• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hazlehead

Yes it's remarkable isn't it? I suppose it's testament to the strength of the Virgin brand that the new operator considers it so vital to erase all trace of it so quickly.
Let's not forget Branson is very protective of the Virgin brand so more probable it was part of Virgin's stipulation that any reference to them Must be removed immediately

Hazlehead

Particularly the uniforms - fully new uniforms on day one is almost unheard of.
Not fully new uniforms just Overcoat, Shell Jacket & Polo Shirt oh and a name badge. Rest is still the same. It'll take up to 18 months at least for a new uniform. Designs have to made and then
negotiatiated with the Unions , Samples then produced, final design formally agreed on then it goes into Production, Delivery & finally gets to be worn by the staff

BucksBones

Let's not forget Branson is very protective of the Virgin brand so more probable it was part of Virgin's stipulation that any reference to them Must be removed immediately

Yes they are certainly protective although I'm not sure what rights an outgoing TOC has to stipulate terms? I'd have thought removing branding would be solely down to them before the franchise ended - if there are bits left after that date surely it's tough isn't it?

Steddenm

Was on one of the unbranded 390s today and have to say the new headrest covers in First Class look really good. The digital voice just stated "welcome aboard this train, we'll be travelling to", staff had some Avanti uniform bits, and the Virgin-branded sugar bowls were still there. Oh and the Uglies remain for now.

ATOC Annie at Crewe did announce a train as Virgin though but they did have a power cut and the CIS was down.

Steddenm

This some kind of VT brand or just veg jargon because I've also never heard this phrase...

They are small chocolate biscuits provided by a company called Lily O'Briens. They are given out in first class to passengers and also sold in the on board shop. Or were when Virgin had the franchise.

Trainfan2019

Except that the uniform is Navy Blue! Only reason they are wearing Hi Vis to stand out from passengers on platform whilst carrying out despatch after concerns were raised especially in bad weather/ darkness. The old red coats/jackets made it easier to distinguish

Definitely agree about the red coats and jackets. Plus the large virgin logos made it even more visible. I saw Avanti staff in hi vis today at Crewe, could have been anyone. I only found out they were staff when I passed them.

Avanti platform signs at Stockport looked good when passing through today and the new train livery is bold and a change from the quite bland virgin livery.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Definitely agree about the red coats and jackets. Plus the large virgin logos made it even more visible. I saw Avanti staff in hi vis today at Crewe, could have been anyone. I only found out they were staff when I passed them.

Avanti platform signs at Stockport looked good when passing through today and the new train livery is bold and a change from the quite bland virgin livery.

It's a pity Avanti's bright colour is orange - that would look awful on uniforms. They could presumably have kept red, and it'd have worked just as well in the branding?

kirkierobroy

Uglies are good, but watch your fillings.

Generally was able to get some really good advance fares on Virgin, even for First Class, from Glasgow to places like Penrith, Oxenholme and New Street. They'd better keep that going. Not sure about this 'three classes' idea.

kieron

Established Member
They are no longer part of Avanti's First Class menus. They have another chocolate listed.
The brunch & afternoon menus here include them now, with a chocolate mint of some sort in the evening.

If they did stop providing them you could still buy them from the manufacturer, although you'd need to buy 80 to get free delivery. It seems like quite a lot.

Established Member
Well, I had my first exposure to the rebrand today.

Didn't notice any station signage because I was in too much of a hurry to catch my train, although I was aware of the Bermuda triangle floating around on a ticket machine I used at Wigan.

About one quarter of the seats in First had new antimacassars dubbed on all wonky, the rest had nothing.

Has anyone else noticed that they've had special balloon stickers printed to cover up the Virgin ones on the toilet walls? It must have been very tempting to have them made up with 'no more hot air' on the side.

And the toilets themselves have fallen silent...

I can't think of any they've done - Northern stations do generally look like an utter tip of badly-applied partial stickers.
My favourite (new) Northern effort is the official properly made up sign on Sunderland station pointing to 'Staduim of Light'. My autocorrect fought against that several times as I typed it. What kind of shoddy outfit would create, and then leave, something like that? Now we know.

Last edited:

LancasterRed

Announcements have been rolled out on the trains. Says "Avanti West Coast" over the PA but "Avanti" on the PIS.

Sounds strange, but the announcements now sound more upbeat and confident.

glynmonhughes

Well, I had my first exposure to the rebrand today.

Didn't notice any station signage because I was in too much of a hurry to catch my train, although I was aware of the Bermuda triangle floating around on a ticket machine I used at Wigan.

About one quarter of the seats in First had new antimacassars dubbed on all wonky, the rest had nothing.

Has anyone else noticed that they've had special balloon stickers printed to cover up the Virgin ones on the toilet walls? It must have been very tempting to have them made up with 'no more hot air' on the side.

And the toilets themselves have fallen silent...

My favourite (new) Northern effort is the official properly made up sign on Sunderland station pointing to 'Staduim of Light'. My autocorrect fought against that several times as I typed it. What kind of shoddy outfit would create, and then leave, something like that? Now we know.
Caught a train from Manchester to London on Wednesday and noticed that the station signs at Macclesfield have been changed to Avanti branding. Could not see any change elsewhere.

brendan999

I can't see that there would have been any basis on which Virgin could have challenged Avanti for using branding which was only remaining because Virgin had failed to meet their own contractual obligation to remove it.

Much more likely, I think, is that they have taken more care over it than other former-TOCs simply because Virgin Trains don't want their next venture associated with a service they no longer operate.
rebranding all well and good - but Avanti's webste lacking seat selctor is a catastrophy

Mathew S

Established Member
I remember thinking what an earth are these uglies that are mentioned all the time , never seen them.
Possibly the nicest things I've ever put in my mouth, and the only reason I bothered to use Virgin's First Class Lounge at Glasgow...
uglies-1080px.jpg
Caption: a photo of a small chocolate containing lumps of biscuit and fruit, next to a white wrapper branded "Uglies".

brendan999

Announcements have been rolled out on the trains. Says "Avanti West Coast" over the PA but "Avanti" on the PIS.

Sounds strange, but the announcements now sound more upbeat and confident.
i always enjoy the detailed explanation of the wonderful offerings in the shop on the train, I still wonder what it is they do to coffee to make it taste quite so foul

Status
Not open for further replies.