• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymbongo

It's for performance in 2019/20 (pre-Covid, some of it maybe even pre-Avanti) and 2020/21 (Covid/emergency period etc).
Nothing to see here.

And yet, following the largely very successful financial year of 2019-2020, which ended only a couple of weeks after the first lockdown, most of their employees were asked to accept a 0% pay rise in April 2020, because of Covid...? They are not alone, of course, in that, but some resentment was bound to surface sooner or later, and may also be partly the cause of the current poor relations and the ensuing cancellations and timetable reshuffle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

modernrail

And yet, following the largely very successful financial year of 2019-2020, which ended only a couple of weeks after the first lockdown, most of their employees were asked to accept a 0% pay rise in April 2020, because of Covid...? They are not alone, of course, in that, but some resentment was bound to surface sooner or later, and may also be partly the cause of the current poor relations and the ensuing cancellations and timetable reshuffle.
It is not great performance marking if it does not take account of ‘problems brewing’. It should not be based only on actual performance in that year but also on planning for the future to ensure performance against requirements in future years. It is badly thought through if it doesn’t do this.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
March 2020 was when the restrictions on making new pay agreements came in so whatever happened in the previous year became irrelevant to any pay offer made, or not made in 2020.

MDB1images

Did anyone else see Grant Shapps on the BBC1 Breakfast programme arguing with the presenter regarding the number of trains currently on offer between Manchester and London? The presenter was saying 1 per hour and Shapps was adamant that it was 4 per hour.
Totally unforgivable that he got this so wrong when it's been so publicly publicised.
Grant Shapps is totally unfit for the role along with those behind the scenes who are directing/advising him.

philthetube

Established Member
Can't be sure about the advisors, he may have not listened to them if he thinks he knows it all.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Or he may just be lying, which the Tory Government has form for...
They would rather lie than admit they're not sure. What they don't realise, is when they're talking to someone who does know what they're talking about, they look like fools

ssray

Had this from the RMT today

Attachments

• IMG-20220819-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220819-WA0004.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 418

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not quite sure how the "multi skilled operative" bit would be possible without implementing DOO first. Even though it's the Lumo model, and it's the one I'd certainly use if I was setting up a new intercity rail service.

td97

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Difficult to tell if the RMT brief refers to all DfT TOCs or just one.
Closing all ticket offices in October doesn't seem realistic, considering it isn't official policy yet - bound to take a year or more.
New employees on new Ts&Cs I can well believe, as happened for example at BA. It's how you isolate the "dinosaurs".
An industry pay body would be like many public sector bodies (teachers, nurses, police etc) - would take negotiations largely away from the TOCs.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What’s equally disgusting is the way Shapps brazenly attempts to bull his way out of it.

Shapps has always been like that, and it works for him, so why change? This is the man who "forgot" he was hawking scammy Internet investment schemes under the pseudonym Michael Green whilst he was an MP, and then tried to sue someone when they pointed it out.

Something worth remembering when they're going on about "union barons"...

As for forcing change, it's dead easy with fire-and-rehire, which is why they've suddenly gone all quiet about P&O.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The point about the pay review bodies is a bit odd - the existing ones take evidence from the trade unions as major stakeholders.

The pay review bodies are independent of government, which is why they were introduced. It proves the government from coming to the table with an unrealistically low offer like 0.5% or something, and instead the government are handed a recommendation based on a whole stack of evidence.

I'm not quite sure how the "multi skilled operative" bit would be possible without implementing DOO first. Even though it's the Lumo model, and it's the one I'd certainly use if I was setting up a new intercity rail service.
It could just be a restructuring brought on by nearly every company starting a dispute at the same time. The new contracts could include time limited provisions for people to keep doing their legacy role.

jayah

On Moderation
I am not sure how a multi skilled operator can be on universally inferior rates of pay when catering staff are being merged with people paid much more.

If that is really what they are about.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If the DfT try and force this through, I can see the RMT heading for an all out strike. Which may well be the aim of the government anyway.
It would appear that way, because apart from an 'all out' strike there aren't really any escalation options left from the Union side.

jayah

On Moderation
An industry pay body would be like many public sector bodies (teachers, nurses, police etc) - would take negotiations largely away from the TOCs.
Another quango. The NHS has a pay review body, yet thousands of vital vacancies are unfilled with high turnover because of low pay.

Why choose a model that patently doesn't work?

Let the market set pay.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am not sure how a multi skilled operator can be on universally inferior rates of pay when catering staff are being merged with people paid much more.

If that is really what they are about.

It did occur to me that this would be why it would be nonsensical to attempt this with existing staff - you'd just end up paying them all guard money when currently catering gets much less, and if Shapps thinks the unions are too weak to ensure that then he's a muppet (well, we know that already). That's why it's a model for a new operation like Lumo, not one to move onto.

There's also loads of stock that isn't DOO capable. Some retrofit is going on but it'd take a long time to do everything.

gazzaa2

I looked at the Avanti revised timetable, and it struck me, how low the service had dropped now,H with just 4 trains an hour. From the 9 trains an hour off peak, and 11 an hour peak, which is as bad or worse then BR ran, before virgin came along and revitalised the WCML, Avanti should hang their head in shame, it a sad enticement to drop service levels so low. Virgin weren’t perfect, and had flaws, but personally I like them, as they had a forward thinking attitude, and revitalised a some what overlooked main artery for the UK, How i bet, the DFT, regret getting rid of virgin Trains on the WCML.

The irony is, HS2 is needed to free up capacity on the WCML and while it's under construction the services have less than halved.

ymbongo

March 2020 was when the restrictions on making new pay agreements came in so whatever happened in the previous year became irrelevant to any pay offer made, or not made in 2020.

Makes sense I suppose then.
I hope perhaps that something can be salvaged from the tatters of Avanti's reputation, it's quite disgraceful that the once-prestigious West Coast Main Line and its important inter-city links have been reduced to the current state, in no small way it would seem by inflammatory and provocative statements made by those who should know better.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm fearful that that's exactly what the government are banking on.

The only snag is the gov are going to have to, at some point, wake up to the fact that they’re now approaching the point in the cycle when the need to start thinking about the next general election. The change of leader is only going to increase calls for one as history shows mid-term leader changes aren’t really liked. On top of that there’s a mountain of other issues.

In short, this government is not popular, and they really can’t afford to continue pissing *everyone* off, which is what they seem to be achieving pretty comprehensively at the moment.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The only snag is the gov are going to have to, at some point, wake up to the fact that they’re now approaching the point in the cycle when the need to start thinking about the next general election. The change of leader is only going to increase calls for one as history shows mid-term leader changes aren’t really liked. On top of that there’s a mountain of other issues.
With an 80-seat majority, the Tory government (whoever is leader) is safe until the 5 years are up in 2024.
Truss/Sunak will have a honeymoon period before they are backed into a corner like Boris.
It will get interesting if there is a new Transport SoS.
Wendy Morton has hardly got her feet under the table as Rail minister.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Had this from the RMT today
If they offer voluntary redundancy, I imagine it will be popular. Especially amongst older staff who are approaching retirement anyway. That means they'll have a shortage of Multi Skilled Operatives so trains will either run in DOO mode (given the MSO apparently has no safety responsibilities), or we'll have agency staff covering on board duties, or the trains will just be cancelled.

If they are trying to transfer all safety responsibilities to the drivers, I doubt that will help to resolve the ASLEF dispute.

On the BBC Breakfast thing, I guess they're covering this due to being based in Salford and having staff travel back and forth to London regularly. I doubt it would have gained as much interest if BBC Breakfast was still broadcast from London.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The difference in tone and attitude to staff between the Southeastern MD and Avanti's couldn't be any more stark

Steve is one of the best of the new railway MDs whose got his head screwed on. Also he's gone out on limb here being its an OLR run operation.

The fact is govt screwed this up six months ago 5% would have got members on side and some concessions on working arrangements now every month that goes by RPI goes up another percent and the gulf gets ever wider.

Personally though Shapps knows he's goner (hes Sunak supporter) so he's just going for broke and aggravating the situation so its a mess for his Truss appointed replacement.

gazzaa2

Not through lack of demand, though. Lots of people are being turned away and the trains are still running full and standing.

For sure, it just shows the ridiculousness of the situation that HS2 was needed to massively increase capacity on the route and here we are with existing services of the main WCML operator less than halved before HS2 has started.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
With an 80-seat majority, the Tory government (whoever is leader) is safe until the 5 years are up in 2024.
Truss/Sunak will have a honeymoon period before they are backed into a corner like Boris.
It will get interesting if there is a new Transport SoS.
Shapps is Sunak supporter so he will be ejected
Wendy Morton has hardly got her feet under the table as Rail minister.
She is Truss supporter so maybe gets to stay on board

NORTHERNSOUL

Indeed pretty shocking really especially bearing in mind the publicity this matter has had recently.

What’s equally disgusting is the way Shapps brazenly attempts to bull his way out of it.

No wonder there’s problems if the transport Secretary is so clueless.
Much as I hate Schapps with a vengeance if you'd watched and listened right to the end he was pulling a very sly clever one knowing what Charlie Stayts reaction would be.

Charlie was saying there was only one per hour on the new Avanti temporary timetable and he was agreeing but what Charlie didnt grasp was that Schapps was getting over his point that he believes the Aslef drivers refusing to work their rest days is unofficial strike action and was therefore saying that if they weren't doing that there would be 4 trains an hour. Making it their fault and not Avantis

To me he comes across as a very desperate man trying to make a name for himself as a hard case just in case Truss or Sunak are desperate for one of the same.

If i were the RMT i.d get together with the companies agree on as many things as they can then and then come out and say we have a deal the only person stopping it is Schappes and then see if he's happy to go on Breakfast tv.

My local Tory MP told people from the stage at a function in the constituency that he's the most hated tory MP amongst the rest of them [ inc Gove ] what I don't understand is why it's beyond the RMT to dig the dirt on him and if they can't find any make some real juicy stuff up just to get it on the news for 3 nights running and he'd be gone the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.