• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West coast contract extended to 1st April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
With just over 3 weeks to go, and no announcement yet, looking like Avanti are almost certainly getting another extension.

Based on the ministers speech at Mondays Northern conference on Monday sounds like Avanti have just about got to standard on 5/7 of the week (weekdays), but nowhere near where they should be at weekends. Can't really get a big extension if still in a mess 2/7 of the week so I am guessing about 6 months interim

I suspect might partly have been saved by TPE Transpennine Express that got a (justified) mauling in the press and TV reports this week. So now politically untenable to give TPE an extension, and DfT very unlikely to want to manage 2 changes just weeks apart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
With just over 3 weeks to go, and no announcement yet, looking like Avanti are almost certainly getting another extension.

Based on the ministers speech at Mondays Northern conference on Monday sounds like Avanti have just about got to standard on 5/7 of the week (weekdays), but nowhere near where they should be at weekends. Can't really get a big extension if still in a mess 2/7 of the week so I am guessing about 6 months interim

I suspect might partly have been saved by TPE Transpennine Express that got a (justified) mauling in the press and TV reports this week. So now politically untenable to give TPE an extension, and DfT very unlikely to want to manage 2 changes just weeks apart.
What will be gained by transferring them to OLR when they have at least responded to shortcomings and have a recovery plan. Better to allow that to run its full course than destabilise everything again.

Snow1964

Established Member
What will be gained by transferring them to OLR when they have at least responded to shortcomings and have a recovery plan. Better to allow that to run its full course than destabilise everything again.
The wording of the current extension announcement was they had to improve by the end of the extension, not make a start, but not actually do it.

Its called accountability, delivering on the plan, not starting then fading out of improvements before target.

high camera

Well I have been on 2 Avanti 390s today, timed almost to the second, no standing required and professional staff, no complaints today

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really hope so - for purely selfish reasons. If this service is reliable again then I'll be back to using it regularly.

I have certainly withdrawn my boycott and have used it a few times recently. One big delay but it was a unit failure which could have happened anyway, otherwise fine. And the Pendolino refurb really is excellent.

Facing Back

I have certainly withdrawn my boycott and have used it a few times recently. One big delay but it was a unit failure which could have happened anyway, otherwise fine. And the Pendolino refurb really is excellent.
Fair enough, I'll give it a crack

JamieL

Well I have been on 2 Avanti 390s today, timed almost to the second, no standing required and professional staff, no complaints today
I agree, the service does seem to have improved and timetables stabilising. Let's hope they continue the improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.