, I hope so too! I saw you passed the DMI so for you I hope you get on a course sooner rather than later as well!
Thanks mate, let’s just say I’ve got other options open but fingers crossed! It’s 2024 than 2025 with Avanti.

Just to add to the complexity of it all, it also depends on your DMI score and also the number of driver managers at your home depot (no course will have more students on each course than DMs apparently, which makes sense).

Euston have got 5 driver managers from what I was told, so hopefully that’s another plus for us lot based there but again totally agree with patience being important, you’re in the pool, enjoy it and chill.

Ned21

I got my email last week saying I passed my DMI, I'm a Wolverhampton applicant. Now I'm in the talent pool, does this mean I am guaranteed I job? I'm aware it could be a long time waiting just wanted to know the situation.

Class2ldn

Established Member
No it doesn't guarantee it unfortunately, highly likely but certainly no guarantee.

Harvinder

I got my email last week saying I passed my DMI, I'm a Wolverhampton applicant. Now I'm in the talent pool, does this mean I am guaranteed I job? I'm aware it could be a long time waiting just wanted to know the situation.
You will need to pass medical, checks etc. Then when you have your contract, your position is secured. Don't worry, you will get a place, your talented and they see that.

Chippychips

Consider the Talent Pool a Cream n Chive dip, and the vacancies are your celery sticks...
So long as there are celery sticks are on the table, the dip is needed. If the celery finishes and/or everyone is full, then the dip is no longer needed...at least not until someone brings more celery sticks, then the dipping resumes.
Equally if the dip finishes but there's celery on the table, then that dip needs to be topped up ASAP (current situation) to meet the supply of the celery sticks, before the guests start complaining. But to be a good host, you'd rather simply have surplus dip in advance and discard what you dont need.

But as @Class2ldn mentioned, Avanti have a fair bit of celery so its likely the dipping will continue for a while.

Shinigami

Just to add to the complexity of it all, it also depends on your DMI score and also the number of driver managers at your home depot (no course will have more students on each course than DMs apparently, which makes sense).

This, I would take with a punch of salt. I keep hearing conflicting information about this. Some people say it’s score related, some people say it’s simply a pass fail and the score has no bearing (which sounds more realistic to be honest). I don’t know where people are getting this information from, sounds made up of Im being perfectly honest because no one that i know who has passed or that knows people in recruitment have made this claim. I’m just assuming here but I don’t actually believe that the DMI “scores” play a factor. I believe it’s pass fail and order of talent pool entry based on the previous recruitments. It constantly seems that the date of being told when you passed is the key factor as to how soon people have been offered a course

st1995

This, I would take with a punch of salt. I keep hearing conflicting information about this. Some people say it’s score related, some people say it’s simply a pass fail and the score has no bearing (which sounds more realistic to be honest). I don’t know where people are getting this information from, sounds made up of Im being perfectly honest because no one that i know who has passed or that knows people in recruitment have made this claim. I’m just assuming here but I don’t actually believe that the DMI “scores” play a factor. I believe it’s pass fail and order of talent pool entry based on the previous recruitments. It constantly seems that the date of being told when you passed is the key factor as to how soon people have been offered a course
I honestly think nobody knows what factors they consider whilst offering courses.
I passed my DMI march 13th and havent been offered whilst someone who passed in July has been offered a course. Both Liverpool applicants too so we can rule out depot priority

badger85

I'm just going off what I've read. Either way I'm sure you'll hear soon now that it sounds like things are moving again.

Last edited:

I did bring DMI score into my point (as it states in email) I think if you scored high in your DMI it will put you in a good place. Just my opinion though what do I know.

If I’m being honest mate pretty every interview is score based. You will have a pass mark based on a scoring system per question. That’s just stating the obvious.

Last edited:

Shinigami

I did bring DMI score into my point (as it states in email) I think if you scored high in your DMI it will put you in a good place. Just my opinion though what do I know.

If I’m being honest mate pretty every interview is score based. You will have a pass mark based on a scoring system per question. That’s just stating the obvious.
No offence but this is pure speculation. I’m not saying it can’t be the case, I’m saying that people are just making this conclusion cause everyone wants to figure out some way that it is being scored but no one really knows. The ONLY reliable source that I’ve heard has told me that although there are scores for passing, it is recorded as pass or fail. It stands to reason that they could do it based on the scoring system but it’s also a personality interview. The interviewers could simply note down their favourite candidates for a plethora of reasons. Not to mention they ask questions such as travel distance, notice period, holiday. All of these things could equally play a part of not more so. Or, it could simply be at random. No one knows. My point is, it’s better not to assume, or worse, tell other people how they choose when we don’t even know ourselves. “We don’t know” is really the only honest and acceptable answer and that’s ok

No offence but this is pure speculation. I’m not saying it can’t be the case, I’m saying that people are just making this conclusion cause everyone wants to figure out some way that it is being scored but no one really knows. The ONLY reliable source that I’ve heard has told me that although there are scores for passing, it is recorded as pass or fail. It stands to reason that they could do it based on the scoring system but it’s also a personality interview. The interviewers could simply note down their favourite candidates for a plethora of reasons. Not to mention they ask questions such as travel distance, notice period, holiday. All of these things could equally play a part of not more so. Or, it could simply be at random. No one knows. My point is, it’s better not to assume, or worse, tell other people how they choose when we don’t even know ourselves. “We don’t know” is really the only honest and acceptable answer and that’s ok
No offence taken. I agree nobody knows. You assumed in your previous post about what you believed was a key factor. So yes I agree, best not to assume also.

