• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crdif

Any thoughts about the general election and labour getting the nod surely gonna hinder these positions I hope am wrong

Established Member
Any thoughts about the general election and labour getting the nod surely gonna hinder these positions I hope am wrong

Why would it? The driver workforce is ageing rapidly, and there’s a pressing need to recruit traincrew at Avanti, just as there is at most operators.

Passenger numbers are rising and Avanti as the main long distance operator on the WCML is politically high profile. So much so that the current government (via the DfT) saw fit to allow a market leading RDW deal to be agreed to improve performance on the route, and it’s hard to see how any post July 4th regime could be less pro rail than the current bunch!

Last edited:

Crdif

Why would it? The driver workforce is ageing rapidly, and there’s a pressing need to recruit traincrew at Avanti, just as there is at most operators.

Passenger numbers are rising and Avanti as the main long distance operator on the WCML is politically high profile. So much so that the current government (via the DfT) saw fit to allow a market leading RDW deal to be agreed to improve performance on the route, and it’s hard to see how any post July 4th regime could be less pro rail than the current bunch!

No no just asking people’s opinion. Obviously there is a plan to call it Great British railways . Just thought by the time people may get called for a start date they may pull the training if it’s going to be taken into public ownership .‍♂️

Established Member

No no just asking people’s opinion. Obviously there is a plan to call it Great British railways . Just thought by the time people may get called for a start date they may pull the training if it’s going to be taken into public ownership .‍♂️

The transfer into public ownership won’t take place until late 2026 when their current contract expires. As with other train operators Avanti have been directly controlled by the DfT since shortly after the pandemic began, and there hasn’t been any change to training since then. Indeed, they’ve recruited both trainee and qualified drivers, including several I know personally. TOCs that have been taken over by the OLR also haven’t seen training affected at all, so that should give some comfort.

Unfortunately railway recruitment is unpredictable and slow, so you shouldn’t pull all your eggs in one basket, but I wouldn’t worry about the transfer to public ownership per se.

CEB24

Liverpool applicant, still radio silence from The OPC since October saying other depots are the priority and they'll restart ASAP.

Sc07

How are yous all getting on with the stages and dmis
Edinburgh-based applicant - I Passed the final stage of OPC testing and CBI at the end of October, and then got an email from Avanti mid-February to advise that no dates were yet available for the DMI stage, but to sit tight. Nothing since then, but I appreciate that it's just a case of waiting.

CEB24

I believe Manchester and Liverpool are in the same boat, @Runner1708. I.e. North West not a priority for The OPC/AWC and they will pick back up with candidates 'ASAP'. Just going from what I have read and experienced as a Liverpool applicant.

Jquarterz

Things definitely behind the scenes will be moving even though it feels dragged out. I think we will hear further updates after July

Ned21

I had an email today saying the next available course for me isn't until 2025, and will update me in November. Has anybody else had the same email or maybe even a training course offer?

Jquarterz

I had an email today saying the next available course for me isn't until 2025, and will update me in November. Has anybody else had the same email or maybe even a training course offer?
Yeah got the same email. At least they are keeping us in the loop I guess. It's definitely going to be worth the wait

om1997

I have been waiting for this job since 2018 when I first passed the test when the contract was under virgin and kept waiting but heard nothing due to the contract complications within that time, I applied again in 2022 for avanti with 4 years and 6 months on from my 1st OPC result and was told id have to resit them as they’d be out of date before I was to start, I passed again and was offered a place in the talent pool, and now there’s no courses until 2025. Luckily I’m still young but it’s always been my dream to be a train driver as my dad has always worked on the trains. Gutted isn’t the word but what can ya do

Jquarterz

I have been waiting for this job since 2018 when I first passed the test when the contract was under virgin and kept waiting but heard nothing due to the contract complications within that time, I applied again in 2022 for avanti with 4 years and 6 months on from my 1st OPC result and was told id have to resit them as they’d be out of date before I was to start, I passed again and was offered a place in the talent pool, and now there’s no courses until 2025. Luckily I’m still young but it’s always been my dream to be a train driver as my dad has always worked on the trains. Gutted isn’t the word but what can ya do
I'm sure your persistence will pay off this time around

MrBalfour95

In the Talent pool for Edinburgh. Not received any emails at all however seeing everyone else’s response I’m not hopeful

Wow that's a long wait, did you apply for Manchester on both applications?

om1997

Wow that's a long wait, did you apply for Manchester on both applications?
First application I got offered either London/Edinburgh/Wolves but their apprenticeship was only £16k salary at the time so couldn’t afford to move so I opted to go into the talent pool and then contract negotiations meant they didn’t hire anyone externally for the apprenticeship until avanti came around in 2022 and opened up the apprenticeship again and this time I chose Manchester which is looking like the depot needing the fewest drivers aha

NashBoyCarper

Anyone still waiting to complete the next stage of their tests I've been waiting since May last year and I just keep getting emails every few months from OPC saying they are currently working through depots in Scotland

baz962

Established Member
Apply for other TOCs too.

FH.

Apply for other TOCs too.
Is there any potential conflict or issue with applying to other TOCs while being in a talent pool? I want to maximize my chances of securing a position but also want to remain professional and respectful of Avanti’s process.

Any advice or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance