• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Energy

Established Member
I think it's not unlikely residual WCML IC would use 200m HS2 units for commonality. Would also provide for flexibility in the event of engineering work or incidents on HS2.
I'd expect route clearance on the whole WCML for HS2 classic compatible stock in case of engineering work.

Future stock also depends on how staff post HS2 is handled, the currently 5 1/2 hour long Euston to Edinburgh run via Birmingham (staying after HS2) means that Euston can't be the only staffing point unless TPE drivers are used for the 1tp2h to Edinburgh. Birmingham/Wolverhampton wouldn't be a bad pick but the Manchester service doesn't stop there.

Either way I'd imagine the Avanti Hitachis will be staying, any news on them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Some guy

I'd expect route clearance on the whole WCML for HS2 classic compatible stock in case of engineering work.

Future stock also depends on how staff post HS2 is handled, the currently 5 1/2 hour long Euston to Edinburgh run via Birmingham (staying after HS2) means that Euston can't be the only staffing point unless TPE drivers are used for the 1tp2h to Edinburgh. Birmingham/Wolverhampton wouldn't be a bad pick but the Manchester service doesn't stop there.

It will probably be the same as it is now london/Wolves Crews work up to Preston and then Preston/Glasgow/Edinburgh will sign towards edinburgh. There’s still going to be the classic services so a different company will run HS2 and a different will run the classic but that could change on nationalisation

Oxley this morning
It’s interesting they still haven’t got the new livery yet but that will be down to the government still not releasing if they’ve kept the contract or not

AJDesiro

It will probably be the same as it is now london/Wolves Crews work up to Preston and then Preston/Glasgow/Edinburgh will sign towards edinburgh. There’s still going to be the classic services so a different company will run HS2 and a different will run the classic but that could change on nationalisation

It’s interesting they still haven’t got the new livery yet but that will be down to the government still not releasing if they’ve kept the contract or not
The plain livery is very common for 80X deliveries, the TPE and Hull Trains 802s were delivered in an identical livery, Hitachi leave vinyls until last when it comes to livery. The vinyls will most likely be applied once the initial tests are complete.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The plain livery is very common for 80X deliveries, the TPE and Hull Trains 802s were delivered in an identical livery, Hitachi leave vinyls until last when it comes to livery. The vinyls will most likely be applied once the initial tests are complete.

Avanti's livery is vinyl on white anyway. The Pendolinos were done that way too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As well as the replies already given, this wouldn't affect anything as the government wouldn't scrap the duck egg striped livery implemented on all Pendolinos at this stage, with the installation of the matching interior well under way and almost complete on 11 car sets. They'd just remove the AWC logo.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I think it's not unlikely residual WCML IC would use 200m HS2 units for commonality. Would also provide for flexibility in the event of engineering work or incidents on HS2.

Keeping the Avanti Hitachis long term would also be required to maintain through services to unelectrified North Wales (unless there's a last minute shocker with HS2 bi-modes).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Keeping the Avanti Hitachis long term would also be required to maintain through services to unelectrified North Wales (unless there's a last minute shocker with HS2 bi-modes).

Or everyone just starts changing to HS2 at Crewe because it's quicker, and it is withdrawn entirely. We will have to see, it's a complex issue and not just practical, also very political.

Anyway...this isn't a speculative thread so we should probably leave it there.

LYuen

Assume HS2 Phrase 1 could be finished within a reasonable delay (2035-2040) and then Old Oak Common to Euston is resumed (2040-2045) and then HS2 Phase 2B is finalised and built (let say, 2050-2060)
I would say a full generation of classic lines rolling stocks (EMU and BMU) have to be maintained before HS2 opens.

IMO it doesn't make to much sense to purchase HS2 rolling stock to just run between London and Birmingham - too few of them are needed initially and the extension is also too uncertain.

supervc-10

Would 140 mph Hitachis running on HS2 to Crewe to then head to Wales play havoc with the pathing, or would it be OK? Might be a good option. Presume they're ETCS 'ready'?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
New thread for this post HS2 North Wales discussion:

Class455

Established Member
Have we got a list of the refurbishment progress of the 11 car Pendolinos? Surely there are not many left to be done though I noticed 390138 was still unrefurbished on Tuesday

hapt1n

390138 is due into Widnes this coming weekend. This will be set 26 of 35 11 cars.

Last edited:

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
I had 390104 from London Euston to Wolverhampton tonight on 9G43 20:06 off Euston and it was a refurbished Pendolino. My first time experience it and I was impressed overall. The seats are comfortable, bright atmosphere and it was an enjoyable experience. The tray tables are ok although not great for holding drinks because they will slide off. Information screes were good although could have done with a 3rd in my coach (B) as the other two were at either end and I was sat in the middle. Plenty of leg room. Plug and USB plug which is good and the WiFi was OK as well. They have done a good job in my opinion.

AJDesiro

how many of the 11 coach pendolinos have been refurbished and unrefurbished but also when will the 9 coach pendolinos be refurbished?
9 cars are being refurbished after the 11 cars since the 11 car refurbishment involves the conversion of coach G to standard, which the 9 car refurb doesn't require.