Shinigami

No offence taken. I agree nobody knows. You assumed in your previous post about what you believed was a key factor. So yes I agree, best not to assume also.
That was just my personal guess rather than a definite statement. Could be wrong of course. Best to just wait it out. Seems like things are moving now anyway so hopefully everyone who has passed will be offered a course date for next year

rd79

It’s no doubt been answered somewhere in this thread but can anyone tell me how many stages there are in this recruitment process?
I’ve done a couple of online assessments and now invited to first face to face assessment referred to as “stage 1 - any idea what comes next if successful? Thank you

Harvinder

It’s no doubt been answered somewhere in this thread but can anyone tell me how many stages there are in this recruitment process?
I’ve done a couple of online assessments and now invited to first face to face assessment referred to as “stage 1 - any idea what comes next if successful? Thank you
Next will be stage 2 with OPC, comprising of three computer tests, that will test your concentration, vigilance, and your hand coordination. You will also have a competency based interview.

Pass this you will have an interview with two driver managers on a different date.

Finally, pass dmi you will enter the talent pool waiting for a course date.

Hopefully I have answered your question, freind! Haha

rd79

Next will be stage 2 with OPC, comprising of three computer tests, that will test your concentration, vigilance, and your hand coordination. You will also have a competency based interview.

Pass this you will have an interview with two driver managers on a different date.

Finally, pass dmi you will enter the talent pool waiting for a course date.

Hopefully I have answered your question, freind! Haha
That’s great, much appreciated

Jquarterz

That was just my personal guess rather than a definite statement. Could be wrong of course. Best to just wait it out. Seems like things are moving now anyway so hopefully everyone who has passed will be offered a course date for next year
Just out of curiosity not sure if you said before but how long have you been waiting for a course date ?

Aviator88

Just out of curiosity not sure if you said before but how long have you been waiting for a course date ?

It's been just over 6 months since the last DMIs from the October 2022 recruitment drive, so it may be a good idea to get comfy!

Shinigami

I found out I passed in March so 7 months for me so far but we seems to have just missed the boat so i would say that it would be the same for you guys. Could be on the exact same course as some of us so our 6 months - 1 year wait might only be 3 months - 6 months for you guys. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Ses16

I found out I passed in March so 7 months for me so far but we seems to have just missed the boat so i would say that it would be the same for you guys. Could be on the exact same course as some of us so our 6 months - 1 year wait might only be 3 months - 6 months for you guys. Fingers crossed
I was following your posts on the 2022 intake thread and your advice about the CBI was spot on, really helped.

I think what’s got us 2023 lot excited is the wording of the last email we got. They said offers will be made for courses in October/November. I’m not going to lie but I still think I’m going to get the call with an offer till I remember some of the 2022 lot are still waiting themselves.

Hopefully you’ll be right with the 3-6 month wait.

Shinigami

I was following your posts on the 2022 intake thread and your advice about the CBI was spot on, really helped.

I think what’s got us 2023 lot excited is the wording of the last email we got. They said offers will be made for courses in October/November. I’m not going to lie but I still think I’m going to get the call with an offer till I remember some of the 2022 lot are still waiting themselves.

Hopefully you’ll be right with the 3-6 month wait.
That’s amazing to hear. Really happy you got something out of the post. Made my day hearing that actually.

That’s what a few of us were told when we passed in the last recruitment group as well so chances are we were the last to go through and will be in with of the first of this years group. Exciting times.

Fingers crossed we’re all of in the beginning of next year. I’ve heard that people have been put on January and February courses already and considering that they don’t seem to run more than one at a time, here’s to hoping that we start from March onwards.

Jquarterz

Yeah makes sense. Fingers crossed. Did they update you through this year with emails on what is happening regularly?

Shinigami

Yeah makes sense. Fingers crossed. Did they update you through this year with emails on what is happening regularly?
Not really, just the odd email every few months essentially saying the same thing. Was told October onwards they would start given dates for 2024 and then got the same email saying that a few months later and that’s it so far.

William94

I’ve been invited to the assessment centre in glasgow on Thursday, but stupidly misread the email and never confirmed my attendance! Has this happened to anyone before?